The DGT Is Truly The Perfect Guitar - For Me.

I’ve been seeking out warm thicker tones lately, and the DGT and the LP’s fit the bill.
I like a thick tone these days as well. The DGT might be the brightest guitar I have, though it doesn't poke my ear in a bad way, I like the frequency balance.

Since I have to play more slowly than I used to (nerve damage to my fretting hand), a thick, warm tone with strong sustain means I can get away with slower, more melodic lines without sounding wimpy.

I like the formula (starting point a McTrem), but I have a more difficult time on smaller neck carve/fretboard widths these days. Which is a shame because I like everyone else about the model!

I like the formula (starting point a McTrem), but I have a more difficult time on smaller neck carve/fretboard widths these days. Which is a shame because I like everyone else about the model!
The weird thing for me is that I'm actually doing a bit better with the narrower fretboard widths these days!

I think my fingers are getting too friggin' lazy to move more than however many mm each string is from the other string on the DGT fretboard. ;)

The weird thing for me is that I'm actually doing a bit better with the narrower fretboard widths these days!

I think my fingers are getting too friggin' lazy to move more than however many mm each string is from the other string on the DGT fretboard. ;)
The good, no GREAT thing about guitar (unlike many sports hobbies etc.) is that we can do it, and be successful for a loooooong time! :)

Totally.

I play any of my W/T guitars now and I’m outta breath like running stairs.

I'm struggling to find the words about what sounds different/unique with this guitar. I've been using terms like 'twang' and 'brighter' that really aren't enough to describe what's going on with the tone.

Clarity? I dunno, one person's 'clarity' is somebody's 'too bright' and another person's 'too muddy'. Etc.

My analogies aren't accurate, because comparisons to other guitars aren't great descriptors.

For example, If I say the guitar has an open, clear sound like a Tele, someone else will say - rightly - it doesn't sound like a Tele.

But I don't mean that it sounds like a Tele at all, what I mean is that it has an open, airy tone with a solid fundamental, and these are among the characteristics of a good Tele. A Tele has other characteristics that aren't like the DGT, so sure, it sounds different.

Am I making any sense here?

"Laz, you definitely don't want an honest answer, so I'll tell you what you want to hear. Sure, you're making sense."

"Really?"

"No. But I'm glad you like the guitar."

I'm struggling to find the words about what sounds different/unique with this guitar. I've been using terms like 'twang' and 'brighter' that really aren't enough to describe what's going on with the tone.

Clarity? I dunno, one person's 'clarity' is somebody's 'too bright' and another person's 'too muddy'. Etc.

My analogies aren't accurate, because comparisons to other guitars aren't great descriptors.

For example, If I say the guitar has an open, clear sound like a Tele, someone else will say - rightly - it doesn't sound like a Tele.

But I don't mean that it sounds like a Tele at all, what I mean is that it has an open, airy tone with a solid fundamental, and these are among the characteristics of a good Tele. A Tele has other characteristics that aren't like the DGT, so sure, it sounds different.

"Laz, you definitely don't want an honest answer, so I'll tell you what you want to hear. Sure, you're making sense."

"Really?"

You’d likely love this guitar. Pernambuco neck with Ebony board and 57/08s. Has the most clarity of any guitar I’ve tried. I wouldn’t describe it as bright, just clear with lots of sustain. With gain, has a great growl to it. Pattern Regular neck carve, similar fretboard width as the DGT carve.

51-ECD149-2-D69-4-A1-E-A1-B9-81-E5045-EED1-C.jpg

"Really?"

I took a hard look at my SC SH 594 and think the bridge pup is "elevated". I love it.
Hmmm...

You’d likely love this guitar. Pernambuco neck with Ebony board and 57/08s. Has the most clarity of any guitar I’ve tried. I wouldn’t describe it as bright, just clear with lots of sustain. With gain, has a great growl to it. Pattern Regular neck carve, similar fretboard width as the DGT carve.

51-ECD149-2-D69-4-A1-E-A1-B9-81-E5045-EED1-C.jpg
Gorgeous guitar - stellar in every way!

I don't usually go in for ebony fretboards on an electric, but I'd guess it's a different thing with the pernie neck.

PRS gives neck dimensions down to /64"... They're that consistent?
The necks are carved on a computer-controlled CNC machine, so that's the expectation. How much the subsequent hand sanding causes the final measurement to depart slightly from the CNC machine's carve I can't say.

I'd guess that any difference is minuscule, but each individual neck does seem to have its own feel and vibe.

Not that it matters to me if they're 100% in spec after sanding and finishing or not. If it feels good, I'm happy.

DGT is on my “need to try” list. I got my hands on the SE version recently, it was… okay, but I think that has more to do with the SE part than the DGT part. I’m recently seeing some cracks in the foundation of SE, which is something I don’t say lightly, but beside the point of this conversation…

I totally understand Disclaimer #2, but I have to say, the more I dig, the more I find that a humbucker guitar that works is a humbucker guitar that works, period. I can play classic rock, blues, metal, if it’s a winner. I’ve had a few go ‘rounds with high output pickups, and I just don’t get along with them - the need to slam the front of an amp via HO pickups is, for me, now negated by the ultra-wide selection of boost pedals and amps with insane amounts of gain, and comes at the cost of inherent tone, clarity, and richness of the amplified sound.

Gorgeous guitar - stellar in every way!

I don't usually go in for ebony fretboards on an electric, but I'd guess it's a different thing with the pernie neck.
It’s funny, typically on electric I’m a RW guy for fretboards, but ebony on acoustic. This guitar is my only exception, but oh boy it sounds fabulous.

Back