What picks do you favor for playing with your PRS?

I'm still experimenting. I used timber tones for a few years (of various woods) and really quite liked them, but they do wear down fairly quickly. I tried a stone tone thinking that it had the same shape as the timber tones that I liked but wouldn't wear out as quickly. Again I really liked the tone of it, clear and powerful, but also not sterile, and while it lasted better than the wood ones it did still wear out. Then I got directed to blue chip picks on one of the other pick threads as I was told that those just wouldn't wear at all - so far after a few months of using a TD80 they've been absolutely right, no discernible wear on the point at all. A bit of a pity that getting them here to the UK costs so much money!

My latest pick is a Big West Creation titanium pick - because I'm having a bit of a Brian May renaissance and whilst I do have a couple of sixpences, I find them a bit fiddly. I thought the titanium pick would get a similar sound but feel more traditional. So far so good.

i tried metal picks in the 80s, they tore up my strings (that i don’t change enough as it is). i can’t even imagine playing with a coin not sounding worse, because too thick and totally pointlessly round.

i tried metal picks in the 80s, they tore up my strings (that i don’t change enough as it is). i can’t even imagine playing with a coin not sounding worse, because too thick and totally pointlessly round.
I think it depends on the pick as much as whether they are metal as to how much they might tear up the strings. So far no problems for me, but then I'm not an overly heavy picker. A coin/metal pick certainly is part of the Brian May tone though, and works well in conduction with a treble booster.

I love that people here are so experimental with picks. I done most of my pick research now but still experiment with making my own picks.
Here is one:

This is a tough job. Its a stone pick in the process of being modified. Its slow work with diamond files

I still keep a V-Pick Psycho in every guitar case though.
V-PICKS-Psycho-Guitar-Pick1.jpg

It's funny, I never really gave much thought to what a difference a pick could make to the sound. For years, whatever I had laying around was good enough, usually Fender Celluloids, various Tortex or old Martins. It wasn't until I really spent some time over at AGF, that I started experimenting with different picks. I tried Primetones, Cools, Big Stubby's, and Pickboy Grips among others, but lately I've been using Dunlop Ultex Sharp 2.0's for both acoustic and electric playing and I really like them.

I've tried a bunch of different picks but always come back to the regular old Tortex. I like .73 for the most part but will wander between .60 and .88 depending.

I'd love to find a pick that makes me a guitar virtuoso, but sadly I think it's my general lack of coordination holding me back :)

I've tried all kinds of grip style picks but realized I tend to hold the pick closer to the tip past the texture. Does anyone make a pick with the whole pick textured?

At the moment, I am favouring Dava Picks - the Gels in particular...

I've been using Chicken Picks lately the BadAzzIII's (2.3mm) to be exact. I really like how they sound and the added thickness helps at least to my ears.

I used Dunlop nylon 1mm for years, I was often trying new picks but always went back to the Dunlops. Until I discovered Gravity picks, now the only pick I use.

I use a whole bunch of mostly dunlop picks. I change the type depending on the kind of attack I want since thickness and hardness can change the tone drastically. Favourites are some form of Jass III. Primarily red, primetone or green tortex versions of the III. I also like the Petrucci Flow pick for some things, its stubby but slick. I also use thin celluloids for the brightest sharpest attack.

I've been using Jazz III's for a while and I really like them. Someone on TGP gave a glowing review of the Ernie Ball Prodigy picks so I bought a six pack. For me they are even better than the Jazz's. They have a smoother contact than the Jazz and produce a great, thick tone. As much as I like the Jazz's they wear very quickly and I don't like them when they get scratchy so I was getting through a lot of them. I've been using the same two Prodigies for a couple of months and they are showing NO signs of wear. They're tough.

I've been using Chicken Picks lately the BadAzzIII's (2.3mm) to be exact. I really like how they sound and the added thickness helps at least to my ears.

Whatever material these are made of is the best I have comes across. Its hard but cannot be buffed into a gloss surface. So the contact surface is always at optimal condition.

Back