Wax pot 58/15LT or Replace?

Shredso

Wax Pot or New Pickups?

My main guitars have been a McCarty Brazilian and a McCarty trem for nearly 20 years. I had been eyeballing the McCarty 594 Core for a while, and finally snagged one last year. My previous McCarty’s sound very similar, the 594 has a distinct sound, which I like a lot. Unfortunately the squeal makes it difficult to use live, even on what I would consider moderate gain settings.

My understanding is that these pickups are not wax potted, or very lightly waxed. My dilemma is:

1. Do I wax pot the existing pickups hopefully retaining most of the unique tone? I bought all the stuff to do it, I’ve never done it but it looks pretty straightforward. Has anyone tried wax potting a 58/15 LT?

1. Don’t risk damaging or making irreversible changes to an expensive pickup and replace it with something more appropriate for playing rock music. I’m worried going this route will give me 3 guitars that sound very similar. I’m not certain what pickups are in my other 2 McCartys (Brazilian Limited to 500 (2004?) and a trem(2007?)). Any suggestions on a pickup that sounds close to the stock ones but are wax potted, maybe with a little more output? The 58/15 without the LT doesn’t seem available for purchase. 57/08 seems like the obvious option, but open to other possibilities.

I had not heard that the 58/15LT pickups were not wax potted. I didn't have any feedback issues with mine like I did a set of Seth Lovers in another guitar I have. I did swap the pickups out of my 594 but the reason was that there was far too much of a volume drop off when switching guitars at gigs. I put a set of 57/08 pickups in it and that resolved the issue I was having. I like the guitar better with the pickup swap.

I had not heard that the 58/15LT pickups were not wax potted. I didn't have any feedback issues with mine like I did a set of Seth Lovers in another guitar I have. I did swap the pickups out of my 594 but the reason was that there was far too much of a volume drop off when switching guitars at gigs. I put a set of 57/08 pickups in it and that resolved the issue I was having. I like the guitar better with the pickup swap.
I read about the volume issue, it may have been a previous post of yours. I've never swapped this guitar mid set, so I never noticed the volume change. That may be enough reason alone to go with the replacement.

I read about the volume issue, it may have been a previous post of yours. I've never swapped this guitar mid set, so I never noticed the volume change. That may be enough reason alone to go with the replacement.
It was enough for me. I learned something about the 57/08 pickups through my adventure with them. The newer 4 conductor versions are hotter. I have a number of guitars with them. Most of them came stock in the guitars. I have mostly the two wire, plus tap wire, versions in my guitars. I have the newer version in my 594 and I have a P22 trem that has a newer set in it and those guitars punch harder into an OD tone than the others do. It is noticeable if you switch from one of the guitars with the two wire versions to one with the 4 wire version.

Wax Pot or New Pickups?

My main guitars have been a McCarty Brazilian and a McCarty trem for nearly 20 years. I had been eyeballing the McCarty 594 Core for a while, and finally snagged one last year. My previous McCarty’s sound very similar, the 594 has a distinct sound, which I like a lot. Unfortunately the squeal makes it difficult to use live, even on what I would consider moderate gain settings.

My understanding is that these pickups are not wax potted, or very lightly waxed. My dilemma is:

1. Do I wax pot the existing pickups hopefully retaining most of the unique tone? I bought all the stuff to do it, I’ve never done it but it looks pretty straightforward. Has anyone tried wax potting a 58/15 LT?

1. Don’t risk damaging or making irreversible changes to an expensive pickup and replace it with something more appropriate for playing rock music. I’m worried going this route will give me 3 guitars that sound very similar. I’m not certain what pickups are in my other 2 McCartys (Brazilian Limited to 500 (2004?) and a trem(2007?)). Any suggestions on a pickup that sounds close to the stock ones but are wax potted, maybe with a little more output? The 58/15 without the LT doesn’t seem available for purchase. 57/08 seems like the obvious option, but open to other possibilities.
Have you tried using some type of gate or noise suppressor?
You can kick it off for leads and leave it on for rhythms.
My Gary Rossington LP has non-potted pickups and squeals like pig without keeping my NS-2 on.

J/K, but ever think: Kiwi, the flightless hairy bird, the shoe polish, the fuzzy fruit, or how New Zealander's describe themselves individually?

So when you play at high gain
Wax Pot or New Pickups?

I have not wax potted a 58/15 LT. Are you getting microphonic feedback? That loud whistling when you face your amp? Like the way a microphone feedsback with a PA.

There are four screws under the pickup holding the two plastic coils to the base.

Be very gentle because they strip easily, but try tightening them.

Or maybe one is stripped and not holding tight.

A drop of Super glue in the bobbin screw hole allowed to dry over night will fix that but retighten super gently.

If none of this works go ahead and wax pot them.

It's easy.

Do your pickups have covers? Or are they uncovered?

I think 5815LT are wax potted. I seem to remember seeing wax when doing pole piece adjustments. If not. It's easy enough. I personally don't get any microphonic feedback and they take gain surprisingly well. I vote wax potted.

Back