NGD: PRS SE McCarty 594 Black/Gold

Congrats! With the right due diligence in testing before buying, this model is a guitar that holds its own against private stocks, no hyperbole intended.
Thanks! The 6.9 lb weight and tight flame were the selling factors. I've yet to plug her in, but in my hands, the grip feels good. What will remain to be seen is whether there might be any needed tweaks (pickup height, bridge adjustment, truss rod, etc) before she'll be useful.

Regards not having tried the guitar prior to purchase, over the years I been able to expect that PRS Guitars are consistent from one guitar to the next, if not for small variances. Like others before me, I'm tempted to name this one "Garfield" or "Hobbes." I just don't want to name it "Rocky" for the Bullwinkle comparison....

Last edited:
Thanks! The 6.9 lb weight and tight flame were the selling factors. I've yet to plug her in, but in my hands, the grip feels good. What will remain too be seen is whether there might be any needed tweaks (pickup height, bridge adjustment, truss rod, etc) before she'll be useful.

Regards not having tried the guitar prior to purchase, over the years I been able to expect that PRS Guitars are consistent from one guitar to the next, if not for small variances. Like others before me, I'm tempted to name this one "Garfield" or "Hobbes." I just don't want to name it "Rocky" for the Bullwinkle comparison....
Congrats on the new axe! Looks good!! As for names, maybe run with the SE and call it "Superstar Edition" or some other clever variation on that acronym ;~))

Congrats on the new axe! Looks good!! As for names, maybe run with the SE and call it "Superstar Edition" or some other clever variation on that acronym ;~))
Thanx, Wily. I think the new axe will be named after one of our former family pets, a tiger tabby, we called "Tigbee." Part cat, part honeybee. Hate to say it, but it's huge tell of our affectionate names for our former cats. It IS an appropriate name, though, given the tight flame.

Just thought to add that if anyone is hankering for my McCarty, please check out my eBay sale. I've made the asking price very reasonable, and I expect that someone will soon grab this guitar. The asking price is now under $2K. Looking forward to sending the guitar to a new household soon.

WHAT A DEAL. I was tempted to get your McCarty and swapping the pickups for downtuning! Nearly pulled the trigger. Thank you for selling it.

WHAT A DEAL. I was tempted to get your McCarty and swapping the pickups for downtuning! Nearly pulled the trigger. Thank you for selling it.
Heh, you're welcome. They were the etched 58/15™ pickups.

As it was, I'd forgotten to do due diligence prepping of the guitar for sale and squirting some contact cleaner into the 3-way, in case it proves intermittent. Am hoping that the buyer can perform his own intonation and set-up, including the De-Oxit if needs be. Apologies already made.

Question for the forum:

Is it unusual to purchase a guitar but not test drive or play it for a week or two, until you feel the guitar has acclimated to your home?

My new SE 594 is doing exactly that, but for reason that my previous guitar that was listed on eBay was returned; the buyer stating the guitar was "defective" (unplayable above the B-string 22nd fret??) and that he wanted his money returned.

Strongly suggesting against it, I tried to reason with the buyer how he could simply make an adjustment and keep the guitar, rather than require shipment and refund. The buyer wasn't having it.

The guitar arrived home Thursday, maintenance was performed on the guitar, and was re-listed. Hopefully, somewhere within the interwebz there will be someone who appreciates nice things and is not as tire-kicker who acquires guitars to try them, then return them just because "it wasn't their cup of tea."

Having done due diligence this time so as to avoid any potential "defective" issues which would allow for return, the wait begins once again. If someone wants me, I'll be filling out my budget spreadsheet/tax forms for 2023-24.

Above the 22 fret on a 22 fret guitar? Ummmmmm. Yeah that happens all the time. It sounds like a turd when you depress where 23 would be on a 24 fret. Except it only has 22
You know what? I asked myself "How is it possible to play above the 22nd fret when there are only 22 frets?" Silly me.

Of course we'll refund your money. Ever consider lowering the treble side of the neck pickup where the string is f@rting out on, um, sir? We'll even offer to refund a portion of your purchase price if you'll have the guitar checked out by a tech who can tell you you're a ding-a-ling.

