To sell, or not to sell, that is the question

3 decades? When the term "Baby Boomers" was first used in the early 1960's to describe the post-war "baby boom" when soldiers came home and started families. It was specifically children born 1945 - 1955. In the 60 years since the phrase was first used "Baby Boomer" has been expanded to include anyone over 50 and sometimes even anyone over 40 - so Millennials are now becoming Boomers. Simply put the definition of "Baby Boomers" has been expanded to include more people who it is socially acceptable to hate as ageism is that last form of bigotry that doesn't incur a backlash.

And yes, some "Boomers" were downsizing before the pandemic but, per some recent reporting, interest rates and a tight housing supply have made it more practical to stay in their current homes. Although I think the Boomers are just hanging on to their bigger homes to torment Millennials and Zoomers who decided to move to the suburbs en masse because someone told them having toilets to repair and lawns to mow would give their lives meaning during the pandemic lockdowns.
The problem I am seeing today is that the generations are turning on each other due to the difficulties of making it in this country. However, the financial difficulties Millennials and Zoomers are experiencing has less to do with Boomers than it does with the capital class looting the country. The only thing that most workers own that is taxed as a long-term capital gain is the gain on the real estate they own and most people only own the home in which they live, if they own that.

Anyone who does not believe me only needs to examine GDP growth with respect to personal wealth growth. More and more of the growth in GDP has gone to capital at the cost of labor over the last 40 years due the one-two punch of supply-side taxation (low taxation on capital and other forms of investment income) coupled with global labor arbitrage (shopping for the cheapest place to produce goods and services in the world). That is why the stacks of billionaires keep getting higher and everyone else feels like they are falling behind. The people who are getting hammered tax-wise are upper middle class workers. When the supply-side stimulus was first introduced by the Reagan administration (cooked up by the Heritage Foundation) in the early eighties, America produced a large portion of what it consumed, so freeing up capital via preferrential taxation on capital-based income did have a "trickle down" effect to workers via the creation of domestic jobs. However, forty years of globalization has resulted in working Americans being divorced from these tax savings. No single politician is going to fix this problem, regardless of the promises he/she may make because it is not a political problem. It is a tax code problem. The only thing that is going to bring things back to Earth is either elmininating the supply-side stimulus and taxing long-term capital gains like ordinary income (what the little people earn) or at least targerting preferrential tax treatment to gains earned by investing in companies that improve the finanical outlook of domestic workers. So far, the capital class is not giving up without a fight.

Anyway, I am going to step down from my soapbox before this thread gets locked. I have met a lot of the long-term posters at Experience. I am certain that most people on this forum are smart enough to get the real reason why things are getting harder for normal people in this country. There is a certain class of low-information worker who is looking for a messiah. However, the only thing that will fix the problem is educating people about that the problems with the tax code and I will leave it at that.

I'll start by saying DON'T SELL IT. Would be a huge mistake. The core Mira's are hard to come by and it's a guitar that is in high demand. Check Reverb, you won't find many Core Mira's left. You've got a guitar that will increase in value.

I have P Stock and all other PRS guitars are core and killer guitars. Awhile back I heard Keith from Five Watt World review his THREE Mira's and I was sold, had to have one. Took months but I found one and it's KILLER. Don't sell yours. Phillip McKnight for Know your Gear has owned probably thousands of guitars but often refers to his Core Mira as one of his favorites. Google Leon Todd, an incredible player with killer tone and like Phil, absolutely loves his Mira. Search out his YouTube of him demoing his.

I paid $1,500 for mine about 6 months, took me months of waiting and searching to find. It's an 08, mint shape, weighs 6.8 pounds and now one of my go to, never sell guitars. If you keep it, drop in some Lindey Fraylin P90 noiseless pickups and it will become one of your favorite guitars. The pickups weren't cheap, I think a bit over $300 but worth every single penny. The guitar came alive and now I'm finding I grab for alot during my practice time, just cuz it's cool, it's lightweight and the Fraylin pickups changed everything. Find Keith from Five Watt World demoing his 3 and you'll be amazed. Keep it man.

Back