The DGT Is Truly The Perfect Guitar - For Me.

What years were those? When I bought my CU22 in 06, the wide fat neck carve was the most common. There was an occasional wide thin here and there. The CU24 is the model that you would occasionally see the Regular neck carve on. Most had a wide thin in 06. My CU24 has the WT. I also bought that one in 06.
I’m speaking only of the CU22 Soapbar. I had a 1998 model and a 2003 model if memory serves. I don’t recall a neck carve option on that model, but it’s possible.

It’s also possible my recollection is faulty. It’s been a long time.

It was available with maple or rosewood fretboard. I had one of each.

Has anybody looked into the control cavity of their DGT and thought about upgrading the components on the wiring harness. The capacitors look really cheap. I was thinking about changing them out to some sprague orange drops.

Last edited:
Has anybody looked into the control cavity of their DGT and thought about upgrading and components on the wiring harness. The capacitors look really cheap. I was thinking about changing them out to some sprague orange drops.
In the past I found that modding a great guitar nearly always made it less great.

Then, too, sometimes an inexpensive part is the right choice for tone. I recall Doug Sewell saying that about the hand wired CAD amps, like my HXDA and DG30.

YMMV,.

What tone improvement would you expect the orange drops would provide? Also, if you want the highest quality parts, why not German WIMA caps?

I had the honor to play two DGT in my life, both PS. The really chunky neck profile likewise a bat requires some time. I was curious, if a DGT could beat my 513 soundwise, especially in the split modes. If express my observations positively. If you don't own a 513, the DGT is a very versatile guitar (based on little bit of LP genes).
I felt more comfy - ergonomically and by the voice - with my line of prime numbers.

I had the honor to play two DGT in my life, both PS. The really chunky neck profile likewise a bat requires some time. I was curious, if a DGT could beat my 513 soundwise, especially in the split modes. If express my observations positively. If you don't own a 513, the DGT is a very versatile guitar (based on little bit of LP genes).
I felt more comfy - ergonomically and by the voice - with my line of prime numbers.
Granted that ‘chunky’ can mean different things to different players, but I wonder if the PS DGTs you played had the standard DGT neck?

The DGT is actually the narrowest neck of any Core model, and is the exact same depth as he Pattern neck shape. Doesn’t seem very chunky to me, just feels great. But all of us have different hands.

I was under the impression that the 513 carve is as deep, and wider than the DGT neck, similar to the earlier wide-fat carve. In other words, by spec the 513 is chunkier.

I haven't played the core DGT, but I remember words, that the DGT and the 513 have the biggest frets of all PRS models.
Too my big but thin hands and fingers the DGT (PS) necks felt slightly fatter than to my Pattern Regular 513.

Last edited:
OK, remember the bit I said about the clarity of tone on the DGT?

Listen to the first few notes Tim Pierce plays on the blue DGT starting at 03:03 early in the first video I posted above. That's it; and it's what I can't put into words.

It's that elusive tone quality that just grabs me by the ears and says, "This is what electric guitar is supposed to sound like!"

Granted, we all have different tastes and ideas, and I only speak for myself. I'm not proselytizing here - that kind of sound may not be your thing, and that's OK.

But for me? That big, solid, open sound drives an amp (tube of course!! ;)) the right way.

"Can you play like Tim Pierce, Laz?"

"No, I play like me, which is to say, not as well. But I like to play what I play with a tone I like."

"That's not good enough for me, sir! You don't deserve that guitar!"

"Yeah, So what else is new?"

I know I’ve shared this a few times, but I think it illustrates to certain extent what you’re referring to -

Compare this with the tones that David gets and blindfolded you’d probably swear that they were two different models of guitar.

I know I’ve shared this a few times, but I think it illustrates to certain extent what you’re referring to -

Compare this with the tones that David gets and blindfolded you’d probably swear that they were two different models of guitar.
Yes! Definitely illustrates that and, yes, different from Grissom, though some of that has to do with the amp, as well as the player.

The common factor is the articulation and cut.

Back