VB in bridge position.

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I had suggested a couple times that I wanted to try a VB pickup in bridge position, I actually tried it over the weekend.

I have a guitar that I had built over ten years ago, thick hog body with thin maple cap. One PU, one volume and floyd trem.

I used a push pull 500k pot so I could get split tones.

Really didn't know what to expect but I'm pleasantly surprised.

I actually like VB as a neck PU, it can be pretty bassy but the best way for me to describe its tone is "juicy". ??

As a bridge pickup it has a more round tone with ZERO harshness, single notes kind of have that same note "push" i get with LT pickups in my McCarty. The LT bridge isn't a tone that I lust after but it's full thick and feels good under my fingers which is how I'd describe this VB application.

This guitar does not have top body carve like my prs guitars do so it puts my arm in an odd position. Don't care for that. Irritates a shoulder injury. Ugh

I should mention that the VB I had in my parts drawer(s) is a zebra!!! At the jack it measures 8.82/4.46. Even though I wasn't 100% sure how to wire it, what I ended up with seems to work....soooo.

The 1990 Limited Edition (semi-hollow) guitars have the Vintage Bass pickup in both the neck and bridge positions, and I think it's a fantastic setup. Sounds very much like some of the other low-wind '50s pickup sets that are available today (e.g., Lollar, Fralin, Gibson Custom Shop, etc.).

The 1990 Limited Edition (semi-hollow) guitars have the Vintage Bass pickup in both the neck and bridge positions, and I think it's a fantastic setup. Sounds very much like some of the other low-wind '50s pickup sets that are available today (e.g., Lollar, Fralin, Gibson Custom Shop, etc.).
I wasn't aware of this model and its pickups.

Very cool.

Back