PRS tone - I get it now :) and incoming first, a CE24!

ColnagoC60

Hey all, new to the forum, thanks for having me.

Been playing since 89 but never owned a PRS. Always didn’t know how to place its tone - it’s not sparkly like a strat, twangy like a tele or thick like a LP. Until now :)

Recently got into maple flame tops. Looked around and ended up looking at PRS. This time I spent some decent time in store trying a few:

S2 Cu24 10th
S2 Cu24
CE24 with maple wide thin
CE24 with glossy pattern thin
CE24 with maple pattern thin (x 2 different colours)

It was down to the S2 Cu24 10th and a CE24 in verde. Going with the CE24 verde :)

Now on tone - this is what I see as the PRS tone (but keen to hear what the rest say) - for me - creamy but articulate with sustain for days. Heaven.

Neck is awesome too. Like my Ultra but just a tad wider and not as wide as my LP.

So do I get it now (the tone and feel I mean lol). But yes I will get it (ie acquire) too.

I may be from a little different camp on the PRS tone debate. I don't feel like my PRS guitars have a tone to them, nothing I would call a signature tone. I see and hear them as much more versatile than that. With the pickups they have been making since 2008 I feel like I can get a huge variety of tones from all of my PRS guitars. I honestly feel that there isn't much I can't do with most of them. The only tones I can't really get from them is a true single coil sound because they don't make them with single coils. They play great and are a very high quality instrument.

Welcome! Glad you found the PRS love. As for tone, it is so subjective and we all have that sound in our head we are searching for. But there's a damn good chance that whatever that sound is, you can find it somewhere in the PRS lineup.

Enjoy your first...start saving for your second. And third. And... 🤪

Congrats on finding a PRS you like! Too many PRS models that all sound like the guitar they are for a PRS tone to me.

Even by your post there's two Fenders listed, strat and tele. I wouldn't say Fender tone.

I may be from a little different camp on the PRS tone debate. I don't feel like my PRS guitars have a tone to them, nothing I would call a signature tone. I see and hear them as much more versatile than that.
I choose to interpret this as "A PRS player isn't stuck with a one-trick pony."

I think they have a sound, it's just much wider in scope than most other guitars.

Very few of the guys here have only 1 PRS.
I plan to be down to one electric guitar soon.

"You've been saying that for YEARS and haven't done diddly about it."

"True enough. I was having a hard time deciding which one the One will be. Now I know."

"So when are your other guitars going on the block?"

"They aren't. I'm going to do something spectacularly crazy with them. For example, I might throw them off a cliff into the sea. Or I might make a bonfire. I'll videotape the whole thing. It'll be like watching a train wreck. Lots of people will more than happily watch a guy set fire to his Private Stock PRS guitars, or throw them off a cliff. It's a YouTube fortune waiting to happen. In fact, I'll do videos for each one to maximize my haul."

"I'm having you committed. Here's the court order."

+1

Very few of the guys here have only 1 PRS.

LOL! And I told myself this year I will go easy (easier) on GAS haha. This will be my PRS one-and-done (famous last words).

Related to this, so I was already set on getting the Eriza Verde Smokeburst and had it in my hands - but then they told me they also have a Faded Whale Blue Smokeburst and Faded Blue Smokeburst in the warehouse if I want to wait a few days. I love blue guitars - so might just check that out and see how it feels! Looked for some photos online but most seem to be digital renders. Anyone got real life photos of a FWBSB or FBSB?

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Back