What picks do you favor for playing with your PRS?

I've tried all kinds of grip style picks but realized I tend to hold the pick closer to the tip past the texture. Does anyone make a pick with the whole pick textured?

Not really. The texture of the contact surface affects the sound. If its completely smooth and glossy it will 'chirp' like touching the string with a slide.
It its very rough it will produce a white noise sound. A very textured surface would grate.

I like Guitpicky's advice about sanding though. That seems a good option for you.

Dunlop Derline 1.3... yes that's a heavy pick, but delivers a very warm tone... only problem is hard to get those pick harmonics but ok for me since the tone is so good

I've tried all kinds of grip style picks but realized I tend to hold the pick closer to the tip past the texture. Does anyone make a pick with the whole pick textured?

A smaller pick like a Jazz3 would have the textured area closer to the tip, drilling holes or slashing across the pick with a blade will also help increase grip, and the material itself can make them more or less grippy.

I have been experimenting for years to reduce the amount of slap noise from the pick. For acoustic I use Dunlop nylon .73, electric was a much more difficult task. I had alsmost settled in with the Dava green control. One night just for the hell of it I used some crazy glue to glue two picks together and not a bad result, since I prefer a thicker pick. After a few more combinations, I ended with two .73 yellow Tortex picks glued together. Couldn't be happier.

For the last couple of years, for the country band stuff, I’ve been using Dunlop .88mm Max Grip Nylon Standards. They make a better sound than other nylon picks I’ve tried, wear tirelessly, and have that freaky-good grip patch on both sides. For Prog/rock applications, I like Gravity 2mm and Dunlop John Petrucci (Jazz III with smooth tip and logo/grip).

In full disclosure, I have hundreds of picks and rotate to something different periodically, or when I get bored. It’s fun to challenge yourself to work with something completely different.

I have been digging the new Dunlop Flow picks mostly the Petrucci 2.0mm.
WW9SHLv.jpg

I ordered 4 of them to try out. They shipped 6 weeks ago, but I haven't gotten them yet. Customs, I'll wager.

You can get them on Amazon as well in multipacks. That’s where I started getting them after my first experience like yours.

Jazz 3 XL Nylon. Never played a better pick!

Moved from Tortex 1.14 standard to T3s for better control
Somehow got a hold of Herco Vintage 66 Nylons and loved the sound, hated the feel

Tried the Xl Nylons and I refuse to touch anything else. The Irony of life, hated the concept of getting into them because I always believed they were a metal shredder cheeze grater type thing.

But really they're the JB pickup of the plectrum World. Extremely misunderstood

I've been using Dunlop Tortex Jazz III picks, usually with the 0.88mm gauge.

Dunlop Ultex Sharp, 1.14mm. I like the body of a regular pick for strumming, but the sharpness of of something like a Jazz III for solos. To me, these are the perfect midway point.

Ok, I’ll be the un-cool dork — Fender 451 Classic Shell, Extra Heavy

I really like the Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm's., they make very little "clacking" noise and they produce a nice bright tone. In second place for a nice bright pick is the Tusq BA 1.0 White pick - quiet and articulate bright. I also got some Ice Pix metal picks that were in the case of a guitar I bought. Interesting picks, there are some 1.0's and some thinner that flex more, but they seem to play the same regardless of how much flex - not so much string noise but they stay crisp. Someone told me that Zappa played with them, don't know if that's true but I'm getting pretty comfortable with them. They will keep you on your "no-sloppy-stuff" toes.

Back