The Chase For 'The Best'

One of the beauties of life is that the question, 'What's the best?' can be answered in so many ways. It's all about the person making the choice.

Nonetheless, it's been interesting to read the myriad of responses in the thread so far. Great food for thought!

I can totally relate.

I was switched to a different med the day before yesterday because of side effects. Some improved, some haven't yet. I feel like a walking science experiment!
I am starting to feel that way too and I never wanted to be that way. I watched my father-in-law take hands full of pills 3 times a day. I told my wife I don't ever want to be like that. I feel like I am on that road again and need to find a way off of it. I worked my way off of some of these meds before so it is time to do some more research to find out what I need to change to get rid of more of these. Hopefully it will be something I can change.

I am starting to feel that way too and I never wanted to be that way. I watched my father-in-law take hands full of pills 3 times a day. I told my wife I don't ever want to be like that. I feel like I am on that road again and need to find a way off of it. I worked my way off of some of these meds before so it is time to do some more research to find out what I need to change to get rid of more of these. Hopefully it will be something I can change.
Do not feel badly. I take 9 pills and two injectables a day and a third injectable per week.

On the other hand, I'm still walking around on the planet annoying everyone. I figure I'm ahead of the game! :)

I don’t really know if it is the best, but an old workmate sold his dad’s 56 gold top Les Paul that I was the first one to play after it had spent 30 years in a closet, about 25 years ago. His dad was the original owner.

I’m a bit bummed I didn’t know it was being sold until after it was gone, but honestly can’t imagine having been willing to pay half of what it was worth.

I don’t really know if it is the best, but an old workmate sold his dad’s 56 gold top Les Paul that I was the first one to play after it had spent 30 years in a closet, about 25 years ago. His dad was the original owner.

I’m a bit bummed I didn’t know it was being sold until after it was gone, but honestly can’t imagine having been willing to pay half of what it was worth.
Don't remind me that in the early '90s I passed on a 1952 Goldtop at my dealer's, with Trapeze tailpiece and P-90s.

For $3500.

:oops:

Don't remind me that in the early '90s I passed on a 1952 Goldtop at my dealer's, with Trapeze tailpiece and P-90s.

For $3500.

:oops:
At that time, I would have passed too. I looked periodically out of curiosity, but my priority was paying off my mortgage. When that was clearly under control I bought a PRS instead. And still enjoy it.

I love guitar maintenance. Why, I've changed the strings on my 2014 McCarty Singlecut twice since I bought it new!

I know - I overdo it with the string changes! :eek:

Seriously, I can't seem to make a set of the Sono-Tone pure nickel wrap strings I use go bad. I only change them (whether they need it or not) because I start to feel like I'll go to Guitar Jail if I don't.

My hands are so dry strings last a crazy length of time.

Down south with all the humidity and heat I mostly use Elixir's , overall not the best string I've heard but they last a long time and play well .
I've tried DR coated and wasn't as fond. Optima's 24k gold strings are fave's but they are pricey , I have a set on my Koa bass and have used them on an electric

I’ve been doing an unscientific study of the best tequila. A Mexican place in Calgary has 1/2 price shots for happy hour, so I thought I would check how many times I could double the cost of the shot and still feel it was worth it. To ensure I can still taste properly, I only try one interval per visit. Last week was the 4th doubling and it is hard to imagine a better tequila than Asombroso 11 yr.
There are more expensive ones out there though.

I’ve been doing an unscientific study of the best tequila. A Mexican place in Calgary has 1/2 price shots for happy hour, so I thought I would check how many times I could double the cost of the shot and still feel it was worth it. To ensure I can still taste properly, I only try one interval per visit. Last week was the 4th doubling and it is hard to imagine a better tequila than Asombroso 11 yr.
There are more expensive ones out there though.
If you ever get to San Francisco, be sure to go to "Tommy's Mexican Restaurant" on 23rd and Geary (NOT Tommy's Joint on Geary and Van Ness). They have the largest selection of 100% Agave tequila (if it does not say 100% agave on the bottle, dump it, that includes Cuervo Gold, the source of many peoples hatred for tequila) in the United States and are the exclusive importer of many of the brands they carry. The proprietor is the tequila consultant for the Belagio hotel and many other high end hotels and restaurants. You can even get a degree in tequila (and it is much more than drink a bunch, there are written tests involved) at Tommy's (I have a Tequila Master degree and was very close to my Ninja degree but failed the written test - I hope to get that degree some day as well as get the degree of Tequila Demi-God)! I have tried over 100 tequilas and my favorite brand overall is El Tesoro, but my favorite sipping tequila I have ever had (I don't "shoot" shots of tequila, nor do I use salt and if I use lime, it is a touch on the rim of the snifter and a floating lime without squeezing it) is "Adictivo"! Appropriately named and the only time I ever was able to try it and buy it was when I was in Cabo San Lucas a few years ago. Brought a bottle home and it lasted I think 2 weeks at best, and that was with a LOT of restraint! For margaritas, my fav is "Centinella Blanco" (always use a blanco aka silver tequila for your margaritas) but it is not available on a retail level in the US (but you can try it at Tommy's as they are the exclusive importer of it in the US). A couple of other really good ones for margaritas are Peligroso, Milagro and Herradura. I have never tried Asomboroso 11yr that I recall (recall can be influenced by a number of issues including age as well as tequila itself) but I will definitely give it a sip if I see it, thanks for the recommendation!

Back