What picks do you favor for playing with your PRS?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Syne7, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Jazzedout

Jazzedout New Member

This for everything.

2. merciful-evans

merciful-evans New Member

Not really. The texture of the contact surface affects the sound. If its completely smooth and glossy it will 'chirp' like touching the string with a slide.
    It its very rough it will produce a white noise sound. A very textured surface would grate.

I like Guitpicky's advice about sanding though. That seems a good option for you.

3. 88prs

88prs New Member

Dunlop Derline 1.3... yes that's a heavy pick, but delivers a very warm tone... only problem is hard to get those pick harmonics but ok for me since the tone is so good

4. IOI

IOI New Member

A smaller pick like a Jazz3 would have the textured area closer to the tip, drilling holes or slashing across the pick with a blade will also help increase grip, and the material itself can make them more or less grippy.

5. oldjock

oldjock New Member

I have been experimenting for years to reduce the amount of slap noise from the pick. For acoustic I use Dunlop nylon .73, electric was a much more difficult task. I had alsmost settled in with the Dava green control. One night just for the hell of it I used some crazy glue to glue two picks together and not a bad result, since I prefer a thicker pick. After a few more combinations, I ended with two .73 yellow Tortex picks glued together. Couldn't be happier.

6. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

For the last couple of years, for the country band stuff, I’ve been using Dunlop .88mm Max Grip Nylon Standards. They make a better sound than other nylon picks I’ve tried, wear tirelessly, and have that freaky-good grip patch on both sides. For Prog/rock applications, I like Gravity 2mm and Dunlop John Petrucci (Jazz III with smooth tip and logo/grip).

In full disclosure, I have hundreds of picks and rotate to something different periodically, or when I get bored. It’s fun to challenge yourself to work with something completely different.

7. Rich5150

Rich5150 New Member

I have been digging the new Dunlop Flow picks mostly the Petrucci 2.0mm. [​IMG]

Boogie likes this.
  8. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc #NeverGibson

You can get them on Amazon as well in multipacks. That’s where I started getting them after my first experience like yours.

9. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

As a Prime member, I can't believe I didn't think to look there first!

10. Karan D. Taktawala

Jazz 3 XL Nylon. Never played a better pick!

Moved from Tortex 1.14 standard to T3s for better control
    Somehow got a hold of Herco Vintage 66 Nylons and loved the sound, hated the feel

Tried the Xl Nylons and I refuse to touch anything else. The Irony of life, hated the concept of getting into them because I always believed they were a metal shredder cheeze grater type thing.

But really they're the JB pickup of the plectrum World. Extremely misunderstood