UPDATE: Mr.P's Extended Visit To Stevensville

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
As some of you know, I sent my P22 (Mr.P) to the PTC last August after his mis-adventure during our July 4th gig. I sent a note last week to the PTC just checking in, and got this reply from Bindu today. We goin' all Nitro baby!

proxy
Bindu (PRS Guitars)
Jan 24, 2024, 12:01 EST
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the message. Your guitar has been put back through the refinish process. Halfway through refinishing your guitar we had an update on the current finish and instead of presenting you with the older formula we are refinishing the guitar in the latest Nitro formula which provides the best tone. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Odd. I had the PTC trginish a Custom 24 in early 2021, so 3 years. At that time my only option was nitro, since the factory had fully transitioned from poly to nitro. I preferred poly, but nitro was the only option. This suggests they have tweaked their nitro formula…I wonder what the issue was either previous finish system (it’s not old-school nitro like they use on some Private Stock).

Odd. I had the PTC trginish a Custom 24 in early 2021, so 3 years. At that time my only option was nitro, since the factory had fully transitioned from poly to nitro. I preferred poly, but nitro was the only option. This suggests they have tweaked their nitro formula…I wonder what the issue was either previous finish system (it’s not old-school nitro like they use on some Private Stock).
I bet that they made it more durable. My 2020 Custom dings, if you look at it funny. Personally, no anger. I love my guitar the way it is

I bet that they made it more durable. My 2020 Custom dings, if you look at it funny. Personally, no anger. I love my guitar the way it is
Supposedly, the nitro formulation was designed to be more durable than a plain nitro finishes. Perhaps they responded to complaints or warranty claims?

Supposedly, the nitro formulation was designed to be more durable than a plain nitro finishes. Perhaps they responded to complaints or warranty claims?
That would be my guess, maybe addressing the sticky feel some people are complaining about (never was my issue, perhaps area/humidity dependant). Like I said above, I like the finish on my guitar. It's hair-thin and hard, and the guitar resonates like a madman.

Came in from doing a bunch of work outside, and the email I've been waiting for was here! Mr.P's stay in Stevensville is coming to a close. The re-finish is complete, and the piezo was still functional! (One wire was loose, not bad from hanging over the rail above the lake by the cable!). I'll call them tomorrow with debit card info, and he'll be making his way back to Tennessee. The question now is, can he un-seat Jade, who has taken his place for all these months?

Can I get a link to the backstory?

Got an email I've been waiting on for a while this afternoon. As maybe 2 or 3 of you might remember, this guitar, "Mr.P," suffered some serious mis-adventure this past July 4th. We were playing our annual private gig on Fort Loudon Lake, and while the weather was perfect for a good bit, a mini-hurricane arrived and caused mass chaos! We were playing under some portable tents that had been wrapped to prevent them from blowing away. The wrap acted like a giant sail and the tents all the sudden were picked up and blown toward the east side of the double decker dock we were on. I had a double guitar stand close to the railing, and they got snagged by the tent. The Green Monster (Strat) did a faceplant and stayed on the deck (barely), but Mr.P went OVER the railing. The angled jack in the piezo miraculously held, keeping the guitar from falling into a boat docked next to the decking, about 18 feet down! Several good sized chunks were gouged out of the finish.
I contacted the PRS PTC department a few days later, and went through the steps to see if I could send it back to the factory for a re-finish and piezo repair if needed. That took a couple of weeks for approval, and I UPS'd it to Stevensville, MD in August. So now we're almost at the end of this journey. I'll get them payment info tomorrow and they will ship it back to Tennessee. It will look fantastic, as well as play like a good PRS does. There was one wire burned through in the piezo. I'm guessing that was from the sudden jolt, but they didn't have to replace the piezo.
ROCK & ROLL!!!

Came in from doing a bunch of work outside, and the email I've been waiting for was here! Mr.P's stay in Stevensville is coming to a close. The re-finish is complete, and the piezo was still functional! (One wire was loose, not bad from hanging over the rail above the lake by the cable!). I'll call them tomorrow with debit card info, and he'll be making his way back to Tennessee. The question now is, can he un-seat Jade, who has taken his place for all these months?
Awesome!

Back