PRS hate! Why?

I don’t see folks focusing on a real issue PRS has. Many of the high end models are gorgeous, expensive, and so precious they appear designed only for a showcase. I don’t know if many get played but I see them for sale in mint condition, for collectors. Given the fact that these are guitars, instruments for musicians, some folks like to deride the entire line. Not right - but PRS has set itself up for criticism.
I can't agree with that assessment at all. I have played plenty of gigs with my PRS core guitars. I have played some pretty nice stages all the way down to hole in the wall bar gigs with them. I have a number of friends in this area that also play PRS core guitars. I have been playing mine ever since I bought the first one years ago.

Back in the 90’s you had the choice of dots/moons or birds, the birds weren’t forced on you like they are now. I wish PRS would go back to that. There were also many more finish options including some great solid color metallic finishes. So people who didn’t like the bling had options.

As for the headstock, I find it extremely dated at this point. Very 80’s looking. I think if they would just *slightly* round off all the points it would do wonders for the look. It would still look like a PRS, just a bit less dated.
The lines of the headstock tie into the lines of the body. There is a YouTube video somewhere where they explain how the lines tie in. Once you see it it all sort of makes sense. I always liked the compact headstock on Ernie Ball guitars. I like the PRS headstock a little more. It is sure as heck tons better than the James Tyler headstock.

Correct me if I am misinterpretting, but you are saying that producing some of the most beautiful guitars in the world was a bad move because people would hate the entire line (aka set themselves up for criticism)?

I can tell you that I play all three of of my PRSi (a core, a WL and a PS) and they are still in amazing condition ;~))
I didn’t say it was a bad move. It’s been a very strong move by PRS. It’s invited criticism. I don’t agree with the criticism. I have and play a core PRS.

I can't agree with that assessment at all. I have played plenty of gigs with my PRS core guitars. I have played some pretty nice stages all the way down to hole in the wall bar gigs with them. I have a number of friends in this area that also play PRS core guitars. I have been playing mine ever since I bought the first one years ago.

I have a friend who cheerfully thrashes his DGT, seemingly unconcerned about marks or wear. It sounds great.

My McCarty has some small but honourably-won battle scars too. I am just a little careful with it, as it's the best one I've ever found, and I'd rather not put dinks or divots in the neck (if they can reasonably be avoided).

The lines of the headstock tie into the lines of the body. There is a YouTube video somewhere where they explain how the lines tie in. Once you see it it all sort of makes sense.

True!

I always liked the compact headstock on Ernie Ball guitars. I like the PRS headstock a little more. It is sure as heck tons better than the James Tyler headstock.

The only one of these that I really don't like is the EBMM :(

I genuinely enjoy the whole Tyler thing, though it's been purely as a spectator so far - especially the expectation that, if someone turns up with one, they'd also better be coming with some decent skills..... or be prepared to look properly foolish :rolleyes:

The lines of the headstock tie into the lines of the body. There is a YouTube video somewhere where they explain how the lines tie in. Once you see it it all sort of makes sense. I always liked the compact headstock on Ernie Ball guitars. I like the PRS headstock a little more. It is sure as heck tons better than the James Tyler headstock.
I wasn’t talking about the core guitars. I have a core model. The $10K - 25K models don’t get played much that I see. And I’m not criticizing PRS. I just think that’s one real reason some folks trash the company. It’s not jealousy - many of the haters play other decent guitars.

I wasn’t talking about the core guitars. I have a core model. The $10K - 25K models don’t get played much that I see. And I’m not criticizing PRS. I just think that’s one real reason some folks trash the company. It’s not jealousy - many of the haters play other decent guitars.
Some of my hollow body PRS guitars are a bit expensive and I have gigged those. I have a couple of P22 guitars that were a bit expensive in comparison to other core models and I have gigged those as well. In all honesty if I had a private stock, I wouldn't be afraid to take it out and play it either. Why have it if you can't enjoy it?

What I see is that people really want PRS guitars and they will stretch themselves financially to buy one and once they get it they are deathly afraid to scratch it. They purchased something outside of their comfort zone. That is completely on them and the company is no way responsible for that. I have met people that did nothing but bash PRS when they couldn't afford to buy one but the day they were finally able to buy one all they did was sing the praises and brag about the guitar. Did the guitar change in that time? Nope.

I have a friend who cheerfully thrashes his DGT, seemingly unconcerned about marks or wear. It sounds great.

My McCarty has some small but honourably-won battle scars too. I am just a little careful with it, as it's the best one I've ever found, and I'd rather not put dinks or divots in the neck (if they can reasonably be avoided).

True!

The only one of these that I really don't like is the EBMM :(

I genuinely enjoy the whole Tyler thing, though it's been purely as a spectator so far - especially the expectation that, if someone turns up with one, they'd also better be coming with some decent skills..... or be prepared to look properly foolish :rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong, I take very good care of my guitars. I have been doing my own work on my guitars for a very long time. I make sure they are in top playing shape 24x7. My guitars are the last thing to go on the stage and the first thing to come off. If you take a little care with things they will last for a very long time. My guitars are still in great condition and it is all due to how I take care of them. They have seen many stages and still look great.

Some of my hollow body PRS guitars are a bit expensive and I have gigged those. I have a couple of P22 guitars that were a bit expensive in comparison to other core models and I have gigged those as well. In all honesty if I had a private stock, I wouldn't be afraid to take it out and play it either. Why have it if you can't enjoy it?

What I see is that people really want PRS guitars and they will stretch themselves financially to buy one and once they get it they are deathly afraid to scratch it. They purchased something outside of their comfort zone. That is completely on them and the company is no way responsible for that. I have met people that did nothing but bash PRS when they couldn't afford to buy one but the day they were finally able to buy one all they did was sing the praises and brag about the guitar. Did the guitar change in that time? Nope.
I think Dennis Fano got it right - he said he distresses all his Novo models so people actually play them.

