PRS hate! Why?

Buddy Colly

Well .. basically this video ! I don’t care for peoples opinions on hating a brand but seriously

I have recently bought a PRS - it’s a dream guitar for me and will be a family heir loom. But why on earth when I take it to a blues club ( and it plays and sounds better than other brands ) are people giving me digs for owning one ? It’s literally an incredible instrument and it’s not like it’s trying to be a Gibson or fender ..

Well .. basically this video ! I don’t care for peoples opinions on hating a brand but seriously

I have recently bought a PRS - it’s a dream guitar for me and will be a family heir loom. But why on earth when I take it to a blues club ( and it plays and sounds better than other brands ) are people giving me digs for owning one ? It’s literally an incredible instrument and it’s not like it’s trying to be a Gibson or fender ..
At 2:35, this could be a scene out of Spinal Tap…

Last edited:
Eh, last March I was at Chicago Music Exchange, wearing a Fender hoodie that read "Play It Loud," and looking at PRSs. I turned around, and some guy sneered at me and said, "Eww, don't play it loud if it's a Fender." So there's snobbery and attitude with other brands, too. I just said, "Uh huh," put the PRS back and walked away. He was saying something else, but I'd stopped listening.

Heck, a few weeks ago my dad's physical therapist, who arrived in a Kia, made a snide remark about the Mazda I was working on.

Even way back in music school I'd occasionally get cracks that I used a student-level Yamaha alto sax for my "legit" recitals. But I played them, and it worked.

So ignore those who sneer and make gear judgements. Just play and see if the sound helps them open their minds.

Last edited:
Brand loyalty runs deep in many older guitarists (like me…I’m 70). Fender and Gibson were THE brands to buy if and when you “arrived” as being recognized as a serious professional guitarist in the 50s and 60s. Owning an American made Fender Strat or Telly or a Gibson Les Paul, ES 335 or SG was a badge of accomplishment. So, many older guitarists still feel that no other brand of guitar but one of the two “gold standard” brands from their early days will ever do. The reality is that PRS guitars are far superior in tone and quality to any Fender or Gibson I have ever owned. I am more than willing to accept that fact, but there are many of my long-time guitarist friends who will NEVER agree with me because of their brand loyalty is so deeply ingrained in them…even to the point of being ridiculously protective of Fender and Gibson even though they know down deep they are wrong. These are the guys who push-back against PRS adoption as if they are defending their religion. Just ignore them…let them live in the past.

Are guitar players a cult because we only believe in 5 notes? :p

A good guitar is a good guitar, no matter the brand.
Period.
End of story.

"HERESY!
MY brand is the ONLY brand that is worth playing!"

As Daveporter 3376 said, it's like a religion.

Everyone is (Dare I use this word?) entitled to have their own beliefs,
to hold them close and to cherish them.
The problems arise when someone tries to "enlighten" another person,
and make them see the "one true God".
Then you get stuff like the crusades, the Spanish inquisition,
and blind loyalty to a guitar brand no matter what.

I feel a little bad for those who will not consider any guitar but the brand they play.
Those people have severely limited their horizons and are missing out on a lot of really nice guitars.

Once again:

A good guitar is a good guitar.
I don't care what it says on the headstock.

I've been rocking SE's only until about a week and a half ago. I haven't experienced the hate personally, but if someone criticized my guitar choice over cost, I think I would simply say something like "I'm sorry that you don't like my choice of instrument that I purchased with my hard earned money and I hope you don't lose any sleep over it. I'd feel terrible." and leave it at that.

Simple, the PRS guys get all the ladies.
That never happened to me. The rest of you must be hoarding them.

"Laz, what do you care, you're a happily married man."

"In my case, 'happily married' = temporary truce. But more ladies would certainly complicate things."

"And you don't want that."

"True, but I'm willing to be proven wrong!" :p

Back