What picks do you favor for playing with your PRS?

I have picks I use but don't vary them based on the guitar being played.

The old Adamas carbon fiber or more recently Dunlop carbon fiber picks. No bend or flex, I let my fingers do the flexing for hard or soft attack.

Yeah I know, kind of picky about it!

images
images

Cheap and easy - works evey time.

Tyler will help you pick your pick...

I've been using the blue Dunlops for about a year. I've tried dozens and I seem to always end up picking up the blue ones. It's up to you to pick your picks. Nobody can pick for you.

I couldn't help myself. :p

I use the Dunlop Jazz 3 EJ picks. I like the texture on them and my only ‘complaint’ is that they’re probably harder to strum with; otherwise, very accurate. I’d love a slightly thinner version of this one. I have a light grip on my pick so smoother, thinner picks slip out of my grip. Holding a pick tighter kinda ends up hurting my thumb joint, so definitely trying to avoid that!

I'm rather picky, but if I had to pick a pick, I'd pick the pick that picks properly.

Ok...sometimes depends on what style I am playing but usually Dunlop tortex.

Dunlop Nylon standard .88 or 1 mm.After years of playing Jazz 3s I now prefer the standard size and a little flex in the pick.

Edit:After writing this i went through my plectrumbox and found two new picks I really like.Dunlop gator grip 1.14 and Ultex jazz3 xl.

Last edited:
These are the type of pics I use for different situations. Most used for electric is lower right the Dunlop Jeff Loomis Ultex. Jazz III and prime tone 1.4 (ultex) For certain playing more precise. The Dunlop ultex sharp .73 I use for all my acoustic playing. And the two copper Pics on the left top one is made from a 1799 British have Penny, I use this to record electric leads and the thin copper pick is what I used to use and sometimes fool around with her recording leads. I can’t tell you what to make is anymore I’ve had it since I was a teenager believe it or not and the name is worn off.

DTCWGYg.jpg

I think these picks are really cool, but $35 a pop?!! :eek: I know that may sound silly since I’ve been known to spend a bit more than that on a guitar, but I don’t tend to loose guitars. On the other hand, I can’t keep a pick to save my soul. :(
I woulda sent my extra one to you, but I mailed it to Hans a couple of weeks ago.

I keep a wide variety of picks in my case, that I feel offer me subtle differences in feel, tone, attack, etc. However, I basically play with Fender 355 Heavy Gauge picks (the big triangle ones), or their D'Andrea equivalent, almost exclusively.

I think these picks are really cool, but $35 a pop?!! :eek: I know that may sound silly since I’ve been known to spend a bit more than that on a guitar, but I don’t tend to loose guitars. On the other hand, I can’t keep a pick to save my soul. :(
I have it on good authority that Hell is populated with serial pick losers.

Back