What picks do you favor for playing with your PRS?

Syne7

I often use Dunlop big stubby's to play. I just picked up a RedBear off or eBay on a Lark. What picks do you guys use?

Jason

Currently about 1/5 of the way through a 10-pack of Pickboy 150 celluloid jazz picks. Fabulous warm tone but still very good clarity, they have grip holes and stay mostly put. My strings are eating ‘em for breakfast of course but that’s celluloid. I tried and loved a V-Picks Dimension Jr a while back. Probably going to give the Dunlop primetone jazz a try next.

Varies. I've been trying a lot of different picks lately. I got several picks of differing materials (wood, bone, metal, stone) from Timber Tones, in England. I am surprised how much I like their African Ebony pick. Blue Chip, Red Bear, and the V-Pick Bullseye also get time.

Recently switched to the Dunlop Tortex "pointy" picks - love them as I find my picking is a lot more precise.

Pick threads are always fun. I’m addicted to the Blue Chip picks, and have a bunch; my preference is the Jazz III shape, because pointy picks mean faster picking. But I also still sometimes use celluloid mediums when I want something very flexible that has that celluloid sound and feel.

I also carry a Dunlop Ultex Jazz III with me at all times. Just in case.

Dunlop speedpicks for the last 30 years. I can't imagine how slow I'd be if I used regular picks. I'd scare you.

I played Tortex blue (1mm) picks for decades, then switched to Ultex 1mm (both std shape) a few years ago.

Love 'em.

I tried the pointy, but didn't get used to them.

Over the years I have gone lighter and lighter

I use a local company's slightly oversized .65mm picks. They are a rubbed matt type finish not a polished plastic

Ultex .88
Blue Chip TD35
Primetone .88
V-picks UL

I rotate between those 4, depending on my mood.

Also just snagged a Charmed Life CLT and it's awesome for acoustic rhythm

“Gravity Picks”-Big mini style...the acrylic is very percussive sounding, especially the thinner ones like 1.5 mil. I use 1.5 up to 3 mil, depending on the mood I’m in. The 1.5 and 2 mil’s are the best sounding though.

I use Dunlop Jazz III John Petrucci picks. I kind of stumbled on them. I tried one just for giggles and it just felt so natural to my hand and my picking became much improved.

Back