PRS hate! Why?

Additional confusing things for me on relic guitars is if you accidently put a ding in the guitar, is it still mint?

Does the new ding reduce the resale value at all?

How does someone looking to purchase said guitar even know if there is additional damage on the guitar?

Maybe this is why people like relic guitars. Since nobody can tell that you damaged it, the used value stays the same regardless. It is a way to limit your loss of money when selling used... Is that it?
Can't wait to read about a lawsuit covering just that! Brilliant point!!

I’ve a MIJ Strat that has honest road wear on it. It was my only stage guitar for about seven years. I fell off tables with it, managed to sweat over it and melt the saddles, sweat into the pots etc. But it was partly my living and it was a tool for a job.

My Santana and SE 245 would be of course be treated with a little more tender care. But you can’t baby them when we are gigging, but I’m not gonna go all Pete Townsend/Jimi Hendrix on them.

I’ve a MIJ Strat that has honest road wear on it.
Love those MIJ Strats! Really cheap back in those days with great craftsmanship and good unplugged sound though the pickups s*cked

And very tolerant of abuse. Withstood sitting in a car (not in the sun) in 110 degree heat. The poly finish was more of a 1mm protective shell that was *almost* bulletproof:
BPD38631f.jpg

I've played guitars in the $800 - $1200 range all of my life, and the first ding is always the hardest. Then I ended up heavily modding an SE CU24 to the point that I think my total cost was around $2k, which included labor because I didn't know how to tap coils and install mini toggles. I never seems to worry too much about the dings. I never try to do anything to create wear, but just not that worried about it.

Then I bought my core maybe 5-6 weeks ago? Gorgeous guitar, and $$$ since it's a wood library. It came with a nitro satin finish, which looks and feels amazing, and the guitar is very resonant. But, the finish is soft and I put scratch marks on it the first jam session with the pick, because I lack discipline with the right hand. lol

Anyway, I was really bummed right at first about it, but then I remembered that I bought it to play, not to look at. I'm not into relic'ed guitars myself, so maybe in 10-15 years, if it needs it, I'll pay PRS to refinish it. Until then, I'll be adding to the pick marks here and there and smiling the entire time.

I've played guitars in the $800 - $1200 range all of my life, and the first ding is always the hardest. Then I ended up heavily modding an SE CU24 to the point that I think my total cost was around $2k, which included labor because I didn't know how to tap coils and install mini toggles. I never seems to worry too much about the dings. I never try to do anything to create wear, but just not that worried about it.

Then I bought my core maybe 5-6 weeks ago? Gorgeous guitar, and $$$ since it's a wood library. It came with a nitro satin finish, which looks and feels amazing, and the guitar is very resonant. But, the finish is soft and I put scratch marks on it the first jam session with the pick, because I lack discipline with the right hand. lol

Anyway, I was really bummed right at first about it, but then I remembered that I bought it to play, not to look at. I'm not into relic'ed guitars myself, so maybe in 10-15 years, if it needs it, I'll pay PRS to refinish it. Until then, I'll be adding to the pick marks here and there and smiling the entire time.
Get a good coat of nitro safe polish on the guitar. I find that really helps prevent the small and minor scratches. It will make the finish a little slippery and will keep some things from putting scratches in it.

I am also not sure on whether the PRS nitro finish hardens over time like Gibson does. I have had my Studio out of it's case since I got it and I would almost swear the finish has hardened up a little since last November. PRS refinished a guitar of mine a couple of years ago. I left that one out for months as well after I got it back. I think that one hardened up a little too. It could all be in my head but they feel different to me after being out in the air for a few months.

Brand loyalty runs deep in many older guitarists (like me…I’m 70). Fender and Gibson were THE brands to buy if and when you “arrived” as being recognized as a serious professional guitarist in the 50s and 60s. Owning an American made Fender Strat or Telly or a Gibson Les Paul, ES 335 or SG was a badge of accomplishment. So, many older guitarists still feel that no other brand of guitar but one of the two “gold standard” brands from their early days will ever do. The reality is that PRS guitars are far superior in tone and quality to any Fender or Gibson I have ever owned. I am more than willing to accept that fact, but there are many of my long-time guitarist friends who will NEVER agree with me because of their brand loyalty is so deeply ingrained in them…even to the point of being ridiculously protective of Fender and Gibson even though they know down deep they are wrong. These are the guys who push-back against PRS adoption as if they are defending their religion. Just ignore them…let them live in the past.
Let them play one of your PRS's. They'll understand even if they don't admit it.

Back