PRS hate! Why?

The funny part about people like this is they don't know what they don't know and they almost always say things that those in the know can tell they know nothing about what they are talking about.
EXACTLY!

Multiple clues on the PRS hater above, and several years of clues on the "amp guru" guy above. In fact, when he got exposed at TGP after his Instagram account was made public, MANY guys chimed in saying they knew much of what he said about all these high end amps was bull, and that they saw clues that he was just stating things he'd read about the amps and didn't actually own or play them.

They typically pick things up from other threads then start talking like an expert. They never seem to take into account that they may actually be trading posts with someone that has very in depth knowledge.

Steve Kimock used to post there, until I assume he got fed up with people talking out of their posteriors: so he quit the place.

The stories, the experience, the knowledge - whether of gear, of deep musical understanding or of interacting with other players of real quality - brought by people like him were quite literally priceless.

There's a very vocal minority there who seemingly can't get their head around the difference between priceless and worthless.

Steve Kimock used to post there, until I assume he got fed up with people talking out of their posteriors: so he quit the place.
Yes, SAD! But just one example of many. There are too many stupid things said there over the years to even count. I like when one of the clowns wants to argue with a pro OR the designer of the product. It's especially funny when they don't know who they're talking too and they tell them they're wrong.

The funny part about people like this is they don't know what they don't know and they almost always say things that those in the know can tell they know nothing about what they are talking about. I see it all the time. I love it when people get into discussions about bridges and start to say things like they are an expert when, in fact, if they had ever touched one they would know it works nothing like they think it does. They typically pick things up from other threads then start talking like an expert. They never seem to take into account that they may actually be trading posts with someone that has very in depth knowledge.

Or the good folk that take that advice to heart and therefore the misinformation perpetuates.

Older I get, less I give a f what somebody supposedly cool might say if they are talking about what they think isnt cool. Its been a long time since PRSi stereotypes got started, and a lot of people have been playing a lot of PRSi since. They make a huge range of models now. Only willfully ignorant person would say PRSi arent all good at what they do... stay in tune, play well and sound good. And many are beautiful to many people. I mainly just see and play with real bands in real life. It is largely true the kinds of bands I often see are indie rock, jammy or alt country here in North Carolina. So many dudes with Teles. Sometimes Gretsch or a Gibson. Seems like a lotta Bigsbys get hung on guitars on stages. Rarely see anybody deploy the Bigsby tho. A while back seems like hipsters with money had Duesenbergs. Theres always some contrarian wannabe with an offset Jazzmaster type. Punkish dont give damn types play beat junk looking guitars. It does seem that Hippies in jammy bands have accepted PRS or other pretty guitars with grainy woods and inlays. (Probably inspired by Santana and Jerry and Weir who long played pretty wood/inlay guitars). The only type who has the consistent 'cool guy' antiPRS attitude typically is a guy cultivating a particular look attached to the dress code of a genre. These are your punkish/alt/country bar band guys who hate looking wrong. Guys who can really play, play whatever and wear whatever ... John Mayer for instance wears shorts, giant headphones and plays PRS. And if you hate him ... and Dead and Co with him in it ... you have a bias not based on how that guy can play.

Last edited:
I think they've probably got less hate since they brought out the SE line.
You get a superb quality guitar that's affordable plus you get the logo.
I think the SE and S2 line helped tremendously. Making a PRS affordable was the best thing they could do to get rid of the "blues lawyer guitar" stereotype. Its not fair regardless to be honest when LP's and some Strats go for about the same these days. In my experience, PRS hates comes from two places:

1. People who are brand loyalists to makers such as ol Gibson for example, and will happily make excuses for shoddy craftsmanship of the former despite PRS being superior on average in quality. Ergo, PRS doesnt have "mojo" or "style" or "vibe", or whatever other word describing a non-quantifiable amount of a non-scientific imaginary commodity. This is Rhett Shull.

2. People looking for typical Fender/Gibson tones, judging a PRS by that measure instead of appreciating its own tone, proceed to blame the guitar for not being something it isnt. I spent $4000 on McCarty, why I no sound like Slash? PRS suck, boooo. People here fall into the category of claiming PRS does not have its own sound, when by thier own argument its tone is not the same as another guitar you like better, therefore it has its own tone. This is...alot of people I've known.

If I had a dollar for every fu...

Maybe I can give a somewhat nuanced perspective on this topic.

I recently bought my first PRS, a white Vela. So, obviously, I don’t hate PRS. That said, I can’t say I love the brand either. I’m enjoying my Vela. I really like the sound. I like the looks. It’s my first 25” scale guitar and I’m liking the different feel of that. I’m growing accustomed to the neck profile. But I doubt I’ll ever fall in love with it.

