PRS hate! Why?

It always cracks ms up when people say things like "I'd never own a PRS no matter how well it played or sounded because of those horrible birds." Then they add another line to make sure we know how much they hate the birds. I've always loved the birds and think they add both a classy and unique identifier to the brand. Heck I have 2 with dots and I'd GLADLY pay to have them upgraded to birds if that were a thing.

There are a few things that would make me say "I don't care how great it feels, plays or sounds, because of X I would never own one." The GOD Aweful Tyler headstock for example... and the branding that actually accentuates the shape rather than masking it! But the birds?

Prs is doing great these days with sales so that is good. I just think about half or more in the guitar community don't like the birds. To have another cool inlay would make prs even more popular than it is. My first Prs had moons and was a McCarty rosewood. Birds were an option for more money. Some of the private stocks have cool inlays that I love. They wouldn't have to be so fancy for a core model, just something different.

Seems like a lot of people don't care about the birds and the headstock. I do like the Santana and Silver Sky headstock. How about some different fretboard inlays like the celtic knot and script birds? Big moons with the phases you can see better. Just a thought.
Cats or puppy inlays would be soooo much better. Paul, are you listening?

Seems like a lot of people don't care about the birds and the headstock. I do like the Santana and Silver Sky headstock. How about some different fretboard inlays like the celtic knot and script birds? Big moons with the phases you can see better. Just a thought.
The headstock shape with the birds and the lines of the body is what makes them sexy!

There are a few things that would make me say "I don't care how great it feels, plays or sounds, because of X I would never own one." The GOD Aweful Tyler headstock for example... and the branding that actually accentuates the shape rather than masking it! But the birds?
I am 150% in agreement with this. I remember when Tyler first hit the scene where I lived. They could be bought cheap. They were trying to break into the market and they put out a decent guitar for a great price. I played a few of them and they were pretty decent. I couldn't get past that headstock then and I still can't get past it today. There is no freaking way I would buy one of their guitars and that is the sole reason why.

black+headstock+pic.jpg

Wow!

I don’t see folks focusing on a real issue PRS has. Many of the high end models are gorgeous, expensive, and so precious they appear designed only for a showcase. I don’t know if many get played but I see them for sale in mint condition, for collectors. Given the fact that these are guitars, instruments for musicians, some folks like to deride the entire line. Not right - but PRS has set itself up for criticism.

I don’t see folks focusing on a real issue PRS has. Many of the high end models are gorgeous, expensive, and so precious they appear designed only for a showcase. I don’t know if many get played but I see them for sale in mint condition, for collectors. Given the fact that these are guitars, instruments for musicians, some folks like to deride the entire line. Not right - but PRS has set itself up for criticism.
Correct me if I am misinterpretting, but you are saying that producing some of the most beautiful guitars in the world was a bad move because people would hate the entire line (aka set themselves up for criticism)?

I can tell you that I play all three of of my PRSi (a core, a WL and a PS) and they are still in amazing condition ;~))

There are some collectors out there. I found that out quickly when I first joined here, and was critical of people who would buy such a great guitar and not play it. :) But most of them are played. I don’t have the highest end of PRS guitars, but have some really nice ones, and they are played regularly. I know from being here a few years that most of the guys here play theirs as well, so I disagree with your premise.

I don’t beat them, but I don’t beat any guitar I’ve ever had. But I’m not afraid to play them. They are INSTRUMENTS, so no matter how nice they are, they are MADE TO BE PLAYED. Ask Paul.

The headstock shape with the birds and the lines of the body is what makes them sexy!

Back in the 90’s you had the choice of dots/moons or birds, the birds weren’t forced on you like they are now. I wish PRS would go back to that. There were also many more finish options including some great solid color metallic finishes. So people who didn’t like the bling had options.

As for the headstock, I find it extremely dated at this point. Very 80’s looking. I think if they would just *slightly* round off all the points it would do wonders for the look. It would still look like a PRS, just a bit less dated.

Back