PRS hate! Why?

The only time I had anyone give me "grief" over playing a PRS live was in a tiny little town in a crappy poolhall when I was on the road with Demented Truth. One guy kept eyeing my guitars all night. I was playing a 57/08 LTD SC245 McCarty Burst and my Aqua S2 Singlecut Standard. After our set, when I was packing the van he came up and complimented on my sound. He said he was surprised because I was playing PRS and those guitars were all hype and nothing else.

Per usual, I got involved in a conversation. Many people would come and want to talk gear with me. They found it odd that I was doing heavy music with a "traditional looking" PRS into a Helix rack. This guy kept bagging on the SC245 because of the top and stain. He was in LOVE with the S2 Singlecut. He loved the pickguard and solid color vs. the quilted 10-top with vibrant stain.

I asked him if the SC245 sounded "bad". I knew the answer. he said "No" but followed by stating that the guitar ust didn't "look right". I chucked and took the 245 back out of the case and let him noodle on it for a minute. He smiled and handed it back after a minute or so. We did the same with the S2. He was shocked at how similar the feel was, but how different the resonance was between the two.

Ironically he said that he liked the feel of the 245 better, but would never buy one. Some people play with their eyes, not their hands, ears and hearts. Go figure. Those players are missing out.

Well .. basically this video ! I don’t care for peoples opinions on hating a brand but seriously

I have recently bought a PRS - it’s a dream guitar for me and will be a family heir loom. But why on earth when I take it to a blues club ( and it plays and sounds better than other brands ) are people giving me digs for owning one ? It’s literally an incredible instrument and it’s not like it’s trying to be a Gibson or fender ..
Some people think if they had a bad experience with a guitar of a certain brand every guitar of that brand sucks, some people don't like guitars they can't afford, some people only like brands their guitar hero plays, some people fancy themselves to be purists who will only play certain brands, some people aren't happy unless they are putting something or someone down and a lot of other reasons. But they all have one thing in common: they are narrow minded people who are only depriving themselves because of their stance.

Certainly won't stop me from buying a guitar I like.

I'm in the boat with most everyone here. If it plays well, sounds good, and you enjoy the guitar who cares the name on the headstock? I enjoy my guitars for the different playability and sounds they create. To be quite cliche: They are tools for a job. Each job may require a different tool. I mean, I have other brands that I enjoy playing as well and I love them immensely too. I will say that, all around, my PRS is the easiest playing guitar that I have. Sound wise it's subjective of course, but there is no denying the ease at which to play. That being said, I enjoy the "fight" that is sometimes required when playing a Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Gretsch, etc. too though. Just depends on my mood I guess. Brand loyalty is a real thing and that's fine, but I just like trying different things and hope that I'm open minded enough to appreciate other folks tastes. Just my $0.02.

Fenders early attempts at the”Spanish “ style electric guitar were heavily criticised according to records from the day. Why. Because Leo was taking on the established manner of doing things, and ploughing his own furrow so to speak. Look what happened to his brain child. Who had the last laugh? I know electric guitars were around more when Paul became involved, and decided to join in, but again, wanting to do things differently bought it’s critics.They never go away, they are always around, but I think the big difference is that Paul lives in a time when the internet is such a powerful tool to spread what ever your word is, be that good or bad. One thing Leo didn’t have to deal with.All the greats have their detractors, it goes with the territory.

At 2:35, this could be a scene out of Spinal Tap…

“Still got the old tagger on it….”

I won't even watch the video now that I know it is a PRS hate video. I am not giving the person more views.

The dude isn’t hating on PRS. The title should read “Why don’t people like PRS guitars?” He does a comparison with a Strat, but only for tones.

We all have our likes and prejudices, why should guitars be any different?
I wouldn't be caught dead buying a Ford (two bad experiences), but millions disagree on that. I'm old enough to remember and live by the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" but my HD buddies all snicker at my Goldwing.:D My local guitar tech is a diehard Strat guy, and he refused to take my SE Custom for a test spin when I got it. Now that he's done a setup on it 3 years later, he likes it. I don't actually like LP's myself, but hundreds of thousands (and likely Joe Bonamassa) would laugh at my 3 PRS axes because of what they aren't.
Meh, whatever floats yer boat man.

We all have our likes and prejudices, why should guitars be any different?
I wouldn't be caught dead buying a Ford (two bad experiences), but millions disagree on that. I'm old enough to remember and live by the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" but my HD buddies all snicker at my Goldwing.:D My local guitar tech is a diehard Strat guy, and he refused to take my SE Custom for a test spin when I got it. Now that he's done a setup on it 3 years later, he likes it. I don't actually like LP's myself, but hundreds of thousands (and likely Joe Bonamassa) would laugh at my 3 PRS axes because of what they aren't.
Meh, whatever floats yer boat man.
Sorry, I didn't get past Honda. Too much crazy in that post for me. :)

As you may have figured out, I drive a Ford (Explorer Sport) and ride a Harley (CVO Street Glide). ;)

At least we agree on PRS.

Actually every brand has it's "hate train". Since I own many brands I've gotten people disliking what I'm currently playing and saying "X" brand is better. Then I proceed to show them my favorite "X" brands I left at home lol. I always say I'm not a fan boy of any one brand, but PRS is the best one. I always stay friendly cuz...hey...we all play guitar!

Well .. basically this video ! I don’t care for peoples opinions on hating a brand but seriously

I have recently bought a PRS - it’s a dream guitar for me and will be a family heir loom. But why on earth when I take it to a blues club ( and it plays and sounds better than other brands ) are people giving me digs for owning one ? It’s literally an incredible instrument and it’s not like it’s trying to be a Gibson or fender ..
What are some of the "digs"?

Back