How to order a PRS Private Stock guitar…

Psydoc

I am a 63 year old physician who is merely an “early intermediate“ player and hobbyist, one with more money than common sense.. I own a red, core 305 and a black cherry, core Custom 22 ten-top, both bought new through Sam Ash Music in Columbus, OH. At any rate, last summer, I began thinking about ordering a private stock guitar, and finally in January the order sheet was finalized and I paid the dealer a 50% deposit. The guitar will be here in about 12 months or so do to a huge backlog of orders at PRS.

As you can well imagine, the entire process was quite a learning experience, so I thought I might recount some points that are good to keep in mind if you ever decide to build a private stock guitar…

1) As an individual, unless you are someone like Robben Ford, PRS only sells its guitars through its network of dealers, and that includes ordering a private stock instrument. It must go through a dealership, and I have nothing but good things to say about Sam Ash Music and general manager Jacob Young, who worked with me tirelessly throughout the process. Our PRS Private Stock advisor who oversaw everything and solved multiple problems was a gentleman named Michael Robb. Dozens of emails went back-and-forth and there were numerous phone conversations as well over the course of things. Lots of photos of guitar colors went back-and-forth.

2) How much is this going to cost? I asked, and for quite a while there, things were rather murky. I ordered a Custom 22 in Natural mahogany body; curly maple top; all maple neck, fingerboard, headstock; tremolo; onyx bird inlays; nickel hardware; I forget the pick ups! Santana Yellow (no burst!). This is a very low-key private stock guitar we’re talking about. For what it cost, you could buy three or four new core guitars. In any event, when your order sheet is finalized, you pay a 50% deposit.
And then you wait…

3) Contrary to what the above video may lead you to believe, PRS does not want you coming for a visit to go shopping in the wood library. I was told by Mr. Robb that I would only be allowed to visit Private Stock if a dealer representative accompanied me. That was the end of that.

4) Once the order sheet is finalized, signed, and 50% deposit paid, PRS charges $350 per change if you wish to do so after the order sheet is finalized. I learned this the hard way. Frankly, I think that this is highway robbery on the part of PRS, since obviously, the order sheet is going to collect dust for most of the next 12 months, plus the guitar already cost a bloody fortune. And this brings up a very important point: The more you order way over the top sh!t like fancy inlays, rare woods, blah blah blah…the more it is going to cost as much as a new car. In fact, if I could order a core custom 22, with an all maple neck and head stock, that’s what I would’ve done instead.

5) I have told the dealer that when this guitar eventually arrives at their store, under no circumstances are they to open the box, unless I’m dead!

Sounds like a good guitar.

Historically, PRS has welcomed visits to the vault with a dealer. It’s never been an open house invitation. Selecting your own wood in the vault is a great experience, but even dealers did it remotely during the pandemic.

Not all dealers have the same deposit policy. That is the dealer’s choice. I never paid a deposit.

The price for changes is reasonable in my opinion. Orders have not always waited for extended periods and sometimes started soon after they were placed. Making changes does consume PRS resources even if the build hasn’t started. There is always a cost to indecisiveness and I think it is fair for the consumer to bear that burden.

We all have our own preferences. I was happy to let the dealer check my guitar - better they deal with an issue before I get depressed by it.

The single most time-consuming part of my business is dealing with customers that change their minds about relatively insignificant details far too frequently. I can completely understand why PRS uses a change-fee that’s priced the way it is. It’s priced to make a person slow down a bit.

Firstly, double congratulations.

Well done for putting in your PS order and for being a real life physician and PRS owner, keeping the myth going that we’re all blues lawyer/dentists.

Hope everything goes smoothly and you get a personal instrument that you can treasure and enjoy.

2) How much is this going to cost? I asked, and for quite a while there, things were rather murky.

My favorite part of the process.

Last edited:
This is an experience I don’t expect to ever have, but it is fun to read about it. Obviously, it pays to settle every single detail before stamping the order complete, or at least it costs if you don’t! Personally, I’m not even sure where I’d start. So hats off to all you guys who’ve created your dream guitar, it’s a special thing.

