NAD - sorry, no one *needs* a 100 watt amp anymore!!!

andy474x

Knows the Drill
But does that mean they still buy them?

53538844591_be97f4b6a1_k.jpg

Heck yeah!

I resisted the gravitational pull as long as I could. Seriously, this amp weighs enough to have its own gravity field! Definitely the biggest, beefiest PRS amp I've ever seen. Usually I'm a fan of how compact and light PRS amps are, but I'm glad they gave this one some room to breathe; I think spreading things out helps it to stay nice and quiet - I'm talking noise floor, of course! With a 3 channel, high gain amp, it's just a good idea.

I had intended to wait a while and see if revisions needed to be done to hammer out any noise issues, but I came across this specific head in the shop a handful of times, and it was always quiet as a church mouse. My recent HDRX 20 is very quiet as well - I think PRS has figured out some of the noise issues that plagued their earlier imports.

What really drew me to this was actually the D-style middle channel. I didn't have high expectations for it, as I just never thought that PRS' attempts at Dumble tone came out very smooth. BIG surprise on this amp!!! Really nice gain range and refined tone that I immediately loved when I plugged in. I'll get into that a little more below.

The clean channel has noticeably more chime than the MT15; the lead channel is very much the same sound as the MT15. I'll probably post a more detailed review after a little more time with the amp, since there hasn't been much of that around here yet. Let's just lust over some photos in the meantime.

53537966192_876041666b_k.jpg

Yikes, running out of wall here!
53537966152_bbf6f98816_k.jpg

The deep dive on the middle channel: I have a conspiracy theory, which is that the Sonzera has borrowed the D style channel from two artist signature amps in the PRS line. The original Sonzera came out around the same time as the JMOD amp, which was itself supposed to be a D-style in some ways. I actually heard a lot of similarity between the drive sounds on the two amps, namely that they could get spitty and raspy for a lot of players, myself included in the case of the Sonzera despite several attempts at liking it in the shop. Don't get me wrong, John Mayer made the JMOD sound awesome, and I heard some Strat players get great tone from the Sonzera, but not everyone did in either case.

The new Sonzera 20 came out not too long ago, and certainly within the window where the MT100 overdrive channel was hammered out. I played them side by side when I picked up the MT100, and they sound very similar on the drive channels. Now, please excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil hat.

Back to reality, I'll end with this:
53539266115_edbd00fb56_k.jpg

Congrats On The New Head! I Hope You Have A Ton Of Fun With It And Get Some Glorious Tones From It!!

Since When Does "Need" Ever Fit Into The Equation? :)
For me, the answer is “when one is getting near retirement and planning both a move, and lots of travel, when he retires.”

3 years after we’ve settled in to the new home and got the first waves (and methods) of travel out of the way, I might be back on the active hunt. But for example, if we get a motor home and end up traveling for months at a time, I probably won’t be spending thousands of dollars on amps.

For me, the answer is “when one is getting near retirement and planning both a move, and lots of travel, when he retires.”

3 years after we’ve settled in to the new home and got the first waves (and methods) of travel out of the way, I might be back on the active hunt. But for example, if we get a motor home and end up traveling for months at a time, I probably won’t be spending thousands of dollars on amps.
You Won't Be Able To...All Disposable Income Will Be Going To A Different Type Of GAS. ;)

You Won't Be Able To...All Disposable Income Will Be Going To A Different Type Of GAS. ;)
Oh I know. Small models (the size we want) start at $125K, and get 7mpg. I want a Lund. Wife wants a motor home. She deserves whatever she wants and I'll do what I can to make her wishes happen. I keep reminding her that we trade her truck for a 2500HD and we can pull our 30 foot camper (that's only 3 years old and paid off) anywhere. A lot of it has to do with the market the next few years. If business was as good as it was a few years ago, no question we'd be getting a motor home. And a Lund! LOL But you never know what's coming in my business. I'd be happy to make half this year what I made in 20 and 21, but last year was way below average for me, so we just have to see how the next couple years play out. And of course, I have to get this in every time this discussion is brought up, if not for the 50% inflation we've had in the last couple years, we would have had whatever we wanted at retirement. :mad:

Oh I know. Small models (the size we want) start at $125K, and get 7mpg. I want a Lund. Wife wants a motor home. She deserves whatever she wants and I'll do what I can to make her wishes happen. I keep reminding her that we trade her truck for a 2500HD and we can pull our 30 foot camper (that's only 3 years old and paid off) anywhere. A lot of it has to do with the market the next few years. If business was as good as it was a few years ago, no question we'd be getting a motor home. And a Lund! LOL But you never know what's coming in my business. I'd be happy to make half this year what I made in 20 and 21, but last year was way below average for me, so we just have to see how the next couple years play out. And of course, I have to get this in every time this discussion is brought up, if not for the 50% inflation we've had in the last couple years, we would have had whatever we wanted at retirement. :mad:
Orange Man Bad Though...

The sad thing is, they're all bad! Orange man had a great point with "drain the swamp" but shy of civil war, it doesn't seem possible.

It's an equal-opportunity sh*t-show :mad:

Build a swamp, and sure enough a population of cunning, predatory, amoral (and yes, orange) monsters will move in, then spend their every waking moment trying to bite everything else's 'nads off.

Plus: I don't think that the objective of draining the original swamp should ever be to replace it with a new one that you built yourself.

Last edited:
Back