DGT Finish Strength

Monahan

So it's been six-months since I took delivery of my '23 core DGT, and something occurred to me while playing this evening: the nitro finish they are using on these feels much tougher than other nitro finishes-- say from Gibson or Fender.

On the others, after six-months I'll begin to see wear on the back of the neck, mostly in the form of slight discoloration. Then as time goes on more and more discoloration until little bits of the bare wood start to become visible (usually in the span of a few years). However, the finish on my DGT looks as fresh as it was on day one.

The finish is called "CAB" in some places, and "High Gloss Nitro" in others (i.e. Product Page on the PRS website).

All this got me wondering if these finishes will eventually wear like traditional nitro, or be more like poly finishes...?

The things that run through my mind late in the evening LOL!

My 59/09 has a thin satin nitro finish (non-gloss) and faded a lot over the last 14 years. All my other PRS with the poly finishes have not faded at all. I think a lot of the fading / wear depends on guitar color, sun exposure, and how much use the guitar gets. I have a used ’23 DGT on the way and will be interested to know what the finish is.

So it's been six-months since I took delivery of my '23 core DGT, and something occurred to me while playing this evening: the nitro finish they are using on these feels much tougher than other nitro finishes-- say from Gibson or Fender.
It's a bit different formulation than the stuff most other manufacturers use, and more like what they use on the Private Stocks. It used to be called "Shatter-hard Nitro" on PS models. I have this finish on all of my guitars (4 are PS), and my oldest is now ten years old. No wear. At all.

As a long time Gibson player in the past who always hated the problems with Gibson nitro finishes, in comparison the PRS' don't get sticky in humid weather, have a harder finish, etc.; these are wonderful things!

I do keep my guitars cased to buffer temperature and humidity changes, and there's been no cracking/checking, either (I do let them acclimate to indoor temperature if I got out with one in winter before opening the case - I don't know if they'd crack or check if I didn't do that, but it seems a sensible precaution).

Collings has used a similar finish on their guitars, and I've had a couple of their acoustics. Same kind of deal.

On the others, after six-months I'll begin to see wear on the back of the neck, mostly in the form of slight discoloration. Then as time goes on more and more discoloration until little bits of the bare wood start to become visible (usually in the span of a few years). However, the finish on my DGT looks as fresh as it was on day one.

The finish is called "CAB" in some places, and "High Gloss Nitro" in others (i.e. Product Page on the PRS website).

All this got me wondering if these finishes will eventually wear like traditional nitro, or be more like poly finishes...?

The things that run through my mind late in the evening LOL!

The DGT doesn’t have the CAB finish like the rest of the core line. It’s just nitro.

The DGT doesn’t have the CAB finish like the rest of the core line. It’s just nitro.
I don't think that is accurate. I have had three of the recent DGTs since the change and one of them (an early 2020) had flaking on the neck. I talked to tech support about options as it was used.

It had the nitro over CAB finish.

The very early DGTs were only ones that were just nitro in 2008.

I actually think PRS typically has issues when they roll out a new process. Had a 2012 V12 DGT and it was a kind of a mess. They were even taking them back in to work on for free if you wanted.

The new nitro over CAB seems to be figured out now. I have a 2022 DGT and it is fine.

IMO these are the best DGTs they have made with the pickup tuning.

I don't think that is accurate. I have had three of the recent DGTs since the change and one of them (an early 2020) had flaking on the neck. I talked to tech support about options as it was used.

It had the nitro over CAB finish.

The very early DGTs were only ones that were just nitro in 2008.

I actually think PRS typically has issues when they roll out a new process. Had a 2012 V12 DGT and it was a kind of a mess. They were even taking them back in to work on for free if you wanted.

The new nitro over CAB seems to be figured out now. I have a 2022 DGT and it is fine.

IMO these are the best DGTs they have made with the pickup tuning.
Incorrect.

My 22 DGT had finish issues out of the gate. I posted about it here. Sent it back to PTC and they fixed it, but it's happening again. They said if it happened again, the entire guitar would have to be refinished. I'm not interested in losing the guitar for that long. It's very minor, you can't see it, only feel it, but it shouldn't happen on a $5000 guitar. I'd prefer it were poly.

My 22 DGT had finish issues out of the gate. I posted about it here. Sent it back to PTC and they fixed it, but it's happening again. They said if it happened again, the entire guitar would have to be refinished. I'm not interested in losing the guitar for that long. It's very minor, you can't see it, only feel it, but it shouldn't happen on a $5000 guitar. I'd prefer it were poly.
I would give serous consideration to having it refinished by PRS. It will be worth it. The guitar will come back looking like a brand new guitar and it will hold up. They refinished one of mine a couple of years ago and I am very happy with the results. It was worth the wait.

SO... my 22 DGT is apparently Nitro over CAB, which is what PRS says all the Core models were starting sometime in 2019. The only thing that matters in that statement is the "nitro", I guess. Frankly it seems silly to be putting nitro OVER a plastic (which is what the CAB is; catalyzed acrylic)... I guess "vintage guys" can still prefer the FEEL of nitro, but they aren't actually getting any of the alleged "benefits" of nitro. It seems silly to me. It's just a less durable outer layer (over a very durable inner layer) on a $5000 guitar. Makes no sense, other than trying to appeal to "vintage people's" sensibilities.

