Hollow Body Neck

drdbl

I have a CE24 with pattern thin neck. Would like to get a hollow body, but was informed that none are made with the thinner neck size. Any ideas as to why there aren't more neck size options?

The traditional way of thinking was that you needed more wood in the neck to have the best response. The modern way of thinking is that It’s more cost effective. I find the neck on my SE Hollowbody to be a little less wide and fat than my core guitars, and very well suited to my hands. The core Hollowbody I had felt the same.

The traditional way of thinking was that you needed more wood in the neck to have the best response. The modern way of thinking is that It’s more cost effective. I find the neck on my SE Hollowbody to be a little less wide and fat than my core guitars, and very well suited to my hands. The core Hollowbody I had felt the same.

Well, Dog, that's very interesting to hear. Just to be clear, did your core guitars have the "pattern thin" neck or something else? Thanks.

I have a couple of each. The wide fat core necks feel more substantial to my hands than the SE Hollowbody. My core SAS is the beefiest. I played mostly archtops for 25 years or so. The SE Hollowbody scratches the itch nicely although I have a 16” non cutaway copy of the original L5 in case I ever play big band again.

I'm not sure why they list these as wide/fat? I've been shopping for a HB and was expecting a neck similar or larger than my McCarty, but they feel closer to a pattern thin to me.

Here's the thing - When I contacted PRS I was told that only the Semi-HB's are available in a thinner neck, not the full HB's. When someone reports that a guitar neck feels a certain way, how would someone else know what that feels like to them? I love my PRS and play it everyday. However, I don't get PRS's nomenclature. It just reminds me of going into a Starbucks and reading their ridiculous sizing names.

My original question was looking for an answer as to why PRS doesn't offer a "Pattern Thin" in a full HB.

My seHb2 feels chunky. More so than the rest of my WF. I even double checked the specs on arrival to make sure I didn't mix them up and it had a pattern vintage. Still a great neck but nothing like my wide thin guitars.

My original question was looking for an answer as to why PRS doesn't offer a "Pattern Thin" in a full HB.

No one here will be able to give you a definitive answer to a question like that. The likely answer is that PRS believes they'll be able to sell more with a Wide Fat neck than a Wide Thin, and that having additional SKUs to manage by offering both isn't a desired thing from a business standpoint.

I have recently bought my first PRS guitar a SE Paul’s model with a wide fat neck.
Coming from the acoustic guitar world, I was looking for a wider fatter neck which I’ve found with the Paul’s SE model.
Now I’m looking to get an SE HollowBody. I was only able to try the SE Hollowbody 11 (Maple). And Unfortunately the neck feels much to thin for me. I’ve read on the net that the SE Hollowbody Standard was slightly bigger while PRS web site refer them to be the same. I live in Ontario Canada and there isn’t any standard version in any store near me at the moment. Would anyone know more about this Neck profil Issue ?
Thank you

Back