Intro and the perfect PRS trio

pedalhead2

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here and I like to introduce myself as well as the opinion of the community.

I have be playing for a few decades now for the stress relief it brings. After years of trying different major Fender and Gibson guitars and not finding any that I connected with for long, I picked up a 20yr Hollowbody I. It has changed things for me. Just so enjoyable to play. This lead to a beat up DGT. Fantastic guitar and the first one I can easily play standing without and bunch adjustments to strap height.

So the question:
If you had an old HBI and DGT, what would be your 3 PRS guitar solution to the covering the most tones with 3 guitars?
I have my opinions and have been thinking SAS, CE, or Johnny Hiland. But I wonder what you all think bc I suspect many of you have much more knowledge about the PRS catalogue than I do.

Pdlhd

Welcome to the board! What other genres do you play or are there capabilities you need from the instrument for songwriting? If you like country I would say NF53 but if you want to cover metal I would pick something different. Are you trying to write songs in different tunings? Maybe a 7 string or baritone. It sounds like you’re leaning towards something with snap based on what you listed. I would suggest looking at NF53 (fixed bridge), fiore (2 point tremolo), CE/silver sky and/or the special semihollow. The fiore and special semihollow have the most pickup combinations.

A Special is the swiss army knife of tone , 12 combo's . If you want twang get a maple neck .
yzep4qk0iwe3ouqp79mt.jpg

Of course no PRS collection is complete without a Soapy, and the Triple fits the bill , DGT neck carve and delicious tone.
onbsjekqqufgncpwmera.jpg

Thanks for the reply.
I was actually asking what people would do for themselves if they had the same guitars as much as asking advice. One part ice breaker and one curiosity about what creative solutions people might have.

As for myself, I can still vividly remember being a little kid and hearing Andy Summers on the radio. Mesmerized by the clarity and punch, I tend towards his and Gilmour’s music. The NF53 is a great recommendation. I like my PRS’s old, imperfect, and/or beat for some reason. May take another few years before NF53’s hit the used market that have been well loved.

Welcome aboard!

I don't know all the details about every model but I think that you might be onto something with the SAS. Besides that, I think a single cut might fit the bill perfectly, but don't take my word for it. Let's see what the others have to say since many of them are more knowledgeable than I am.

A Special is the swiss army knife of tone , 12 combo's . If you want twang get a maple neck .
yzep4qk0iwe3ouqp79mt.jpg

Of course no PRS collection is complete without a Soapy, and the Triple fits the bill , DGT neck carve and delicious tone.
onbsjekqqufgncpwmera.jpg
The triple soapbar has a DGT neck? That’s awesome! That just went higher on the interest list!

Welcome!!! I can't answer your question directly, because it's really a "you thing", but I will say that adding an SAS to my HBII and my Cu24 pretty much rounded out the "tones I want to have" trifecta of guitars. No offense to my Silver Sky ;)

Welcome pedalhead2! My personal preference with what you have would be to go with a soapy!! I would not insist on a triple, but the soapies are just such a different tone that to really fill in gaps, I think that would be be the greatest departure/fill. I am very much looking forward to adding a Vela to my collection after having played one in August '22! I strummed it and was putting it back on the rack when the salesman said "plug that thing in before you put it down". I fired up and amp, plugged it in and was instantly wowed! Great sounding axe IMO!!!

Thanks for the reply.
I was actually asking what people would do for themselves if they had the same guitars as much as asking advice. One part ice breaker and one curiosity about what creative solutions people might have.

As for myself, I can still vividly remember being a little kid and hearing Andy Summers on the radio. Mesmerized by the clarity and punch, I tend towards his and Gilmour’s music. The NF53 is a great recommendation. I like my PRS’s old, imperfect, and/or beat for some reason. May take another few years before NF53’s hit the used market that have been well loved.
Ah gotcha! I grew up a metal head. I’ve mellowed out over the years but if I had to round out the trio you started I would grab a Tremonti with the tremolo up route. A beat up dog hair NF53 would look awesome, cheers

Welcome!!! I can't answer your question directly, because it's really a "you thing", but I will say that adding an SAS to my HBII and my Cu24 pretty much rounded out the "tones I want to have" trifecta of guitars. No offense to my Silver Sky ;)
Do you have the original style SAS (HSH) or the triple narrowfield SAS?

Looks like a lot recommendations for a three pick up. I really like my SSH and MEV. No experience with the others.

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here and I like to introduce myself as well as the opinion of the community.

I have be playing for a few decades now for the stress relief it brings. After years of trying different major Fender and Gibson guitars and not finding any that I connected with for long, I picked up a 20yr Hollowbody I. It has changed things for me. Just so enjoyable to play. This lead to a beat up DGT. Fantastic guitar and the first one I can easily play standing without and bunch adjustments to strap height.

So the question:
If you had an old HBI and DGT, what would be your 3 PRS guitar solution to the covering the most tones with 3 guitars?
I have my opinions and have been thinking SAS, CE, or Johnny Hiland. But I wonder what you all think bc I suspect many of you have much more knowledge about the PRS catalogue than I do.

Pdlhd

I do have a HB1 and a DGT :)
# 3 to complement those 2
NF 3
Fiore
Silver Sky
509 / 513
NF53
Santana II or Retro
Does not matter where you start it will not be your last :)

I do have a HB1 and a DGT :)
# 3 to complement those 2
NF 3
Fiore
Silver Sky
509 / 513
NF53
Santana II or Retro
Does not matter where you start it will not be your last :)
Lol. True.

Would love to check out a 509/513 someday.

Thanks everyone for your input and insight.

I had what felt like too many guitars last summer and have been whittling down. Trying to find the right ones that are irreplaceable. The benefit of PRS is they well balanced physically and sonically. Then it becomes the quest to find the right ones. Finding 2 so quickly seems fortunate. We will see how the hunt for the third goes.

Back