And this brings me to the things I don’t love about PRS. The neck feel was probably the number one thing that always put me off. I’m not sure what it is really. I just find the shape of most PRS’s feel odd. And for some strange reason, they don’t feel solid in my hand. They give me a similar sensation as a Parker that has a hard shell around a light inner core. Exactly why this is, I have no idea. It’s not like the guitars sound or feel light and hollow. It’s just something particular about the way my hand responds specifically to the neck.

Then there’s the looks. And this is purely a matter of personal taste. But the whole flamed/quilted thing strikes me as a tad gaudy and nouveau riche. And it’s not that I don’t appreciate bold statements. But I would go for chartreuse sparkle paint way before I would ever go for blue burst flamed maple.

However, the “hate” thing is simply absurd. PRS undeniably makes great guitars. They’re not for everyone. And there are some things about them that I don’t vibe with. But I’m enjoying my Vela and happy to own one.

I don’t know if my perspective adds anything useful to the conversation. Just wanted to share.

Then there’s the looks. And this is purely a matter of personal taste. But the whole flamed/quilted thing strikes me as a tad gaudy and nouveau riche. And it’s not that I don’t appreciate bold statements. But I would go for chartreuse sparkle paint way before I would ever go for blue burst flamed maple.
Don't take this the wrong way (as in freak out about me pointing this out), but I think many would find Sparkle paint to be much more nouveau riche than the patterns (quilts, maples, etc.) created in trees by mother nature (with some color accent added). As you said, a matter of personal taste, but my taste goes with mother natures patterns over sparkle paint ;~))

Don't take this the wrong way (as in freak out about me pointing this out), but I think many would find Sparkle paint to be much more nouveau riche than the patterns (quilts, maples, etc.) created in trees by mother nature (with some color accent added). As you said, a matter of personal taste, but my taste goes with mother natures patterns over sparkle paint ;~))
No doubt. I see sparkle paint as campy and irreverent. That might have to do with upbringing, cultural perspective, etc. Who knows?

But one of these guys looks pretentious and the other does not. You the be judge. (all in good fun! ;):) )

SYxpCdgnRwWKKLkWXXnZ2A.jpg

GettyImages-493672626.jpg

Hi guys,

Been following this thread with interest, and to me it’s not that much different from so many other things in life. No matter what the subject, or interest in discussion there will be advocates for, and therefore detractors against. I’m afraid it’s been hyped up to be a thing on its own, but sadly it is not. Once someone enters into print and offers high opinions of in this case a guitar, the absolute essential issue of their day is to oppose it. I’ve seen it almost all my days. Example: people hated, for a while anyway
until they realised they were well made, Japanese motorcycles. The usual comments around the time was not to be seen dead on one( odd phrase I know), same with Japanese cars. Maybe they are not the examples that you would consider, but it seems the haters were always there. And I tell you this, that when the next wonderful product arrives, and someone points out to us all its many benefits, pretty soon afterwards will come along the so called haters. It’s life man, it’s the way it is. Just be so happy that you have recognised something that suits you, and your purpose. That you have not run with the herd all the time, that you have recognised something others have not( maybe one day they might change their views) and be happy.I still love my Strats too, and I’m glad I have them, so room for a little variety too. Isn’t variety supposed to be the spice of life? Happy days.

I'm age 60, most of you all are quite younger I'm assuming. As you age you learn that other peoples options don't really matter. This is a great stage of life because on so many fronts, guitar being one, I literally don't give a **** about what others think of me. I have a bunch of great friends and my God. Those I listen to but petty stuff like this rolls off.

Good chance they are jealous, especially if you pull out a Core 10 stop. Stunners, I have 3. In my 30 plus years of playing here is what I need as a guitar player: a core (possibly CE) PRS with 85/15 humbuckers, my Fender Tele, my Clapton Strat and my 60's reissue Les Paul. I have way more guitars than that, I think 15, but if you took them all away and left me with these 4, I could play any genre.

If someone gave me **** about playing my P Stock (which has never happened), I'd question the persons motives as to why are you giving me crap cuz I play a PRS. I'm proud to showcase all my guitars but my P stock PRS, the one I'll have them bury me with, is an absolute dream. Play it with pride and tell a critic to get real. It's a freakin guitar. have fun.

They're different. It's a bias based on not knowing or caring enough about the product. When something is different, it takes quite a while for the product to prove itself compared to its peers. Meanwhile, the already-established bigger guitar builder faithful disparage the different one. Know why Paul espouses guitars that sing, and handle well. All this points to is why people dislike something that is different.

Seems like a lot of people don't care about the birds and the headstock. I do like the Santana and Silver Sky headstock. How about some different fretboard inlays like the celtic knot and script birds? Big moons with the phases you can see better. Just a thought.

Back