To sell, or not to sell, that is the question

Em7

deus ex machina
I am thinking about thinning the heard to the guitars I actually play. One of the guitars on the chopping block is my 2009 Mira Korina. It is a limited production PRS guitar. I believe that there are at most 200 examples of this guitar. That is the reason why I have held on to it even though I really do not get along with humbucking guitars these days. The only problem is that it is no longer stock. I swapped the black pickguard and truss rod cover out for the white pearl versions that shipped on the white with gold hardware regular Mira and used the PTC coupon I received when I purchased the guitar to have a pair of 57/08s installed by the PTC. For those who are new to PRS guitars, this guitar is from the days when the Mira was a core model with the neck cut from a single piece of 12/4 lumber with ears glued on like the other core models, which is different from the S2 and SE builds. Unlike the S2 and SE versions of the Mira, it also has real pickup rings. I have thought about selling it several times, but could not bring myself to do it. This time is different. I am getting older and do not want to leave my non-guitar playing children with a collection of guitars to sell. Has anyone else had a PRS guitar they knew they needed to sell, but struggled to do so?

I stopped struggling .. I've left instructions to pass all mine on to future generations
I have been given marching orders by one my of children. Another problem is that I moved into a much smaller house without a basement, so there is very little in the way of extra conditioned space in which to store a gear collection.

What is crazy is that I had at most two electric guitars and one acoustic guitar when I was a gigging musician. As I got older, playing was replaced with collecting gear.

I have been playing Strats and Fat Strats for the last forty years. Several PRS guitars have come and gone during that period because a neck humbucker is next to worthless to me, even split (it does not feel like a single coil with magnets as pole pieces). A Strat is more of a finest instrument. The crazy thing is that I could not stand a Strat when I was in high school and my early twenties. I played a 70s Les Paul for the first 6 to 7 years, but I grew out of it in the eighties and now find humbucking pickups to be limiting, especially neck humbuckers. It weird how our tastes change as we age.

Last edited:
I have been given marching orders by one my of children. Another problem is that I moved into a much smaller house without a basement, so there is very little in the way of extra conditioned space in which to store a gear collection.

What is crazy is that I had at most two electric guitars and one acoustic guitar when I was a gigging musician. As I got older, playing was replaced with collecting gear.

I have been playing Strats and Fat Strats for the last forty years. Several PRS guitars have come and gone during that period because a neck humbucker is next to worthless to me, even split (it does not feel like a single coil with magnets as pole pieces). A Strat is more of a finest instrument. The crazy thing is that I could not stand a Strat when I was in high school and my early twenties. I played a 70s Les Paul for the first 6 to 7 years, but I grew out of it in the eighties and now find humbucking pickups to be limiting, especially neck humbuckers. It weird how our tastes change as we age.
Absolute fact. I find myself living on my neck pickups more now than I ever have. My tastes have changed for sure and it's almost a curse. The desire for better tone is driving me absolutely crazy as of late.

Sinsir and I have been talking about this tonight and how I think I was happier in high school just having a loud a$$ amp with metal pedal dimed.

Ignorance was bliss i guess.

Last edited:
Mark, your gut will tell you if you ever really need to sell. I’m not able to sell what I have now. I’m lucky. My younger son is a musician. He’ll know what to do. He’s forbidden from selling my avatar a guitar. He Knows I’ll come back from the dead if he does.

I’ve been on that roller coaster for years. I think the thing for me is that I’m still actively gigging, so I’m still seeing all the new gear and am very much still in the circle of people excited by all kinds of gear. At my age, I guess I expected to be more in the “I used to do that, but just play at home now” mode, but it hasn’t happened. “When I’m 64” used to be a funny Beatles tune, and now it’s next month!

I think I’m coming more to the idea that leaving items of value behind isn’t such a bad thing, after all. It’s a first-world problem to be weighted down with the horrible task of selling tens of thousands of dollars in property when you get to keep the proceeds! I’d take an offer like “you take all my gear for free, and you can keep whatever you sell it for” from anyone here!

My wife and kids know I don’t want them to keep anything they can’t use, so they’d sell without guilt. It’s a little work, yes, but if you take the sentimentality out of it while you’re alive, it’s just future industry! So, yeah, maybe I’m just coming to grips with my musicianess and making it work, but I’ve decided to buy and sell however I want (within prudent financial bounds, of course) to enjoy the years I have, and not feel guilty at all about leaving valuable property to those who outlive me.

