Do you ever bevel you picks?...and what your go to shape?

I use V Picks. Mostly Stiletto, but Venom as well. They are made of an acrylic that sticks to your finger/thumb, without being sticky...hard to describe. They have beveled picks of all descriptions.

I've mentioned it in threads in the past, I became enamored with Adamas picks several years ago, but about 2 years ago started buying the graphite picks from Rocky Mountain Slides. Basically interchangeable with the Adamas, since they are both jet black, I usually don't know which I pull out of the case. And you can buy them in a baker's dozen, which everyone knows is at least 8.33% superior to a regular old dozen.

Rocky Mountain Ultimate Graphite Pick

They sprinkle extra pepper on their food.
guinnessbrilliant.jpg

I've mentioned it in threads in the past, I became enamored with Adamas picks several years ago, but about 2 years ago started buying the graphite picks from Rocky Mountain Slides. Basically interchangeable with the Adamas, since they are both jet black, I usually don't know which I pull out of the case. And you can buy them in a baker's dozen, which everyone knows is at least 8.33% superior to a regular old dozen.

Their picks all look interesting. Have you tried any of their horn or bone picks? What do graphite picks sound like compared to other pick materials?

I might take a chance and buy a couple.

After going down the pick rabbit hole during my stint with Bluegrass I never knew how much difference (for me) a pre beveled pick makes. For years I played stock teardrop squared edged picks like fenders, tortex... etc but after feeling how a beveled pick glides across the strings (especially for single note runs) theres no going back. I take out the micro mesh and go to town on my favorite already pre beveled (but not enough) large triangle Dunlop primetone 1.4's.
Are you going to post a link to the ones you use?

Very interesting, I just ordered 6 to try.
Mucho gracias.

Their picks all look interesting. Have you tried any of their horn or bone picks? What do graphite picks sound like compared to other pick materials?

I might take a chance and buy a couple.

I haven’t tried their others. I find graphite to be very articulate and they seem to accentuate harmonics. Depending on attack angle and other factors, you can get a unique sort of chirp out of them as well. I also feel like I get a wider variation on tone as I alter the amount/area of the pick I’m making contact the string.

I should hasten to say that these are all subtle differences, but to my ear and hand, notable. I can also see why some people would not like them. I have a fairly light touch, so I can’t say how they’d perform for someone who likes to wail away, but it‘s a stiff, fairly thick pick so there’s that.

Something tells me you’d at least find it an interesting experiment.

Last edited:
Back