Who Else Chose a SE over a Core?

Broseph

PRS Fren
No seriously. I have a SE Zach myers that kills. Ok that’s a lie. I’ve been thru like 6 of them. But I’ve found the one. Recently I got it plek’d and the nut replaced. Heavily modded electronics, bridge, tuners annd installed some of my fav Seymour Duncan APH2 (slash set). It plays like a dream. Hell I will say this flat out: it plays better than my core 594. The balance is perfect. The action is lower with no buzz. It’s all satin. I’m tempted to sell the 594 now. Which is mind blowing to me but true. I don’t fancy myself as a collector and don’t see myself playing the core as much anymore. Why let it collect dust when I can put that toward trying other gear?

Anybody else intentionally chose a SE over a core? Money says I should stick to the one that was 5x more expensive and considered the standard of quality for PRS. But I’ll be damned. This pampered import guitar can hang with it. Yes I spent ridiculous amount into this SE guitar so I can’t compare the stock version to the core. But I’m loving what I’m hearing, feeling, and playing. That’s what it’s all about at the end of the day.

Let me see your SE that won you over. And let me know what core level it replaced

This is the blondie that I’ve fallen for

That ZM is sexy!

I have chosen a DGT SE (not in my possession yet) over the DGT Core, but mostly because that's what I can afford at the moment. I have a bunch of other gear that I want to aquire and I can get everything I want/need for less than what the DGT Core would go for. Would I like a DGT Core? You're damn right! But I'm willing to sacrifice a little quality for a huge savings. The SEs out of Cor-Tek guitars are coming out really nice and I feel that they're about 80% of the guitar for a 1/4 of the price

Funny part is the exact same model can vary from guitar to guitar. My last version from this same run was real bright. I always assumed it was due to the Ebony fretboard compared to the normal rosewood for the ZM. I ended up selling it cheap to a friend. A year later I saw a guy selling one local that was practically new. Grabbed it. Sounds so good. Nice bite to it. Not brittle at all. I’m so glad I gave it a chance.

The SE's I've had a while have all been upgraded with better pickups and are all professional level instruments.

My SE Soapbar Singlcut is an awesome guitar on every level, but again: I put in Bare Knuckle P90's.

I bought two SE Silver Skys instead of a Core Silver Sky and put great but slightly different pickups in both. I prefer the feel of the SE Silver Sky.

Haven't played my '95, '97 and '00 CE22's since getting my SE Bernie Marsden.

I think that one's going to become my favorite guitar once I get the pickups decided on.

I like the stock ones...but I think I can do better.

Not all SE pickups need to be upgraded.

The Bernie Marsden's 245 pickups sound good in the thick bodied Bernie Marsden guitar, but not as good in my thinner bodied SE Singlecut.

The SE Silver Sky pickups are fine too...I'm just picky.

I've owned too many great Strats not to know what I want to hear.

Last edited:
No seriously. I have a SE Zach myers that kills. Ok that’s a lie. I’ve been thru like 6 of them. But I’ve found the one. Recently I got it plek’d and the nut replaced. Heavily modded electronics, bridge, tuners annd installed some of my fav Seymour Duncan APH2 (slash set). It plays like a dream. Hell I will say this flat out: it plays better than my core 594. The balance is perfect. The action is lower with no buzz. It’s all satin. I’m tempted to sell the 594 now. Which is mind blowing to me but true. I don’t fancy myself as a collector and don’t see myself playing the core as much anymore. Why let it collect dust when I can put that toward trying other gear?

Anybody else intentionally chose a SE over a core? Money says I should stick to the one that was 5x more expensive and considered the standard of quality for PRS. But I’ll be damned. This pampered import guitar can hang with it. Yes I spent ridiculous amount into this SE guitar so I can’t compare the stock version to the core. But I’m loving what I’m hearing, feeling, and playing. That’s what it’s all about at the end of the day.

Let me see your SE that won you over. And let me know what core level it replaced

This is the blondie that I’ve fallen for
That is an absolutely killer looking guitar.

I'd keep both. I've sold too many things to get more gear and regretted it more often than not.

Funny part is the exact same model can vary from guitar to guitar. My last version from this same run was real bright. I always assumed it was due to the Ebony fretboard compared to the normal rosewood for the ZM. I ended up selling it cheap to a friend. A year later I saw a guy selling one local that was practically new. Grabbed it. Sounds so good. Nice bite to it. Not brittle at all. I’m so glad I gave it a chance.
The same pickups in different guitars of the same model can sound very different if one guitar is a lot heavier or lighter than the other...or even if they seem to weigh the same!

Comes down to the wood and how it rings and vibrates. All the wood: neck, fingerboard and body.

I have three Korean SE Singlecuts.

I have Seymour Duncan Antiquitys in two and even with identical pickups, the lighter guitar sounds the better to me. The tone is just fuller and more "acoustic".

Makes the Duncan Antiquitys in it sound fat whereas the Duncan Antiquitys in my other SE Singlecut, which is heavier, sounds brighter and has a slightly thinner tone with a little less bass.

Not a bad tone. Just different.

The wood selection seems to be the #1 priority with the Core models.

I think the PRS SE's give you more bang for your buck than any other import guitars I've owned.

