About retire.

Over the last 32 years, I think and hope I've gotten better at my work. I love it. People have asked why I don't retire. My answer is, "Why would I? I love what I do. I can't wait to get up and do it again the next day."
You are a very lucky person. It would be wonderful if everyone had that.

I am hesitant. I guess it’s really fear of the unknown. I don’t want the adapting part to take a tole on me. I am not the “Florida snowbird” kind of person. I can’t and won’t fit the usual mold of an”retired” person. I don’t go to the legion and drink all day. I don’t play cards(a big yuck) I will never be your average senior citizen.
I will always be a rebel. Ppl say “act” your age. Nah life will be done MY way and not what society would expect from me. I blew off all my supposed friends. Too many unsavoury things happened. These are old friendships too. 1 being a 35 yr old friendship. I am an introvert so I am good with my just guitar buddies, doggos and family. Being by myself self is very important to my well being. The OP are the “where’s the grandchildren and my slippers and pipe. They are so boring and all they do is talk about their grandchildren. They just sit there day after day getting fatter and less healthier. I think those images of them in my head will keep me on my toes. Each to their own.

I think nows the time to be my own advocate and super hero.

I will never be able to sit and do nothing or maybe I will give in to feeling sorry for myself of and do just that. That’s very scary.

Last edited:
<snip>

Sitting around the house isn't fun and isn't healthy. Even when I stop working permanently (retire) I still will nee SOMETHING TO DO. I'll play and exercise more, but that can't fill an entire day/every day. Maybe if I had a studio (even a dedicated room for music) like watlessness does, it would be a little different, IDK.
I understand where you're coming from. I got out of the Rat Race to do what I love while I was still physically able to so. This past month I have had most of my time consumed with looking for a new house, making my available music time very limited, and I found it very difficult to take advantage of a half hour here, an hour there, because I just couldn't mentally let go enough to be creative. I started to slip back into the mode of watching TV to unwind like I did when I had a full-time job and I really don't care for it.

That said, when there are no outside pressures on my time and I am free to musicate all day I am in there working diligently. Being a poly instrumentalist means there is always a part that needs to be recorded. And if you're looking to do orchestral work I think you'll find that there are always more parts to create. And from a mixing perspective, there are so many plugins to try; soooo many plugins. Once you start the ball rolling I think you will find that it tends to pull you in without you having to work at it and it really gets to be quite fun.

The OP are the “where’s the grandchildren and my slippers and pipe. They are so boring and all they do is talk about their grandchildren. They just sit there day after day getting fatter and less healthier. I think those images of them in my head will keep me on my toes. Each to their own.

Agree- to each their own. It's quite possible that, despite them being "fat and boring"... they are happier than you? You'll never know of course. You do you, they do them. Happiness is the goal. While I also cherish and NEED my alone time, I couldn't imagine NOT having my family (mostly my wife's family, and our small circle of friends, who we see all the time, because I moved here permanently when I married her.). I'm NOT a "people person", but I AM a "family and friends" person. I couldn't imagine life without them.

This is also why I get kind of angry when friends say "when we retire we are leaving this expensive state!".... huh? You're leaving because of MONEY? Really? What about your lifelong friends? You don't care that you will barely see them ever again? Gee, thanks.... I don't get it. I never will. Home is where the love is, and that includes the people you love and those who love you. You don't walk away from that because "Florida is cheaper and no snow". BS!!

I am hesitant. I guess it’s really fear of the unknown. I don’t want the adapting part to take a tole on me. I am not the “Florida snowbird” kind of person. I can’t and won’t fit the usual mold of an”retired” person. I don’t go to the legion and drink all day. I don’t play cards(a big yuck) I will never be your average senior citizen.
I will always be a rebel. Ppl say “act” your age. Nah life will be done MY way and not what society would expect from me. I blew off all my supposed friends. Too many unsavoury things happened. These are old friendships too. 1 being a 35 yr old friendship. I am an introvert so I am good with my just guitar buddies, doggos and family. Being by myself self is very important to my well being. The OP are the “where’s the grandchildren and my slippers and pipe. They are so boring and all they do is talk about their grandchildren. They just sit there day after day getting fatter and less healthier. I think those images of them in my head will keep me on my toes. Each to their own.

I think nows the time to be my own advocate and super hero.
if you dont NEED your job financially, and you don't LIKE your job then come July you need to be gone. The worst thing you can have happen is that you find that you'd rather be working than be retired, and you go find another job that you find more fulfilling, or at the very least, less sucky

Oh I am out of here June 30th absolutely. My job has sucked the virtual life out of me. It makes me physically and mentally sick. When I am at work and I mentally crucify everyone I work with and that is a big red flag. There is something that is very wrong.

You are absolutely right. I am a very viable person. I have a wide range of skills. Maybe even working at the food bank and maybe another job 1 or 2 days a week.

I know me all to well and I think the former paragraph is perfect for me. I don’t even know how to volunteer. What agencies do I hook up with?

I just saw my sons ex and told her I was retiring with work. I told her if all things I want to do. I told her I didn’t want to be a stagnant retiree. She there’s no hope in hell of that happening. They were together for almost 6 years so she knows me pretty well!

