S2 Singlecut vs Vela Semi-hollow?

sumitagarwal

I recently got my first PRS, an S2 Singlecut Satin that I'm really enjoying and now that I officially have been diagnosed with the PRS bug I'm thinking about PRS #2.

I am absolutely LUNATIC about this thin satin finish!! As I understand it, this is a true nitro satin finish on top of wood that has no grain filler, versus, say, the satin metallic nitro they were doing on the S2 594's (more like their regular Core nitro? Grain-filled wood and then I assume a poly coat before the nitro finish?).

This has me eyeing other Satin models, and as a tremolo incompetent that leaves the Vela.

How would folks compare the S2 Vela Semi-Hollow Satin to an S2 Singlecut Satin? I know they both have the same neck carve and are both whole-hog construction. It's difficult for me to resist messing with pickups, so the pickups and wiring are not a big factor albeit the Vela neck position may get me trying out mini humbuckers for the first time.

Then there's also the bridge difference, which I'm most curious about, and all the extra air in the body. I have a semi-hollow Heritage H-535 and I've got a hollow ES-175, but I'm guessing the Vela Semi-Hollow would actually more similar to my Singlecut than to either of those guitars (certainly in comfort and playability!!!).

The Singlecut nestles just unbelievably comfortably whether standing, or reclining on a couch, or whatever. Of the many many guitars I've had nothing else comes close to this comfort, and I never even thought that was important to me until I got it.

The Vela upper horn sticks out quite a bit, presumably to give it better balance with such a lightweight body. In various seated positions does that push up into the chest a bit for slightly less comfort?

The Singlecut nestles just unbelievably comfortably whether standing, or reclining on a couch, or whatever. Of the many many guitars I've had nothing else comes close to this comfort, and I never even thought that was important to me until I got it.

The Vela upper horn sticks out quite a bit, presumably to give it better balance with such a lightweight body. In various seated positions does that push up into the chest a bit for slightly less comfort?
I don’t notice it all. The Vela is the most comfortable guitar I own.

From everything I've seen seems like people are ergonomically super happy with the Velas.

What about acoustically versus an all-hog Singlecut, before factoring electronics?

I have a Satin Vela and have been eyeing a Satin S2 single cut if that helps! Velas are magic!
The Satin S2 Singlecut is basically Sully from Monsters Inc.

The thing is a monster but crazy cozy in a way I never knew a guitar could be. The rote comparison I keep coming back to is it's like the best pair of broken in blue jeans. The body bevels and lack of top carve also place my picking hand at an ideal location for more varied hybrid picking technique. Completely unintentionally I play this guitar with more creative right-hand technique than my other guitars.

I have a satin vela semihollow. It's amazing. It was my first PRS and lead me down the wormhole very quickly

I have an S2 single cut mccarty, but I suppose aside from body shape/control layout it doesn't have much else in common with the satin single cut.

I reach my 594 a bit mre than I do for my vela, but I think between the two guitars you are specifically asking I'd go with the vela over the sc

Back