2022 Nitro and guitar stand - delicate finish?

xxxadixxx

My PRS Guitars normally live in their cases, but my new 2022 Tremonti spent a couple of days (not months, not weeks, but days) on a Hercules stand and it seems like that was too much for the nitro finish. I understand my guitars will get some "personality" through use, but this seems a bit more delicate than I was expecting. It seems almost like the nitro is much thicker on the neck than the headstock and thus there is a thin transition to the headstock, which is a weak point where the guitar would rest on the stand. The treble side shows an obvious "chip" in the first photo below where the bass side has only a slight rough spot at the transition to the headstock veneer (barely noticeable in the second photo.

Dings and dents will happen over time and I am not going to lose any sleep over honest play wear. My question is more about expectations with the nitro finish. Is this an indication that a nitro finish is less robust and thus will age faster (i.e. offer less protection) than the old poly finish? I intend to leave my Tremonti out on the stand because it is a beautiful instrument and, more importantly, it is just so much fun to pickup and jam on some Drop-C riffs throughout the day. Is this just par for the course in leaving a nitro PRS out on a stand or should I be concerned about the actual quality of the nitro on this guitar?

52226927284_3ed4e48149_k.jpg

52226656436_065c8bd9c3_k.jpg

The PRS stand is advertised as nitro safe, as are the self locking Hercules wall hangers. I have one PRS stand, and everything else is Hercules wall hanger. I have never had an issue using them. However, a year, or so ago, I put covers on the hangers. A forum member's daughter made them. They're micro fiber towels cut, and sewed together so they slip over the hanger, one on each side. Kind of like a putter cover.

The PRS stand is advertised as nitro safe, as are the self locking Hercules wall hangers. I have one PRS stand, and everything else is Hercules wall hanger. I have never had an issue using them. However, a year, or so ago, I put covers on the hangers. A forum member's daughter made them. They're micro fiber towels cut, and sewed together so they slip over the hanger, one on each side. Kind of like a putter cover.

Ohhh, link to purchase those covers?

Even if it’s days that nitro finish should not give out that fast. I’ve had plenty of old school nitro finish fenders on hangers that never showed such wear. Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind a natural relic thru time. But days hanging? Yikes. Makes me pretty concern about long term prospects.

I could be wrong, but I thought the eventual result of nitro contacting rubber would be discoloration and/or sticky-ness. As others mentioned, the Hercules stands should be safe, and even if they weren't a couple of days is awfully quick. And chipping doesn't make sense as a result anyhow.
If those chips weren't apparent when you first got it, I can only think that they were lurking flaws that became worse with the time/exposure/temperature, and nothing to do with the stand itself.
Maybe contact the PTC and see what they have to say - if you bought it new, they should address it under warranty, I'd think

I could be wrong, but I thought the eventual result of nitro contacting rubber would be discoloration and/or sticky-ness. As others mentioned, the Hercules stands should be safe, and even if they weren't a couple of days is awfully quick. And chipping doesn't make sense as a result anyhow.
If those chips weren't apparent when you first got it, I can only think that they were lurking flaws that became worse with the time/exposure/temperature, and nothing to do with the stand itself.
Maybe contact the PTC and see what they have to say - if you bought it new, they should address it under warranty, I'd think
Yes, I purchased it new and received it only last Wednesday. I went over it in detail when I changed the strings and set it up on Friday. Your suggestion about the PTC is helpful and that is my next stop. Thanks.

I am speechless right now. The PTC responded and says this is not a warranty issue and the they recommend I contact the dealer to return the guitar. My 2018 DC594 has been in the same stand for over a week without issue. My LTDs, several month. I understand the difference is this 2022 is a nitro finish but I find it amazing they are saying finish chipping after 3 days is not covered! Just amazing…. I have heard so many great things about PRS Customer Service over the years, that this one stings just a little bit.

Last edited:
I have a number of guitars with nitro finishes, including my 2020 Paul’s Guitar, sitting on Hercules stands and/or hanging from wall-hangers 24 hours a day except for when they are in use and have never had any finish damage occur.

Last edited:
I am speechless right now. The PTC responded and says this is not a warranty issue and the they recommend I contact the dealer to return the guitar. My 2018 DC594 has been in the same stand for over a week without issue. My LTDs, several month. I understand the difference is this 2022 is a nitro finish but I find it amazing they are saying finish chipping after 3 days is not covered! Just amazing…. I have heard so many great things about PRS Customer Service over the years, that this one stings just a little bit.
Wow, that sucks. Are they trying to say this is somehow your fault for "damaging" it? Doesn't make sense...
I guess you should try the dealer, although who knows what to expect at this point?

I believe that with a new guitar a warranty claim would likely be easier to get thru the dealer, I know it sucks but even if the warranty is denied and you love the guitar I would see what the cost to repair is and likely eat the expense but that's just me.
Be nice and persistent I'm sure it will get worked out.

The last pic almost looks like some form of gassing. The “ pits, holes,vents” are on the tip/ edge, perhaps from slight pooling fro being shot upside down. By “ shot”, I mean “ sprayed “. Jak3af3r, are you around?

I keep looking at this and magnifying it, maybe dinked in the store. It’s on the side instead of the “end/tip”…. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
I've had my nitro-finished Sliver Sky on a Hercules hanger for over a year, and my S2 Satin Nitro 22 for several years now, with no issues. I think this boils down to either an issue with the finish in the first place, or being put on a stand/hanger at the dealer. I'd return it to the dealer, get a new one there or somewhere else, and be done with it!

The last pic almost looks like some form of gassing. The “ pits, holes,vents” are on the tip/ edge, perhaps from slight pooling fro being shot upside down. By “ shot”, I mean “ sprayed “. Jak3af3r, are you around?

I keep looking at this and magnifying it, maybe dinked in the store. It’s on the side instead of the “end/tip”…. Hmmmmmmmmmm

To answer an original OP question. Yes, nitro is less "robust" than poly.

Given that it's new, I'd suspect the topcoat hasn't "cured." One of my builds, I got excited and put the hardware on too early and got deep impressions. I also had two crack but never flaking like that.

Back