Ptc refinishes. Do they remove all finish?

pwrmac7600

What I specifically mean is. If you were getting a refinish but it was a burst so the back and neck were staying black, would they remove the finish on the neck and back since the older prs have poly finishes and the newer have nitro? Or would you end up with a half poly half nitro finish. Lol

What I specifically mean is. If you were getting a refinish but it was a burst so the back and neck were staying black, would they remove the finish on the neck and back since the older prs have poly finishes and the newer have nitro? Or would you end up with a half poly half nitro finish. Lol
Generally, yes, they would. It’s the only way to ensure finish quality and durability. Mixing finish systems is a no-no.

I had my 20th Anniversary SC refinished under warranty because the poly was forming a haze in several places. PRS took a while to get it completed (as expected), and it turned out great. They definitely refinish he whole guitar, and I have to say I like the feel of the nitro over the poly on that specific guitar.

I had my 20th Anniversary SC refinished under warranty because the poly was forming a haze in several places. PRS took a while to get it completed (as expected), and it turned out great. They definitely refinish he whole guitar, and I have to say I like the feel of the nitro over the poly on that specific guitar.
Yah same issue with mine. Cloudy finish, and it's a gray black finish so it's a mess. They will only refinish in existing core colors so I am obsessing over what color to go with.

I’m curious that you got an option in color. I was told that they only restore to the original color of the guitar, updated to the nitro finish. Still happy with how it came out, just interested in when they changed the policy.

If you like gray black, they currently have it. For me, charcoal is similar and shows the guitars finish better. I’d go that route.

I’m curious that you got an option in color. I was told that they only restore to the original color of the guitar, updated to the nitro finish. Still happy with how it came out, just interested in when they changed the policy.

If you like gray black, they currently have it. For me, charcoal is similar and shows the guitars finish better. I’d go that route.
I had the same thought. I was thinking either charcoal or the charcoal burst. The top is not a 10 top. So I know it's not going to look as nice as some others but... yeah I think during covid they may have only been doing refinishes in the same color, but now it's opened up. Also thinking about maybe just going solid black.

I had one that had a V12 finish that developed some cloudy spots that were spreading. They refinished it for me a couple of years ago. It is now in a nitro finish. The guitar is the same color. It is a custom color for this model of guitar. They didn't even talk to me about color, they just stayed with the color they made it the first time around. I may have chose a different color if that was an option. I know that there would only be certain colors I could go with based on the stain they used for the original color. The new color would have to coordinate with the original or cover it up.

Back