Last edited:
I chose a used SE 594 double cut over a Core 594 simply because, I can’t justify the extra price associated with the Core model.

When I first read the title I thought How Unusual.

But then I realized I too fit this description.

I had a SS and sold it and now have a SE SS. I am not single coil guy though many of my Heros are. $2300 did not make sense for me but the SE SS is a perfect fit!

IMHO people get far too hung up in labels . Close your eyes when you play it ....If you find a guitar that plays well , stays in tune , has the tone you want and pleases your aesthetics, BUY IT ! There some pretty amazing instruments out in the universe that don't have big price tags or fancy labels.

While some find it pleasing to have fancy instruments ( guilty) first and foremost they have to earn a place in your heart and hands. The rest is just ego

Last edited:
There some pretty amazing instruments out in the universe that don't have big price tags or fance labels.

I've had plenty of low cost guitars that could hang next to my Core guitars and bring me as much playing/tonal pleasure.

Among these, an all time killer guitar was the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Duo Sonic. I LOVE that guitar and am currently hunting for one.

I've had plenty of low cost guitars that could hang next to my Core guitars and bring me as much playing/tonal pleasure.

Among these, an all time killer guitar was the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Duo Sonic. I LOVE that guitar and am currently hunting for one.
The Squier classic vibes are killer guitars. I hung onto mine for years even though I have plenty of other strats. Only reason I let it go is my brother in law wanted to learn guitar during covid. And I still miss it.

I’ve had 5 PRS SE’s over years, but I sold them all.

To be fair, they were all older models and not any recent offerings.

I bought all of them used for very cheap prices, and I just couldn’t see spending more on quality upgrades that were more than I paid for the guitars.

All my Core PRS guitars were bought used for amazingly low prices, and I’m very happy with them in stock form.

I’m not a snob , but after selling off 25+ medium quality good used MIK,MIM, MII guitars, I’m done having money tied up in them.

This is how I roll now, and I don’t judge others choices.

Last edited:
I’m a new player near retirement age. I was all set to start with a Squire classic vibe strat. The local shop is also a PRS dealer. I ended up with an SE Custom 22. I got captivated by the whole idea of the S2 Studio, and happened across a unicorn that had been built in 2021, new at the guitar sanctuary. I bought it sight unseen. I really like that guitar. I decided I wanted to try out a core PRS, and set about finding what I could afford, used of course. After a bunch of reverb and CL searching and help from all the fine folks here, I ended up with a bonified mint 2003 Santana III. I now have my fancy guitars. Any further guitar purchases will be based on merit of the guitar, with no need to be “fancy.” SE, Squire, Epiphone, Gretch import, won’t matter. I “needed” a couple of fancy guitars before I retire. After, value is king. Although, the studio @ $1500 and the Santana III at @ $1700 definitely qualify as value, given what I got for the money spent.

Last edited:
The Squier classic vibes are killer guitars. I hung onto mine for years even though I have plenty of other strats. Only reason I let it go is my brother in law wanted to learn guitar during covid. And I still miss it.
I learned how to mod guitars with a squier classic vibes. I learned a lot. Forever grateful for that $350 guitar.

If you want one of the best ever Squier guitars try and find a Squire Deluxe Strat. They were so good they stopped making them as they showed up the Mexican and in some cases the American Strats. They too were made by Cort guitars. Faultless build and the best strat neck ever. They were only available in White or Daphne Blue.
I am new to PRS. Thought I wanted a SE Pauls guitar. Played one and that is not for me. I bought a SE Custom 2408. I could see myself buying another PRS, however careful thought is required..................................

I, too, have a ZM and I haven’t found a guitar that I would choose before it. I’m not (and doubt I’ll ever be) in core territory but I’ve played many S2s at various shops. I keep thinking I’m going to find the one that blows me away. Many on this forum will say the S2s are light years ahead due to the US manufacturing but my ZM is a clear winner. I always thought it would be my stepping stone into S2s and (in my dreams) a core. In my personal experience, the SE ZM is #1.

It is a fine line of marketing PRS are walking. The SE models are right on the mark because they have to be. They are PRS's. Built in a special PRS only factory within the Coretek compound with 400 Staff. Make no mistake that is a PRS factory located in a different country owned by Cort.
I would be very interested in their closed door board room meetings on how they see their future marketing strategy. I guess as long as their by far biggest selling SE guitars remain profitable, the American factory operation can continue as they are now.
I for one, am very pleased with what they are doing now, offering different price points and still producing high quality products.

I had the SE CU22 and the S2 Studio at the same time for a while. I ended up selling the SE, mostly because of the pickups and the wide thin or pattern thin or whichever neck carve. Definitely not bad, I just liked the pattern neck on the S2 better. I also really like the tonal variety the HSS with “D Style” pickups and the Starla bridge HB. I like the Santana wide or whatever is on my Santana. Apparently I like a thicker neck. Anyway, I think the point I’m slowly heading for, is that the S2 is great. It might be better than the SE, but I kinda think not. I didn’t like the pickups in the SE CU22 though. Not very responsive to the tone control, didn’t split that well, and seemed a bit buzzy to me. The Starla bridge in the S2 Studio splits well, and is very responsive to the tone control. Both felt great, and both are stable AF as far as tuning. Slack string divebombs not withstanding.

Back