Private Stock questions.

El Rey

Hoping not to annoy with this. I realize how subjective these things are. I'm not asking for the best/worst/et al. Just others opinions on this. I figured since PRS, this is the best place to ask?

I've always liked the PRS guitars I've had through the years. Just haven't had a lot of them, nor I do I know much about PRS in general.

After a lot of years though I got my hands on a new Pauls Guitar (mfr'd 2022). I love, love the guitar.

I'm considering a second PRS from the same dealer. It'll either be a Private Stock version of the same guitar, or a new DGT.

Obviously, I need to make a trip back down to my favorite dealer and just play them both. I will do that within the next week or so.

In the mean time hopefully some of you won't mind sharing you view on Private Stock compared to production. Am I wrong to think of PRS Private Stock a similar thing to other mfr's "custom shop"?

I never want to come across as some sort of snob, but I've always preferred Fender/Gibson Custom Shop offerings (have some) and Tyler, Suhr, Anderson offerings (have some of those too).

I really don't mind the Private Stock prices as long as I truly love what I'm playing. Soon will find out myself what that Private Stock Paul's Guitar really is in my hands. If I like it I will buy, or the DGT. We'll see...soon.

Thank you all for anything you're willing to share ;).

I have cores and 2 private stocks. As mentioned above, the private stocks just have this little extra "sizzle" to them that send them over the top. I love my cores though too, so I play those equally as much as my private stocks. If you have the ability, I would recommend ordering your own private stock so you can choose all of your own specs and woods....even have "Custom Built for El Rey" written on the back of the headstock....that's what I did with mine.

Yes, Private Stock is similar to what other places call custom shop.

Private Stocks really do stand out from the crowd. For me, it is worth it. I have no complaints with core, but Private Stock really does inspire my playing.

And as far as being a snob, most people won’t know what it cost, or how special it is. They’ll just think it’s pretty. The people who do recognize that it is Private Stock will appreciate it and be happy for you.

Just recently acquired core models of Paul's Guitar and DGT. Gotta say I'm still marvelling over how much better these are in every way (IMHO) than my old 2007 EXP CU24. That might sound like a bunch of dubious BS to somebody. I get it. I'd probably feel the same after reading so much hyperbole in either direction.

I'm sure some of this is effects of my own cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias, but not all of it. Seems plausible after constantly reading, hearing about, reading about Paul contantly obsessing over minutia, pushing and pushing for improvements. I really dig my PG, but I've barely been able to put my DGT down since getting it yesterday. That's no hyperbole. These 2 guitars feel literally alive to me. I really don't get it, but I'm not complaining, just scratching my head.

The local dealer is helping me work up a Private Stock order for a Brent Mason Signature. I didn't think they would do a Private Stock of this but the dealer says they do.

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot all about this thread.

Just recently acquired core models of Paul's Guitar and DGT. Gotta say I'm still marvelling over how much better these are in every way (IMHO) than my old 2007 EXP CU24. That might sound like a bunch of dubious BS to somebody. I get it. I'd probably feel the same after reading so much hyperbole in either direction.

I'm sure some of this is effects of my own cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias, but not all of it. Seems plausible after constantly reading, hearing about, reading about Paul contantly obsessing over minutia, pushing and pushing for improvements. I really dig my PG, but I've barely been able to put my DGT down since getting it yesterday. That's no hyperbole. These 2 guitars feel literally alive to me. I really don't get it, but I'm not complaining, just scratching my head.

The local dealer is helping me work up a Private Stock order for a Brent Mason Signature. I didn't think they would do a Private Stock of this but the dealer says they do.

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot all about this thread.
Sounds like a great plan! If you have not already, you should try and confirm your feelings by playing a PS guitar, preferably of the same model that you have Core's of. Then you will be able to feel the difference!! I have a core, a WL and a PS. Although I love my PS, it is a CU24 and I currently prefer my WL McCarty HBII due to it's lightness and tones just match my current setlists, but the PS does have an extra level of quality that I can not put into words. Hope you get exactly what you are looking for!!!

Yes, and I tend to correct @veinbuster a little bit.
As far as I remember, but in the book of the books was stated, that already the (US) production line (which later was named Core), was either by the craftmanship and the quality of material at and beyond the level, which other brands call custom shop.

Last edited:
I own custom shop models from Gibson and Fender. To me Fender and Gibson CS are on par with PRS Core. I may be biased but I feel the PRS core is even better. The private stocks I own are just another level. They sound a whole lot better and play themselves almost. I know when I do studio work, if i'm having trouble nailing something on another guitar if I grab the PS guitar I'm knocking it out in one to two takes. It's happened to me so many times I just stopped using my other guitars in the studio. Using the PS live on gigs...I can improv things i wouldn't dare trying on other guitars...the private stocks just bring that extra out of me as a player. All that is before you hear the difference it makes in your amp...they make all my amps sound so freakin' good. Like a bucket of KFC steaming on the the table and you haven't eaten the whole day.

Edit: I own 3 custom 24s that I love so my next move is finding a PS custom 24. I feel like if you have a PRS model that's "YOUR" model. Its definitely worth it to pursue a private stock version of it, if you feel you want it. Don't be afraid, if you are really wanting it I really think you be really glad you did once it's in your hands.

Last edited:
Having the luxury of being able to compare SE to Core, yes I have both, there is something intrinsically subtle about the Core guitar, however the SE definitely holds its own.

The mods I’ve done to the SE have taken it from a good instrument to a true joy to play, sonically.

I have a wood library tremonti….. compared to the cores I’ve played, there’s a clarity to it (WL) that you just can’t get… anyways- works of art aside, you won’t be disappointed!!!

Back