(PS: Leaving your loved ones with debt, especially debt for the gear you've bought, is not what I’m talking about here. Get that taken care of now, and sell whatever you have to in order to do it. Debt sucks the life out of you, and you don’t have enough of that to begin with!)

Last edited:
If it would be burden, or hard emotionally, for the family to have to sell them, then absolutely, sell them as the time grows shorter. If they see it as a labor of love, instruct them on the true values, and let them do it.

This is an interesting discussion! I have 14 guitars, some "cheapies", some not (USA PRS', Gibsons, Fenders, Jacksons). My wife recently asked me if I were to unexpectedly pass, what should she do with all my guitars, speakers, amps and all those black things with all the buttons and knobs (rack gear). My initial response was "Well, just sell it!", to which she replied "To whom and for how much?". So, that got me thinking. And FWIW, no one in my family (immediate or otherwise) plays guitar.

First option. Inventory everything and price everything for a quick but reasonable sale after my passing. But then who does she sell to? Does she ask someone from Guitar Center or Music Go Round to swing by the house and look at everything and cut 1 check for it all? Call one of the Estate Auction places?

Second option. Start selling stuff now while I'm still around. This is PAINFUL to think about. BUT - I no longer gig and those days are long over - I'm just a basement wanker. Most of the guitars I haven't touched in 1+ year, even the expensive stuff. I could get along with just 2 guitars (my Core Custom 24/08 and my Fender USA Strat). Also just 1 amp/speaker cab/FX unit. But as playing is still my one and only hobby, the thought of getting rid of things I love that are my hobby pretty much sucks.

Third option. I have good friend who is a player and who I trust. I thought about approaching him to ask him about selling the gear for my wife after my passing. I think he would do it for me.

Whole point here is that I believe folks like us need to have a plan. If I do nothing and then die, I wouldn't put it past my wife to let the gear sit in the basement for a year+ while she gets over the loss, and then call Guitar Center to have them cover over and just "take everything, I don't care about the money." If possible, I would be (rock-n-)rolling in my grave :)

Thoughts?

I’m doing the same thing, for the same reason. I don’t want my daughters to have to deal with a bigger problem than necessary.
I’ll get rid of 1-3 a year until I get to the point where I really don’t want to get rid of anything else.
I would sell the Mira, do an honesty check on how I felt after the fact, then think about what goes next.

I am thinking about thinning the heard to the guitars I actually play. One of the guitars on the chopping block is my 2009 Mira Korina. It is a limited production PRS guitar. I believe that there are at most 200 examples of this guitar. That is the reason why I have held on to it even though I really do not get along with humbucking guitars these days. The only problem is that it is no longer stock. I swapped the black pickguard and truss rod cover out for the white pearl versions that shipped on the white with gold hardware regular Mira and used the PTC coupon I received when I purchased the guitar to have a pair of 57/08s installed by the PTC. For those who are new to PRS guitars, this guitar is from the days when the Mira was a core model with the neck cut from a single piece of 12/4 lumber with ears glued on like the other core models, which is different from the S2 and SE builds. Unlike the S2 and SE versions of the Mira, it also has real pickup rings. I have thought about selling it several times, but could not bring myself to do it. This time is different. I am getting older and do not want to leave my non-guitar playing children with a collection of guitars to sell. Has anyone else had a PRS guitar they knew they needed to sell, but struggled to do so?
If you still have the original parts, you might want to swap them back. We never seem to get the value out of modding when reselling, and those parts can be reused in another guitar, sold, or used as part of a trade.

Life is too short to worry about what happens to my stuff after I'm dead. I won't be able to use any of it.

"You say that now, but you printed out an inventory of your NOS tubes just the other day. Who was that for?"

"I did that for myself. If I get dementia before I'm torrified and canned in an urn, I'll know what I've got."

"Fine, but how will you know what to do with the tubes after you figure out what you've got?"

"What's that?"

"I asked you a question."

"No you didn't."

"I did. I had the question printed out as well, so you could remember what it was. Here ya go."

"I think you had it printed so YOU could remember what it was."

"What what was?" :eek:

Last edited:
My first electric is the one in my avatar (Christmas 2023). I am an older beginner. I love the guitar. I find myself eyeing more even though I cannot do a single solo. I do find them works of art. Having said that, if you want it to go to a good home at below market value price I promise to hold on to it. You can call me in 10 years and I'll show you a picture, LOL.

Back