I'm over the distressed/relic thing now. It used to be cool but now so many are over the top now I just want a guitar to have a glossy or satin nitro finish.

I'm over the distressed/relic thing now. It used to be cool but now so many are over the top now I just want a guitar to have a glossy or satin nitro finish.
I never understood it nor was I ever a fan. It has always been a mystery to me why anyone would pay more for a beat up guitar instead of buying the nice pretty new one and letting the story be their own. I take extremely good care of my guitars. I have guitars that are decades old that look nearly new. They have been used but not abused. I have played gigs with every one of them. I have worked hard for everything I own and I take care of my things so I don't have to replace them. I buy quality things and respect them. I have always sort of felt that people that don't take care of their things didn't have to work hard enough for the money to have respect for the items they spent the money on.

I never understood it nor was I ever a fan. It has always been a mystery to me why anyone would pay more for a beat up guitar instead of buying the nice pretty new one and letting the story be their own. I take extremely good care of my guitars. I have guitars that are decades old that look nearly new. They have been used but not abused. I have played gigs with every one of them. I have worked hard for everything I own and I take care of my things so I don't have to replace them. I buy quality things and respect them. I have always sort of felt that people that don't take care of their things didn't have to work hard enough for the money to have respect for the items they spent the money on.
I am with you on all accounts. And I am going to point a finger at the ripped jeans stuff that started I think in the 80's when folk bought jeans with rips in them already and paid more for them than a good pair of unripped Levi's 501s! And it seems to continue to this day ;~(( My girlfriend will literally bust my balls about a rip in a a shirt or pants, etc. and then go and spend $150 on some ripped jeans!!! I just don't get it. Is it really that much cooler to have somebody else make it LOOK like something has been used and suffered from wear and tear? A fascinating phenomenon with which I have first hand knowledge of the consequences but am still confused about the logic of such attractions!!!

I am with you on all accounts. And I am going to point a finger at the ripped jeans stuff that started I think in the 80's when folk bought jeans with rips in them already and paid more for them than a good pair of unripped Levi's 501s! And it seems to continue to this day ;~(( My girlfriend will literally bust my balls about a rip in a a shirt or pants, etc. and then go and spend $150 on some ripped jeans!!! I just don't get it. Is it really that much cooler to have somebody else make it LOOK like something has been used and suffered from wear and tear? A fascinating phenomenon with which I have first hand knowledge of the consequences but am still confused about the logic of such attractions!!!
I remember one of my friends in high school got "work grounded" for a month, for taking brand new jeans his parents bought him and cutting "rips" in them. His parents made him work until he paid for two new pairs of jeans and grounded him until they were paid for.

If you’ve ever had a chance to play a custom shop NOS Fender or Gibson blindfolded side-by-side with a Relic or Murphy-aged version, you might understand a bit more. The relic’d one will feel better and more broken-in. Other than that, it’s just a vibe thing which some people appreciate and some don’t. But whenever I’ve been able to compare NOS vs aged, I’ve always liked the feel and vibe of the aged one better. Looks-wise some of them can definitely be way over the top though.

If you’ve ever had a chance to play a custom shop NOS Fender or Gibson blindfolded side-by-side with a Relic or Murphy-aged version, you might understand a bit more. The relic’d one will feel better and more broken-in. Other than that, it’s just a vibe thing which some people appreciate and some don’t. But whenever I’ve been able to compare NOS vs aged, I’ve always liked the feel and vibe of the aged one better. Looks-wise some of them can definitely be way over the top though.
That broken in feeling is really in the neck IMHO. There are things that can be done in the build process that can give that broken in feeling. The main one is rolling the fretboard edges. A perfect example for me is the PRS Studio that I bought last fall. It is a brand new guitar and it feels as comfortable as my CU22 from 2006 when playing it. I have been nothing but amazed at how good the Studio feels after I tweaked the setup on it to my liking. It just feels good to play it. I would still rather play my new guitar in or add a little roll to the fretboard edges myself than to pay more for a guitar that has been distressed.

I am just one of those people that never has and never will get it or desire it. I have always been someone that tries to make every guitar I touch look and play as good as I can. It would drive me nuts having a relic guitar. I would always be looking for ways to make it look better to rejuvenate it.

I am just one of those people that never has and never will get it or desire it. I have always been someone that tries to make every guitar I touch look and play as good as I can. It would drive me nuts having a relic guitar. I would always be looking for ways to make it look better to rejuvenate it.

My thoughts exactly. I also bought a PRS Core Studio last year. It is one of the best playing guitars I have ever owned.

I liked relics at first. A few dings and the neck is worn in to feel like a well played instrument. Now Gibson has a Murphy labs les paul for 20k and Fender has extreme relics for 5k or more. It seems like PRS can get the comfortable feel without distressing it.

I do not get the Murphy Labs thing. I was pissed when I ordered a new non-reliced R7 and it came with aged hardware. That kind of stupid cannot be fixed. In my humble opinion, the pre-beatup guitar thing is for professional musicians who have a naturally reliced guitar that they no longer want to take on the road. For all others, it is little more than a posuer thing.

Additional confusing things for me on relic guitars is if you accidently put a ding in the guitar, is it still mint?

Does the new ding reduce the resale value at all?

How does someone looking to purchase said guitar even know if there is additional damage on the guitar?

Maybe this is why people like relic guitars. Since nobody can tell that you damaged it, the used value stays the same regardless. It is a way to limit your loss of money when selling used... Is that it?

Back