Picks

I guess I should try a few of them. It's always good to have choices for times when I want to mess with a different type of tone and pick attack.

Given the breadth of what you play, you'll probably find them useful on occasion.

I have a couple "real deal" tortoise shell picks a friend of mine gave me years ago. I never really used them because they seemed more like something to 'have' rather than 'use', and they weren't my preferred shape.

Recently I decided what the hell, and re-shaped them into the large teardrop shape I prefer. I must say I really like them. The thickness is a bit random, although they're both 'thick' picks and have an interesting wavy texture. Now they're large teardrops with my trademark holes in the center for grip and I must say I really like them a lot!

20230720-134421.jpg

I have a couple "real deal" tortoise shell picks a friend of mine gave me years ago. I never really used them because they seemed more like something to 'have' rather than 'use', and they weren't my preferred shape.

Recently I decided what the hell, and re-shaped them into the large teardrop shape I prefer. I must say I really like them. The thickness is a bit random, although they're both 'thick' picks and have an interesting wavy texture. Now they're large teardrops with my trademark holes in the center for grip and I must say I really like them a lot!

20230720-134421.jpg

They were the pick of choice for hundreds of years. My RedBear are the closest in tone that I have found but they still don't compare.

They were the pick of choice for hundreds of years.
Absolutely true, and for good reason! They sound great.

I began using them hundreds of years ago myself.

This was before anyone was worried about running out of sea turtles. In fact, folks weren't worried about running out of a damn thing, because there weren't enough people using things up to make that happen.

Now...pfft! Too many peeps!

I read today that salmon are becoming endangered by a variety of environmental and other things.

Better get your salmon picks while ya can! ;)

This was before anyone was worried about running out of sea turtles. In fact, folks weren't worried about running out of a damn thing, because there weren't enough people using things up to make that happen.

Well you know there's only one remedy to our overpopulation problems.....

...........Soylent Green.

Dunlop Tortex purple jazz since the 80's. Sometimes when I feel like mixing it up I use a Tortex green jazz!

I have boxes of others but always come back to Tortex purple jazz.

Absolutely true, and for good reason! They sound great.

I began using them hundreds of years ago myself.

I read today that salmon are becoming endangered by a variety of environmental and other things.

Better get your salmon picks while ya can! ;)
I highly recommend fresh Copper River Salmon, definitely the best taste, er, tone for those new picks!

Last edited:

20230720-134421.jpg

Hmmmm would make great buttons on a dress shirt! Love it.

Back