I also think, with THIS brand and at THIS price point, especially with THIS brand's amazing woods and finishes, people aren't looking for their PRS to "naturally relic"... they want them to look new. They aren't Fender bolt-ons or Gibsons. They are their own thing. While I'm sure there are a few forum members who like their PRS' beat up, 99.9% of the PRS buying public does not.... again: especially when paying more for it than their first car (I'm older lol, my first -used- car cost me $2400.)

SO... my 22 DGT is apparently Nitro over CAB, which is what PRS says all the Core models were starting sometime in 2019. The only thing that matters in that statement is the "nitro", I guess. Frankly it seems silly to be putting nitro OVER a plastic (which is what the CAB is; catalyzed acrylic)... I guess "vintage guys" can still prefer the FEEL of nitro, but they aren't actually getting any of the alleged "benefits" of nitro. It seems silly to me. It's just a less durable outer layer (over a very durable inner layer) on a $5000 guitar. Makes no sense, other than trying to appeal to "vintage people's" sensibilities.

I also think, with THIS brand and at THIS price point, especially with THIS brand's amazing woods and finishes, people aren't looking for their PRS to "naturally relic"... they want them to look new. They aren't Fender bolt-ons or Gibsons. They are their own thing. While I'm sure there are a few forum members who like their PRS' beat up, 99.9% of the PRS buying public does not.... again: especially when paying more for it than their first car (I'm older lol, my first -used- car cost me $2400.)
Ultimately, I love the current crop of PRS guitars and believe that the company is genuinely trying to improve it's product-- including the finishes.

Having a nitro final finish should make repairs to it easier (repairing poly can be a PIA). From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense for PRS to highlight "nitro" as that's very much in vogue these days.

The finish on my old Carvin SC90 is a THICK poly, and after years spent traveling around the world with me it's acquired quite a bit of clowning at the bottom of the guitar... I suspect it would be easier to repair had that top coat been nitro rather than poly-- but the guitar still sounds & plays great.

Either way, PRS having a nitro top coat does means having less poly-- and perhaps by extension less (fewer?) plasticizers... which at the very least does result in a different tactile feel to the finish.

None of this makes a difference to the audience, except perhaps to fellow guitar nerds who have strong opinions and sharp eyesight LOL!

If someone really wants to avoid poly on a PRS, they might consider the "S2 Standard Satin" models-- looks like those skip the grain filler and go straight to the nitro spray; that's actually a very appealing feature to me (for the tactile feel above anything else), as I've been eyeing one of the new Vela's :D

I completely agree with you.

I’ve read the comments saying their Nitro finishes are perfect and not sticky, but my experience is different. On my McCarty S2, in less than a month there were finish cracks appearing and bare wood on the headstock that was rubbed off by contact with the fabric in the gig bag. I am very particular with temp/humidity, and the guitar never left the studio. It’s always kept in case. Also, it’s very sticky. The neck feels gross after a couple playing sessions and needs to be cleaned. With the stickiness, it’s a fingerprint and dust magnet. I can’t believe the amount of dust that collects on it while in use, also requiring cleaning to remove. It doesn’t easily wipe off.

But maybe my experience is different. I know I personally would prefer the old poly finish.

I’ve read the comments saying their Nitro finishes are perfect and not sticky, but my experience is different. On my McCarty S2, in less than a month there were finish cracks appearing and bare wood on the headstock that was rubbed off by contact with the fabric in the gig bag. I am very particular with temp/humidity, and the guitar never left the studio. It’s always kept in case. Also, it’s very sticky. The neck feels gross after a couple playing sessions and needs to be cleaned. With the stickiness, it’s a fingerprint and dust magnet. I can’t believe the amount of dust that collects on it while in use, also requiring cleaning to remove. It doesn’t easily wipe off.

But maybe my experience is different. I know I personally would prefer the old poly finish.

If my DGT were just poly, with a satin finish neck, that would be perfection. If the day comes when I KNOW I'm gonna' keep it forever, I will satin the neck myself.

If you bought McCarty new, you may want to reach out to PRS customer support. I don't think that is a normal experience with their finishes. I have a few PRS guitars that have nitro finishes that span different years from 2009 to 2023. I have not had an issue with any of them feeling sticky, so far.

If you bought McCarty new, you may want to reach out to PRS customer support. I don't think that is a normal experience with their finishes. I have a few PRS guitars that have nitro finishes that span different years from 2009 to 2023. I have not had an issue with any of them feeling sticky, so far.
It was new, and I no longer have the guitar. It was a 2023 model. I’ve seen other comments online about the nitro being sticky, so I’m not alone. I’ve seen comments saying it isn’t. So I don’t know what’s going on. Maybe I just got a bad guitar, or maybe there was a bad batch, a change in formulation, or something. I did not like it though. I have other nitro guitars and none of them felt or acted like this one.

Back