To sell, or not to sell, that is the question

I have been going around in circles with selling off parts of the collection for a while now. I even have a potential outlet for doing it. I had a conversation with my local mom and pop shop over a year ago about this and still haven't brought myself to doing it. I have two guitars in their cases in the corner of this room that I prepped for sale months ago. I just can't bring myself to load them up and take them to the shop.

I have been going around in circles with selling off parts of the collection for a while now. I even have a potential outlet for doing it. I had a conversation with my local mom and pop shop over a year ago about this and still haven't brought myself to doing it. I have two guitars in their cases in the corner of this room that I prepped for sale months ago. I just can't bring myself to load them up and take them to the shop.
Then why sell them? If you don't need the money, just keep them and forget the stress it's causing you.

dayum, man! i still have mine. wonderful machine.

i hear what you are saying about keeping tools that are not used. sigh

Mira with 57/08s that is a sweet combo , now if it has the Standard /Pattern Reg neck that would be a great guitar to own.

It has a regular neck profile. With that said, I have decided to sell my scarlet CE-24 and keep the Mira. The CE-24 is kind of generic sounding. The Mira has its own mojo. I had John Ingram (a.k.a. "Orkie") install a MannMade 2040 trem a couple of years ago. John is without a doubt the best PRS setup man I have ever used. He should be because he was Paul's first apprentice and dates back with Paul to the garret days. I also purchased a multi-fit case for the guitar, so those two were an additional $400 not counting the cost of an Orkie setup. I am going to sell my Eastman T486 as well. That guitar is exceptionally nice, but I cannot bound with a 335-type guitar. I had my R7 up on Reverb, but those are a hard sell lately. I sold three guitars over the summer.

On a serious note, I just sold a great hardware synthesizer over the weekend. I might regret it, might not. It has a gorgeous sound, but lately it was mostly sitting around.

I have no plan as yet. I just wanted to make a move to do something different.

Then why sell them? If you don't need the money, just keep them and forget the stress it's causing you.
I am out of places to store them. I have guitars and amps stacked up around here and would like to clean things up a bit. One problem is that I am not sure what someone is willing to give me for them in this market is enough for me to let go of them. Every time I pull one of them out and check it over thinking of selling it I remember why I kept it and it goes back in the case and stays here.

I Don't Mean To Sound Disrespectful In Any Way Here But Why All This Doom And Gloom Talk...I Don't Get It. Throw Your Purchase Receipt With Each Product You Own And Or Write The Price On The Box/Case/Whatever And Be Done With It And Get On To Playing What You Have And Enjoying Life While You Are Alive. None Of Us Know How Much Time We Have Aside From The Fact That Every Day Is A Day Closer. Why Focus On Death In The Midst Of Life? I Get It...Being As Prepared As We Can Be...That Is What The Receipts And Tags/Box Markings/Whatever That I Mentioned Above Are For! :)

All Said In Love Of Course! :)

I Don't Mean To Sound Disrespectful In Any Way Here But Why All This Doom And Gloom Talk...I Don't Get It. Throw Your Purchase Receipt With Each Product You Own And Or Write The Price On The Box/Case/Whatever And Be Done With It And Get On To Playing What You Have And Enjoying Life While You Are Alive. None Of Us Know How Much Time We Have Aside From The Fact That Every Day Is A Day Closer. Why Focus On Death In The Midst Of Life? I Get It...Being As Prepared As We Can Be...That Is What The Receipts And Tags/Box Markings/Whatever That I Mentioned Above Are For! :)

All Said In Love Of Course! :)
I’ve documented serial numbers, purchase price, ballpark worth with photos of all the guitars. I’ll keep what I enjoy most, and almost certainly more than I need.
Simplifying my life foot print is the right thing for me to do. It isn’t driven by doom and gloom and it isn’t distracting from the time I spend doing what I enjoy.

But I agree, we shouldn’t obsess about how things end. We should suck everything we can out of the journey.

I am out of places to store them. I have guitars and amps stacked up around here and would like to clean things up a bit. One problem is that I am not sure what someone is willing to give me for them in this market is enough for me to let go of them. Every time I pull one of them out and check it over thinking of selling it I remember why I kept it and it goes back in the case and stays here.
As it should happen.

The guitars I've bought were at a price that will likely never or rarely reduce in value as long as I keep them in good shape.
If I sell some (when I sell some?) I will likely see either a profit, or equal to the purchase price.
At worst I will have played numerous gorgeous guitars for zero dollars over many years.
When I snuff it, my son will know what to do.

After downsizing from 15 guitars to 3, I highly recommend it.

Unpopular opinion alert: Our families are unlikely to hold the guitars in the same regard we do. The value they put on them is most likely sentimental if they associate us with them and you can only have so many which would carry that sentiment for them. Many are going to ebay or reverb once the dust and emotions settle after we are gone. Leaving family with a pile of guitars and misc junk is not doing them any favors. If we are using debt to fund that pile (if you have debt anywhere in your life, you're basically borrowing to buy), all the more important to get it out of your life. If you can afford it and are otherwise financially sound, more power to you.

Since I'm not a working musician, just a recreational basement blues dad, having more than a few guitars really wasn't adding joy to my life.

With that said, I'm in the market for a Hollowbody II as I decided I prefer that over acoustic, so the upgrade and trying new things itch hasn't gone away entirely, I just try to keep the total number down and I'm much happier with that decision than I thought I'd be.

Last edited:
Back