Do you ever bevel you picks?...and what your go to shape?

Victor Vector

Born to Rip
After going down the pick rabbit hole during my stint with Bluegrass I never knew how much difference (for me) a pre beveled pick makes. For years I played stock teardrop squared edged picks like fenders, tortex... etc but after feeling how a beveled pick glides across the strings (especially for single note runs) theres no going back. I take out the micro mesh and go to town on my favorite already pre beveled (but not enough) large triangle Dunlop primetone 1.4's.

I sometimes use Ernie Ball Prodigy picks....they are nice, but I always end up gravitating to my trusted good old Dunlop big stubby ones. In my opinion they are even faster for single note runs than the beveled ones (or maybe I have gotten too used to them)

No, I find that the less sharp areas on the pick (bevel and point) the better then pick glides over the strings when picking fast. I have a V-pick with sharp bevels and point that was over $10 and I HATE that thing!
Only 10 bucks?....youve never played (or bought) a Blue Chip pick then. Theyre 40 bucks BUT totally worth it especially for acoustic/mandolin until you lose it....Ive lost 2 lol.

I typically use Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks. I like them the way they are. I tend to play with them longer than I should. I wear the tips off then they react differently on the strings. At some point I will realize that picking is taking more effort than it used to and look at the pick. Then I realize I should have thrown that one away a while ago and grab a new one. Then picking goes back to normal.

I have used 1.5mm and 2.0mm occasionally in the past. Those are not made of the same material and they come with a bevel on the edge since they are so thick.

I would like to see some pictures of what you are talking about though. I always willing to give something new a try.

I typically use Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks. I like them the way they are. I tend to play with them longer than I should. I wear the tips off then they react differently on the strings. At some point I will realize that picking is taking more effort than it used to and look at the pick. Then I realize I should have thrown that one away a while ago and grab a new one. Then picking goes back to normal.

I have used 1.5mm and 2.0mm occasionally in the past. Those are not made of the same material and they come with a bevel on the edge since they are so thick.

I would like to see some pictures of what you are talking about though. I always willing to give something new a try.
Wish I could post some pics of what I do to them to show you in more detail but cant on this forum as we all know you need a host site and that aint gonna happen lol. Basically sanding down the sides of the leading edges at the tip so theres around a 45 degree angle that decreases as it goes towards the top of the pick.

What this does is it creates less friction at the point where the pick meets the string making it glide across them with less resistance and pick noise.

No, I've never tried the super expensive picks. I really can't see them improving my playing or picking speed at all though, over my current favs.
Thats what I thought until I tried one. YMMV

Never used to buy into the boutique pick theory but for me, beveled edges are a game changer. You dont need expensive ones to try it.

Think about it, in the violin world a good bow can cost thousands. Where the pedal meets the metal is so often overlooked by guitarists and has a distinct effect on your playing whether you know it or not.

Last edited:
Thats what I thought until I tried one. YMMV

Never used to buy into the boutique pick theory but for me, beveled edges are a game changer. You dont need expensive ones to try it.
I'm not against trying one, just never have. And, while at one point in my life I never thought I'd say this, I really don't see any need to go any faster than I can now. If you remember the "notes per second" discussion about a year ago, I put up something that was hitting 18-20 or so notes per second, all picked, and that wasn't a "lets see the fastest you can go" it was just something I recorded. I can play a little faster than what I played there, but like I said, I just don't have a need to do it.

I'm not against trying one, just never have. And, while at one point in my life I never thought I'd say this, I really don't see any need to go any faster than I can now. If you remember the "notes per second" discussion about a year ago, I put up something that was hitting 18-20 or so notes per second, all picked, and that wasn't a "lets see the fastest you can go" it was just something I recorded. I can play a little faster than what I played there, but like I said, I just don't have a need to do it.
Ah but its not about fast my friend, its for playability and tone. Less resistance and pick noise = smoother right hand and balanced attack. Like I mentioned its a lot more evident on acoustics but still shines trues on all plectrum operated instruments IMHO.

All good though...this guitar stuff is so subjective there is no right or wrong just preferences.

p.s. as to your specific topic question though, I found sharper edges create drag and actually slow me down. That's why I don't like super sharp pick points as well.
I can see how sharper points can 'catch' and create more drag but Im not referring to a sharp point rather the sides. Its basically physics....angle of attack in relation to the bevels creates less drag. All picks wear down and create a bevel when used, this just speeds up that process.

Wish I could post some pics of what I do to them to show you in more detail but cant on this forum as we all know you need a host site and that aint gonna happen lol. Basically sanding down the sides of the leading edges at the tip so theres around a 45 degree angle that decreases as it goes towards the top of the pick.

What this does is it creates less friction at the point where the pick meets the string making it glide across them with less resistance and pick noise.
I get it. I don't use a pic hosting site either and really don't want to.

How thick of a pick are you using and putting the bevel on?

I don't think I could pick anywhere near that fast. My left hand is faster than my right. It would be cool if I brought the right hand up to where the left hand is. It is something I have never really focused on. I have been able to hit the stuff I wanted to. I have had a few moments at gigs where I pulled some things off that impressed me. It is always fun to impress yourself right in the middle of a song.

Green .88 Dunlop Tortex with sanded tips:
F6k3AGy.jpg

I round off the sides and yes, bevel the tip. It's too squared off otherwise after sanding.

I reshape them several times cuz the tip does wear out quicker.
This sanding usually happens during online meetings where the camera is off.

Last edited:
Ah but its not about fast my friend, its for playability and tone. Less resistance and pick noise = smoother right hand and balanced attack. Like I mentioned its a lot more evident on acoustics but still shines trues on all plectrum operated instruments IMHO.

All good though...this guitar stuff is so subjective there is no right or wrong just preferences.
post a pic of your favorite so I can look at the edges

I don't think I could pick anywhere near that fast. My left hand is faster than my right. It would be cool if I brought the right hand up to where the left hand is. It is something I have never really focused on.
When I was a teenager and had only played for a year or so, I got my first Al Di Meola album. I decided then that it was more impressive to pick every note, like he did, than to just pick every few notes. I worked hard to get my picking hand really fast so I could pick every note. Not all the time, of course, but whenever I wanted too. Of course, Yngwie came along a couple years later and blew everyone away with his speed and playing, but I quickly saw his "pick one note and play three" style.

One thing that allows a LOT of notes is sweep picking. I've never focused on that at all. I probably should, just never have. I do some minor sweep picking but nothing advanced.

I've tried all kinds of picks and it makes no difference when trying to get a bit of speed going. Oh well, can't have it all!

Back