Best Place To Sell A Private Stock

One issue with selling a private stock is that it was built to someone's liking. You have to find another person that also likes those options that has the money that is interested in buying it. I saw your ad for it. There are a few things about it that would keep me from buying it and they are options that were chosen for the build.
This exactly. I'm fortunate to Iive near CME and been able to play a lot of PS guitars. There's been very few, if any, that I wanted to buy. They were great guitars but not my taste or specs I would have gone with. And believe me I tried to convince myself into a couple.

Now there is this guitar of the month I regret passing on..

It kinda just looks like a plain Paul's guitar. Is there something special about it (other than the eagle on the headstock) that makes it worth more? Someone is going to look at that, and then at every other Paul's guitar that's new, and wonder why they should spend 2K more on it to not get the original owner lifetime warranty. I think that's going to be a hard sell, or you are going to have to wait for the exact person who wants that exact guitar to come by.

Posting pictures of pictures in your listing isn't helping your cause. As others have said, you should write it up better in the description, maybe take a good photo of the certificate.

Take a look at how other private stock guitars are being sold, emulate that.

I think it will sell.

That’s right in the ballpark of brand new Santana territory for us in the UK.

A brand new core instrument is priced in the £5k mark as well.
Unfortunately you can't compare retail prices in the UK to secondary prices in the US. There's the 20% off-the-top to start, as well as the import fees and currency conversions that make things often come in at a significant premium in the UK.

Unfortunately you can't compare retail prices in the UK to secondary prices in the US. There's the 20% off-the-top to start, as well as the import fees and currency conversions that make things often come in at a significant premium in the UK.

Absolutely understand.

A brand new off the shelf PS is around £10k here, so the asking price for a used PS would be in the region of say half.

I get that I’m not up to speed with the guitar market in the US and pricing.

Hope the OP is successful with his sale.

Absolutely understand.

A brand new off the shelf PS is around £10k here, so the asking price for a used PS would be in the region of say half.

I get that I’m not up to speed with the guitar market in the US and pricing.

Hope the OP is successful with his sale.
The OP's retail price for this guitar was 9k, but he's asking well above half of that for it in a private sale. They didn't buy it new, so it's at best second-hand now. Third hand to anyone who buys it from them.

Your run-of-the-mill private stock is certainly a magical guitar, but really just for the person to specced it out, or the rare other person who might want that exact thing. The reality is that selling such a thing is either going to be a very long process, or you are going to take a serious haircut on it. Just ask @Utkarsh who lost 10k on a PS. 😮

This exactly. I'm fortunate to Iive near CME and been able to play a lot of PS guitars. There's been very few, if any, that I wanted to buy. They were great guitars but not my taste or specs I would have gone with. And believe me I tried to convince myself into a couple.

Now there is this guitar of the month I regret passing on..
There is a guitar of the month that I am regretting not buying too.

Be Patient, The Right Buyer Is Out There.

Edit: Another Possibility You May Think Of Considering Is Trading It For Some Other Gear Of Some Sort...Maybe A Gear Plus Cash Deal Or Something Like That. Just A Thought...Good Luck!

Last edited:
I got this guitar in a trade where I got the good end—I thought. Traded a $3k Custom Shop Strat for this guitar if I can’t sell it and buy another Strat
Forget what your buddy paid for it new - you traded a $3k guitar for it. And now you're upset that you can't make a huge profit by selling it for $6,700? You could cut that asking price in half, go buy yourself another $3k Custom Shop Strat and still come out ahead

Something is only worth what someone will pay for it.
^^this^^

Having spent nearly 5 decades in the sales world (although not guitars/instruments), I have to concur with a lot of the replies on the specs uniqueness of any PS guitar. Anything that is personalized to any degree automatically narrows the prospects window almost down to a mere pinpoint. I have seen that time and time again with dolled up motorcycles (some of them my own), tricked out off road machines, boats, automobiles, you name it in the motorized world. Guys would bring me stuff that were very low use/mileage but with over double the initial cost in modifications and aftermarket "goodies" that actually detract from the selling point and wonder why my offer on trade-ins was so drastically (in their mind) low with what they had into it. Bone stock or base models are often worth way more on the open market given the much wider sales potential. "Why is it that it seems you don't actually want my ********?"..."Probably for much the same reasons that you don't.";)
I'm sure it will sell eventually. But that wait time is going to be likely long and painfully so. Unless you are willing to take the proverbial bath on it; which most people are loathe to do. And I get that.

Compared to the other PS guitars listed, this one looks far too plain. I don't really see anything from the photos he has listed indicating a PS other than headstock inlay and back notation. Everything else looks pretty stock from neck wood, fretboard, body wood and color/figuring. There are some amazing looking in the $10K range, this one looks more like a standard core when they are side by side. The PS document would at least let people see the details that can't be determined from photos.

I actually think it's a very sweet looking guitar, and that the lack of 'custom' phoofery makes it more desirable, not less so. If I had the extra coin I'd buy it, but the recent WL DGT buy makes that impossible, and my current lineup of PS are keepers, so I can't even offer a trade.

I like the subtle finish and wood grain. The guitar doesn't shout "Look at me, ain't I purty?" It looks like a guitar, not a wall hanger. It's awesome.

It'd be interesting to know what kind of fretboard wood it has, etc.

I have one of the limited run PS guitars with the Paul's pickups. It feels and sounds the business. There's nothing particularly custom on it, but I love the darn thing. PS guitars may be all about the decor for most people, but for me, it's the exquisite playability and tone that PS offers the player.

Back