Which USA model has a similar neck to the SE?

Bdubs

Hi there,

I have owned and played a PRS SE for years and am looking into finally getting a USA model. It’s just the standard model from the early 2000’s. I just want a guitar that feels similar to the neck profile on mine. I have seen a lot of mixed information on which models have which neck profiles so I’m starting to get confused. I am leaning towards either a Custom 22 or 24, or maybe a McCarty. I don’t have many dealers near me and the McCarty I tried out recently had a way different feel. Just looking to upgrade to a better version with whatever neck is on my SE. Anybody know where I can get a clear answer?

If you have an SE from before 2010, I believe most of those were the wide-fat profile, which is now the pattern profile. So actually, the McCarty would have had that profile (unless it was a 594 model).

Perhaps if you can tell us what you didn’t like, or would like more than that, we can steer you to a better choice?

It would help to know what model and year your guitar is. A pic would be helpful, if you dont know. Your serial number will tell you the year. You can find the info on the PRS website.

What McC were you looking at, a McCarty or 594? They have differnet profiles. What year Cu24 and Cu22? There are different profiles floating out there. The PRS site also has the measurements of profiles listed in a chart.

necks-newf9d72ea64ea25f1e.jpg

the guitar I tried was a 594
That has the Pattern Vintage profile. Chunky monkey with a asymmetrical carve. Not for everyone. It took me a long time to warm up to it and still not always there. And I'm not a profile sensitive player.

If you have an SE from before 2010, I believe most of those were the wide-fat profile, which is now the pattern profile. So actually, the McCarty would have had that profile (unless it was a 594 model).

Perhaps if you can tell us what you didn’t like, or would like more than that, we can steer you to a better choice?
Thanks so much for the info, the guitar I tried was a 594 and it seemed quite different to me. I am thinking the McCarty based off what you are describing because I am honestly only interested in the stoptail bridge like my SE has. Although, the vintage tuners aren’t my first choice but if it plays well I’ll be happy! I do like the looks of the Customs but they are hard to find with a stoptail.

It would help to know what model and year your guitar is. A pic would be helpful, if you dont know. Your serial number will tell you the year. You can find the info on the PRS website.

What McC were you looking at, a McCarty or 594? They have differnet profiles. What year Cu24 and Cu22? There are different profiles floating out there. The PRS site also has the measurements of profiles listed in a chart.

necks-newf9d72ea64ea25f1e.jpg
It appears to be a 2007 Korean made model based off of the criteria listed in the link above. I can’t figure out how to upload photos directly unfortunately.

That has the Pattern Vintage profile. Chunky monkey with a asymmetrical carve. Not for everyone. It took me a long time to warm up to it and still not always there. And I'm not a profile sensitive player.
Okay thanks! Yeah it isn’t bad by any means but it just didn’t feel right for me.

It appears to be a 2007 Korean made model based off of the criteria listed in the link above. I can’t figure out how to upload photos directly unfortunately.
A image hosting site is used for here. Upload there and copy the link.

2007 with stoptail? Double cut or Singlecut?

Custom 22 stoptail with a widefat profile. Probably my favorite profile, the Pattern is, but they are essentially the same or close enough.
Ok great thanks so much! And some of the McCarty models have wide fat necks too? I have noticed most for sale online don’t specify these details.

Ok great thanks so much! And some of the McCarty models have wide fat necks too? I have noticed most for sale online don’t specify these details.
Welcome! Yup you'll want to look for Pattern or Widefat. A McCarty would fit the bill. Killer guitars

One more question on the SE models…the stock PRS tuners are not holding tune great anymore. I am going to possibly put on some PRS Phase II tuners to replace them. I know that I will need to drill new holes to accommodate the new mounts but does anyone recommend these or are there any better options?

One more question on the SE models…the stock PRS tuners are not holding tune great anymore. I am going to possibly put on some PRS Phase II tuners to replace them. I know that I will need to drill new holes to accommodate the new mounts but does anyone recommend these or are there any better options?
Pick you up some se locking tuners or contact John Mann is what I'd do. Direct drop in and play

Back