I am a 63 year old physician who is merely an “early intermediate“ player and hobbyist, one with more money than common sense.. I own a red, core 305 and a black cherry, core Custom 22 ten-top, both bought new through Sam Ash Music in Columbus, OH. At any rate, last summer, I began thinking about ordering a private stock guitar, and finally in January the order sheet was finalized and I paid the dealer a 50% deposit. The guitar will be here in about 12 months or so do to a huge backlog of orders at PRS.

As you can well imagine, the entire process was quite a learning experience, so I thought I might recount some points that are good to keep in mind if you ever decide to build a private stock guitar…

1) As an individual, unless you are someone like Robben Ford, PRS only sells its guitars through its network of dealers, and that includes ordering a private stock instrument. It must go through a dealership, and I have nothing but good things to say about Sam Ash Music and general manager Jacob Young, who worked with me tirelessly throughout the process. Our PRS Private Stock advisor who oversaw everything and solved multiple problems was a gentleman named Michael Robb. Dozens of emails went back-and-forth and there were numerous phone conversations as well over the course of things. Lots of photos of guitar colors went back-and-forth.

2) How much is this going to cost? I asked, and for quite a while there, things were rather murky. I ordered a Custom 22 in Natural mahogany body; curly maple top; all maple neck, fingerboard, headstock; tremolo; onyx bird inlays; nickel hardware; I forget the pick ups! Santana Yellow (no burst!). This is a very low-key private stock guitar we’re talking about. For what it cost, you could buy three or four new core guitars. In any event, when your order sheet is finalized, you pay a 50% deposit.
And then you wait…

3) Contrary to what the above video may lead you to believe, PRS does not want you coming for a visit to go shopping in the wood library. I was told by Mr. Robb that I would only be allowed to visit Private Stock if a dealer representative accompanied me. That was the end of that.

4) Once the order sheet is finalized, signed, and 50% deposit paid, PRS charges $350 per change if you wish to do so after the order sheet is finalized. I learned this the hard way. Frankly, I think that this is highway robbery on the part of PRS, since obviously, the order sheet is going to collect dust for most of the next 12 months, plus the guitar already cost a bloody fortune. And this brings up a very important point: The more you order way over the top sh!t like fancy inlays, rare woods, blah blah blah…the more it is going to cost as much as a new car. In fact, if I could order a core custom 22, with an all maple neck and head stock, that’s what I would’ve done instead.

5) I have told the dealer that when this guitar eventually arrives at their store, under no circumstances are they to open the box, unless I’m dead!
Way to go, perpetuating the PRS owner stereotype! ;) Do we have a lawyer in the house!?

P.S. Hope you get the special guitar you want.

It is really cool to hear about. I appreciate the background on the process. While I "could" go this route, my wife has assured me I will not... ;) I would likely have analysis paralysis and end up with something very modest. I am very happy for you and look forward to seeing a new guitar day post (with photos!) in 2024.

I would likely have analysis paralysis and end up with something very modest.

That potential is very real (or at least it was before the current restrictions were in place).

When I did mine, Brian sent me the link to the site for the case options a day or two before I was due at the factory. I thought there were a handful of case choices. And I was wrong. I did a rough calculation and came up with well over 5,000 combinations of options. For the case. Talk about option overload.

So I just got a gig bag.

I didn't get a gig bag. I got a very nice case, but man, it was a hard decision, especially since there weren't samples to look at.

Between one of my PS orders and the arrival of the guitar, I had open heart surgery (unplanned). Then I needed an ulnar nerve transposition to regain control of my fingers.

The guitar arrived before the ulnar nerve surgery. I was bummed that I couldn't play it, but things worked out.

It'd be a good idea to not to die. That probably won't work out, unless you have guitar player kids.... ;)

Way to go, perpetuating the PRS owner stereotype! ;) Do we have a lawyer in the house!?
I have a handful of PS models. I was a lawyer before going into the music business. Maybe that counts?

One thing of note: You will probably notice that your PS guitar plays and sounds better than you imagined.

OP, thanks for writing this with an appropriate amount of tongue in cheek. Your sense of self-awareness serves you well.

That said: Congrats for actually doing this. Time only goes in one direction.

We'll look forward to your NGD post in early 2024.

=K

Back