Guitar stands/hangers: rubber/cork/foam? (and finish damage)

ruger9

So I have String Swings, which are some kind of foam where they touch the guitars. I've never had a problem with them affecting finishes, but my only non-nitro/lacquer guitar is my DGT. And I don't even know what it REALLY is (it's a 2022) ... I'm looking to get a couple of floor stands (the kind that look like a small tripod), and the L&M brand comes with either rubber or cork.... is cork less likely to affect a nitro finish than rubber? (I assume this is why they give people the choice)

So I have String Swings, which are some kind of foam where they touch the guitars. I've never had a problem with them affecting finishes, but my only non-nitro/lacquer guitar is my DGT. And I don't even know what it REALLY is (it's a 2022) ...
As I understand it, in 2022 PRS was finishing the DGT in nitro.

Rubber comes in several formulations. I know that the yellow-orange latex rubber that comes on some stands will eat nitro, but I'm not sure about the rest. Probably some rubber formulations are terrible, some aren't.

I looked at a K&M A-frame stand with cork where it touches the guitar. The dealer's checklist said, "Nitro Lacquer Instruments: no."

But the body of the ad under the photo said, "The instruments are padded with natural cork, which is also safe for nitro lacquers."

Yeah. Makes no sense. Your guess is as good as mine.

Since all I have are nitro-finished instruments, I take the inelegant precaution of covering the parts of a stand that touch the guitar with cotton cloth. Sometimes I use cotton socks. Not the best look, but effective.

I use the String Swing units too, and haven’t had any issues with it marking up any of my guitars, PRSi ranging from 1999 through 2021. I “never say never” on it, as time is the truth-teller here, but have had no problems in several years of every-day-all-day contact.

I agree with the others that a non-reactive barrier would be the safest. I don’t know what would be best. I’ll be watching to see what everyone has experienced.

For stands, I still have Hercules. I am skeptical about recommending then because of how they have not held up in the past. They may be past those issues because they changed the type of plastic they use on them. I have one that is the new type of plastic and have been using it for probably 5 years and it is still doing well. They will not harm a nitro guitar. I have one hanging in it now. I would find one that states it is nitro safe and pay whatever it costs. It will be cheaper than fixing the finish on your guitar.

As I understand it, in 2022 PRS was finishing the DGT in nitro.

Rubber comes in several formulations. I know that the yellow-orange latex rubber that comes on some stands will eat nitro, but I'm not sure about the rest. Probably some rubber formulations are terrible, some aren't.

I looked at a K&M A-frame stand with cork where it touches the guitar. The dealer's checklist said, "Nitro Lacquer Instruments: no."

But the body of the ad under the photo said, "The instruments are padded with natural cork, which is also safe for nitro lacquers."

Yeah. Makes no sense. Your guess is as good as mine.

Since all I have are nitro-finished instruments, I take the inelegant precaution of covering the parts of a stand that touch the guitar with cotton cloth. Sometimes I use cotton socks. Not the best look, but effective.

I believe the DGT has been Nitro for a long time, but I’m sure there are experts that can correct me on that.

What I’ve read is that the solid/non porous rubbers are worst for nitro, like the cheaper rubber tubing lined stands. No problems for me with the Hercules wall hangers on my S2 594, Silver Sky, and satin S2. The Herc’s have more of a porous padding.

String Swings are Nitro safe. I only use them when I’m playing. After I’m done playing, back in the case my guitars go!

20230204_163701-jpg.932849

In the whole period of time I used different stands, but no one put any harm (contraindication at contact area of the stand to the guitar) on my guitars. Real cheap multi stands, cheap single stands. With the time and the more expensive guitars I changed to single ULTIMATE stands for a while (tripod design, pieces in use (the 513s) are depicted on the right upper corner in the second pic).
Obeying orders of my commanding general at home - she hated all the single stands standing around on several positions in our flat - I need to consider a solution which was either centralizing the guitars and suitable to the furniture in the designated room for storing the guitars.

I ordered this seven guitars stand made out of oak. The contact points are leather covered. Aswell no impact to the coat of guitars.

20230204_132931-jpg.932848

Back