Last edited:
If My Job Was That Bad I Wouldn't Be Waiting, I Would Be Gone.
I can’t right atm because of my benefits. My husband has to take a very expensive drug which is part paid for by my benefits.

I can’t right atm because of my benefits. My husband has to take a very expensive drug which is part paid for by my benefits.
I Understand All That But There Has To Be More Than One Way To Skin A Cat. While It Is Admirable What You Are Doing It Is Also Just As Detrimental To You And Your Health By Doing It. There Has To Be A Better Job For You Out There That Doesn't Put You In The Place You Say This One Puts You In And Still Can Get The Medicine Sorted For Your Husband.

I have decided come June 30th that will be my last day forever with this outrageously horrible company that I have given my life blood for. Why June 30 th you ask? My husband needs this very expensive medication that my benefits cover most of it. The gov’t kicks in the rest. He will be finished this particular medication June 30th. I thought I would stay another couple of years until I was 60 but I just can’t stomach this company anymore. I feel sick going into work because of the demands placed on me. I have been there too long and hence know basically how everything works. Get called in on my holidays, my days off and have missed important family events like birthdays etc. Just the toxicity my work place has developed over time has become just a way to much and so unnecessary. I am done never to return.

Music is my life and I seriously want to do something with it. I need to set up a structured future for myself. Do I go back to school to obtain a degree just for my own personal growth. Do I just just find a whole bunch of bands to play in a couple of times a week? Do I put together another band? Idk I would seriously just love to do this but reality does get in the way.

And I am going to get right back into fitness. I really want to hit the weights just light ones to maintain my bone density. Besides after a workout I feel incredible. It’s such a high. And I hike now with my youngest son. I don’t get to spend much time with him because of our schedules but hiking is such a great way for us to get out into nature and have some bonding time.

I will never waste my time in from the tv. I barely watch it anymore. I can sit for 5 minutes and then I am off to grab my guitar. My husband will watch for hours on end but atm he has no choice.

I just don’t want things to be “time fillers” before I visit my hero upstairs EVH.

Any tips tricks or tell us your story!

Do you have a DAW? If not, I would strongly suggest getting one. They are great for everything from rote to composition imo.

I figured out that when I leave June 30th these bubbleheads will still be in (prison)! I got the last laugh. This is working for me beautifully. My anger is almost gone. I just answer when spoken to in a very courteous fashion and then ignore them.

This really sucks. I just got called in to help solve a situation on my DAY OFF!

I have a get out of jail free card coming my way it can not soon enough though.

If I had of said NO the BS is just not worth wading through.

This really sucks. I just got called in to help solve a situation on my DAY OFF!

I have a get out of jail free card coming my way it can not soon enough though.

If I had of said NO the BS is just not worth wading through.
Show 'em who's boss Lola! They need you more than you need them!! Just remember your guits and pooches are waiting for you when you return from your work hell!!!

Show 'em who's boss Lola! They need you more than you need them!! Just remember your guits and pooches are waiting for you when you return from your work hell!!!
When I leave I will write a scathing review of this company for the world to see.

I will unleash the beast.

I tell the youngsters who get hired not to get sucked into this company like I did. Quite a few uni students. I tell them, finish your education and don’t ever work for a company as such.

Nine Fridays until retirement for me. Very likely consulting for my current employer within days to weeks after. The difference will be part time, and not as a direct employee.

Also probably consulting for some of our customers.

Or I might blow it off in favor of volunteering, working at something completely different, or working on my finger callouses.

I went in last night for 4 hours and within 15 minutes or so I had the problem figured out. I left specific instructions on what to and how to handle this. Not one person could understand what I wrote. My hand writing and printing are extremely neat. Did they just play dumb so I would get sucked in and come and do this for them. My project today is to see how many days left including my vacation, sick days, and 2 days(weekends). Something I will do with relish.

I went in last night for 4 hours and within 15 minutes or so I had the problem figured out. I left specific instructions on what to and how to handle this. Not one person could understand what I wrote. My hand writing and printing are extremely neat. Did they just play dumb so I would get sucked in and come and do this for them. My project today is to see how many days left including my vacation, sick days, and 2 days(weekends). Something I will do with relish.
If you’re not already working for the Government, you should consider it. Four hours to do 15 minutes of work sounds about right. lol

If you’re not already working for the Government, you should consider it. Four hours to do 15 minutes of work sounds about right. lol
I have a bunch of inept coworkers. I have to babysit them. If something should happen to go wrong it falls in my shoulders. I won’t tolerate any of this sh*t. I have had enough. Enough is enough.

I have a bunch of inept coworkers. I have to babysit them. If something should happen to go wrong it falls in my shoulders. I won’t tolerate any of this sh*t. I have had enough. Enough is enough.
I get it. I was merely trying to lighten things up a bit.

When I leave I will write a scathing review of this company for the world to see.

I will unleash the beast.
Will that make you happy? Real peace comes from forgiveness if needed, and walking away. Put it in the rearview. Dwelling on it afterwards and leaving reviews, spreading the word etc. won't give you the peace that you think it will. Don't walk away and dwell on how bad it was, and especially not on telling others how bad it was. Walk away with peace that it is now behind you and that alone makes the days ahead brighter.

Back