• Country

• Classical

• Jazz

• Bluegrass

• Other

• Internet Guitar

• Forum Virtuoso

Results are only viewable after voting.
I never had lessons, never concerned myself with scales, have no desire to become a shredder. Just a hobby. I bought my first guitar forty-two years ago out of a JC Penney catalog and when I got it, just plugged it in and figured some things out. From then, I've always recorded my sessions and revisited things I laid down. Over the years I've added alot more guitars and a bunch of gear, but just for my own entertainment. Some have Floyd Rose setups on them and it's easier to have different guitars tuned different ways to grab instead of fighting those at times to tune and retune.

My pedals are basically for "what kind of noise can I make today", except for the one to keep noise out :). So, I just make 'my' noise hence why I responded that way. I'm terrible, nobody, but it's mine.
Cool story and similar in many ways to mine. When I got my first guitar I just wanted to play. I wasn't interested in playing other people songs, I wanted to invent mine. I didn't even know I needed to tune the thing. I just picked it up and started plunking away on various strings and making up melodies. I remember a pastor from church came over and I was so excited to tell him about my new (to me) guitar. He picked it up and said it is badly out of tune. I didn't know any better. He tuned it up for me on the spot and when he left I went to go play my melodies and none of them sounded right. He ruined everything by tuning it...lol. As time passed I grew up and learned and still to this day have yet to have a proper lesson. I love thinking back on the innocence and genuineness I had towards the guitar those first months as a young boy.

Cool story and similar in many ways to mine. When I got my first guitar I just wanted to play. I wasn't interested in playing other people songs, I wanted to invent mine. I didn't even know I needed to tune the thing. I just picked it up and started plunking away on various strings and making up melodies. I remember a pastor from church came over and I was so excited to tell him about my new (to me) guitar. He picked it up and said it is badly out of tune. I didn't know any better. He tuned it up for me on the spot and when he left I went to go play my melodies and none of them sounded right. He ruined everything by tuning it...lol. As time passed I grew up and learned and still to this day have yet to have a proper lesson. I love thinking back on the innocence and genuineness I had towards the guitar those first months as a young boy.
my first guitar belonged to my cousin and had the roy clark (‘king scholar’?) stickers at the fret, i learned to tune up from that.

Hey, it beats rotting in front of a TV all night!
Better be careful, or you may wind up scoring orchestral music like me. I haven't watched TV since 1995 or so, except for Michigan football, but never mind that.

It's a fate worse than death, because the differences between me and, say, Felix Mendelssohn or Beethoven comprise an endlessly long list. I constantly compare myself to these icons and come up short. WAY short!

Never mind that compared to Bach, everyone is an idiot!

Better be careful, or you may wind up scoring orchestral music like me. I haven't watched TV since 1995 or so, except for Michigan football, but never mind that.

It's a fate worse than death, because the differences between me and, say, Felix Mendelssohn or Beethoven comprise an endlessly long list. I constantly compare myself to these icons and come up short. WAY short!

Never mind that compared to Bach, everyone is an idiot!
my dorm neigbor and best friend(!) from grad school was a piano player over from the paris conservatory. everyone else on the floor was ‘not as good‘ at their instrument. i don’t think i ever held a guitar in front of her.

my dorm neigbor and best friend(!) from grad school was a piano player over from the paris conservatory. everyone else on the floor was ‘not as good‘ at their instrument. i don’t think i ever held a guitar in front of her.
I'd have had to sneak around in the dead of night, since I'm not as good as anyone.

I would say rock player, even though 80% of the time I play blues and jazz. Someone might say that makes me a fusion player, and maybe that would be correct.

For my soul, it’s blues. For my wallet, it’s theatre music but I’ll play anything except bro country. I’m not happy unless people can dance. They give me the gift of positive energy.

At my core, I'm a hard rock/blues rock guy. I listen to a ton of stuff from a variety of genres, but when I pick up my guitars, a nice crispy pentatonic riff is what comes out the majority of the time!

Back