The Chase For 'The Best'

If you ever get to San Francisco, be sure to go to "Tommy's Mexican Restaurant" on 23rd and Geary (NOT Tommy's Joint on Geary and Van Ness). They have the largest selection of 100% Agave tequila (if it does not say 100% agave on the bottle, dump it, that includes Cuervo Gold, the source of many peoples hatred for tequila) in the United States and are the exclusive importer of many of the brands they carry. The proprietor is the tequila consultant for the Belagio hotel and many other high end hotels and restaurants. You can even get a degree in tequila (and it is much more than drink a bunch, there are written tests involved) at Tommy's (I have a Tequila Master degree and was very close to my Ninja degree but failed the written test - I hope to get that degree some day as well as get the degree of Tequila Demi-God)! I have tried over 100 tequilas and my favorite brand overall is El Tesoro, but my favorite sipping tequila I have ever had (I don't "shoot" shots of tequila, nor do I use salt and if I use lime, it is a touch on the rim of the snifter and a floating lime without squeezing it) is "Adictivo"! Appropriately named and the only time I ever was able to try it and buy it was when I was in Cabo San Lucas a few years ago. Brought a bottle home and it lasted I think 2 weeks at best, and that was with a LOT of restraint! For margaritas, my fav is "Centinella Blanco" (always use a blanco aka silver tequila for your margaritas) but it is not available on a retail level in the US (but you can try it at Tommy's as they are the exclusive importer of it in the US). A couple of other really good ones for margaritas are Peligroso, Milagro and Herradura. I have never tried Asomboroso 11yr that I recall (recall can be influenced by a number of issues including age as well as tequila itself) but I will definitely give it a sip if I see it, thanks for the recommendation!
Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

I've successfully avoided responding to this thread for the last few weeks because I've been so damned busy. But since I'm at an impasse at work while waiting on other people to produce the things I need to do much of value, you'll have to suffer through my response.

The "Best", taken literally, implies perfection, unable to be topped. However, in addition to being entirely subjective, I would argue that perfection in and of itself is unattainable. Perfection is a concept, something to embark on a quest to find, assured that while you're never likely to round the corner and discover the end-all-be-all of whatever it may be, the knowledge gained and incremental steps up the slope make the journey worth the effort. Thus, The "Best" is never to be had, but...

...the "Best for Me" is CONSTANTLY attainable- and simultaneously just out of reach. For if we agree that perfection is unattainable (humor me please), "Best for Me" is a rewarding yet fleeting compromise. And it soothes the ego with the temporary rush of acquisition and satisfaction and subsequent realization that this, like all the rest, was just another rung on the ladder. That yes, there are higher heights and the quest can...nay, MUST go on.

So what then, really, is the chase for the "Best"? It's G.A.S. my friends. Accept and embrace that you have it, and that the almost unavoidable result is your own personal treasure trove of stuff that is really, really good. And that's not half bad.

;)

the alibi for the collector ... this is the best at X .. in Music there are SO many shades ... best flat picking, finger picking , X genre, etc .....

..a former flame told me I can't have more than one favorite , I explained the minutiae that allows for it ... alas small minds can't grasp such concepts

I’ve been doing an unscientific study of the best tequila. A Mexican place in Calgary has 1/2 price shots for happy hour, so I thought I would check how many times I could double the cost of the shot and still feel it was worth it. To ensure I can still taste properly, I only try one interval per visit. Last week was the 4th doubling and it is hard to imagine a better tequila than Asombroso 11 yr.
There are more expensive ones out there though.
Now on my shopping list!

A woman with discerning taste! So how did the rest of the evening go?
Well the gig went great! That said, I left the voluptuous lady (30 years my junior) to her boyfriend after the shared shots.
The look on his face as we were discussing the various positives and negatives of tequila in general was increasingly inquisitive. ;)
Of course neither of them had anything to be concerned about. I was just having fun with audience members.
Let's just say he's a lucky guy.:p

Well the gig went great! That said, I left the voluptuous lady (30 years my junior) to her boyfriend after the shared shots.
The look on his face as we were discussing the various positives and negatives of tequila in general was increasingly inquisitive. ;)
Of course neither of them had anything to be concerned about. I was just having fun with audience members.
Let's just say he's a lucky guy.:p
Seems that lately, everyone's 30 years my junior.

Back