Considering PRS semi-hollow: CE Satin or Vela?

Oh hey, now this is interesting. You didn't need to route any wood for the mounting wars on the baseplate?

If you would describe the difference between the bridges how would you describe them? They're both brass where they touch the strings, and I guess the rest of the wraparound is aluminum versus steel and of course different number of components, etc.

I've had Teles and wraparound guitars, but not at the same time and regardless the rest of the construction has been wildly different too (bolt vs set, maple and alder vs mahogany)

No routing needed as long as the pickguard is cut correctly (the edge of hole for the neck pickup that’s furthest from the fretboard end must be the same distance from the fretboard end as the stock pickguard, making the edge that’s closest to the fretboard end closer than on the stock pickguard).

I’m basing my opinion of top-loading bridges on teles, where they add a different sort of mojo. Something in the highs, like it adds a certain “airiness” to the tone (which makes it sound more “vintage” to my ear) and also a slinkier feel. Now that you’ve got me thinking about it, I’m not sure the difference would be the same with a wraparound bridge, but I’d bet money it would sound different in a different way. Like I said, I’m a fan of wraparound bridges, so it’s not as if I just don’t like them. I just love the Vela bridge (probably because I’ve always been a Tele guy) and I think it’s a brilliantly designed take on a Tele-style bridge and it’s one of the main things that make the Vela the Vela.

That's such an awesome matched pair! Yea, if it were possible I would have kept those two together, almost like a korina Explorer and Flying V.

While I've usually preferred the sound of mahogany, lately I've been coming around to appreciating that maple necks move less in the wild temperature and humidity swings of NYC living.

Since I'm really looking for a superlative "around the house guitar", did you find a volume difference between the two?
I do remember being surprised how loud the vela was unplugged, so I believe it was louder than the CE24 but I don’t remember by how much.

I can’t say I’ve noticed a stability difference between neck woods on PRS guitars. I’ve owned plenty of mahogany and maple PRS necks and they’ve all been solid during the summer and northeast Ohio winters. Currently I have 4 with maple necks and one with a mahogany neck so I clearly prefer maple necks.

I do remember being surprised how loud the vela was unplugged, so I believe it was louder than the CE24 but I don’t remember by how much.

I can’t say I’ve noticed a stability difference between neck woods on PRS guitars. I’ve owned plenty of mahogany and maple PRS necks and they’ve all been solid during the summer and northeast Ohio winters. Currently I have 4 with maple necks and one with a mahogany neck so I clearly prefer maple necks.
Thanks for all the guidance! Intuitively I'd assume a glued neck will transfer more than a bolt neck, and that a tremolo will absorb some sound (resulting in different timbre as well, which may be desirable)

How set are you on the price range? A semi-hollow CE24 will set you back about $2800. If you can pony up another $500 you can get something like this https://reverb.com/item/73176018-20...emi-hollow-charcoal-wrap-burst-with-hard-case

If you can shell out a bit more for a used Special Semi Hollow or a used Custom 24 semi-hollow then that would be the way to go. If not then yeah, CE24 semi hollow is really cool.

How set are you on the price range? A semi-hollow CE24 will set you back about $2800. If you can pony up another $500 you can get something like this https://reverb.com/item/73176018-20...emi-hollow-charcoal-wrap-burst-with-hard-case

If you can shell out a bit more for a used Special Semi Hollow or a used Custom 24 semi-hollow then that would be the way to go. If not then yeah, CE24 semi hollow is really cool.

Budget is an artificial construct. I've never spent that kind of money on a guitar, but I have a few guitars here in the $2,000+ range. However, the two I'm playing most were $410 and $650, with the $410 being #1 at the moment.

Not a perfect analogy but once you get to those price levels it's a little like springing for a Rolls Ghost (what my next door neighbor drives) over a nice BMW M5 (what I drive). The Ghost is inarguably nicer, but I feel you need to be a certain kind of person to appreciate it. My neighbor is that kind of person, so she loves it, but I'm not sure I could love it in the same way so my M5 gets by just fine.

But more specifically to those good suggestions: I prefer fixed bridges, and if I'm spending the kind of money where it's available, full-nitro finishes.

Back