ANYway...the buyer received a refund, and the guitar is re-listed. We'll wait until someone decides to keep the guitar.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear you got a turd of a buyer. The problem with these sales platforms. Zero seller tights and all empowered buyers no matter the bs they spout and pull.

You know what? I asked myself "How is it possible to play above the 22nd fret when there are only 22 frets?" Silly me.

Of course we'll refund your money. Ever consider lowering the treble side of the neck pickup where the string is f@rting out on, um, sir? We'll even offer to refund a portion of your purchase price if you'll have the guitar checked out by a tech who can tell you you're a ding-a-ling.

ANYway...the buyer received a refund, and the guitar is re-listed. We'll wait until someone decides to keep the guitar.
Jeez, sorry you managed to find a dill pickle of a "buyer".
That really sucks as now out by shipping costs and aggravation factor.
It should be plain common knowledge that any guitar after shipping any distance needs to acclimate to its new surroundings and probably need a new good thorough set up before any playability decisions can be made.

A real bummer.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear you got a turd of a buyer. The problem with these sales platforms. Zero seller rights and all empowered buyers no matter the bs they spout and pull.
eBay did side with me for a while, but when the buyer wouldn't agree to a "repair", it was necessary to refund him. Even agreed to reimburse him for the bench fee. Nope. Hopefully the sale will proceed with no issues this time.
Jeez, sorry you managed to find a dill pickle of a "buyer".
That really sucks as now out by shipping costs and aggravation factor.
It should be plain common knowledge that any guitar after shipping any distance needs to acclimate to its new surroundings and probably need a new good thorough set up before any playability decisions can be made.

A real bummer.
Thanks for the moral support. The guitar only went from CT to NY. It was likely my fault for not making sure the important stuff was looked at...and that the guitar was ready to be shipped before it was packaged up. Lesson to us all...if the guitar was stored on a wall hanger for considerable time, best to inspect the guitar and check the intonation and extra tidbits before one puts it into a carton.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Finally spent some time with the SE 594 this afternoon and got a chance to evaluate it.

First Look: Well-appointed with tight tiger black gold flame, could be considered a 10-top by core standards. Plugging in, at first, thought there was an issue with the neck pickup not working. Switched to bridge, then realized the neck volume was turned down low.

Plays Well: Works exceptionally well with my current FM9 rig, almost no additional tweaks required of my presets, perhaps some EQ, master, and level outputs. Can see how this will work well as a complement to my additional guitars, each with its own voice and personality.

Feel/Vibe: The neck is pattern vintage, but feels narrower than my McCarty, a good fit within my hands. Neck feels smooth, not gummy/sticky. Electronics are positioned well, easy to reach and not cumbersome at all.

Sound/Tone: The 58/15 'S' pickups and mahogany/maple body do a good job recreating the sound and tone of much higher-priced guitars. Granted, if one wanted something closer to the real thing, you'd pay accordingly. The SE 594 is a great alternative at a sub-$1K price that does what I need, and then some.

Overall Impression: PRS checked all of the boxes regards this SE 594 for me. The guitar is an exceptional utility piece (meaning it can cover many styles and genres), and will serve well as my main guitar, with my SE DGT as its sibling.

Question for the forum:

Is it unusual to purchase a guitar but not test drive or play it for a week or two, until you feel the guitar has acclimated to your home?

My new SE 594 is doing exactly that, but for reason that my previous guitar that was listed on eBay was returned; the buyer stating the guitar was "defective" (unplayable above the B-string 22nd fret??) and that he wanted his money returned.

Strongly suggesting against it, I tried to reason with the buyer how he could simply make an adjustment and keep the guitar, rather than require shipment and refund. The buyer wasn't having it.

The guitar arrived home Thursday, maintenance was performed on the guitar, and was re-listed. Hopefully, somewhere within the interwebz there will be someone who appreciates nice things and is not as tire-kicker who acquires guitars to try them, then return them just because "it wasn't their cup of tea."

Having done due diligence this time so as to avoid any potential "defective" issues which would allow for return, the wait begins once again. If someone wants me, I'll be filling out my budget spreadsheet/tax forms for 2023-24.
Just thought to mention my 2015 McCarty which was returned from eBay...it's now re-listed there. Thanks for any of you who may have viewed my listing; the sale helped pay some bills this month, but the return placed a huge CC charge back on my card. Hoping to offload the McC soon.

Back