Ever have a day when you just hate the sound coming out of your amp?

JasonE

I bought a parametric EQ pedal and was testing it out through one of my amps. I was running some OD pedals into it and using it to adjust the midrange of the pedals. I was really not liking the sound of any of the OD pedals through this particular amp. What is funny is that this happens to me with this amp occasionally. The amp has drive it in and I like the sound of that. If I set one channel up as a clean channel then run an OD pedal into it I get varying results and some days I can't stand it. I don't have this issue with the other amp I typically use. It is a clean only amp and has been a great pedal platform for me.

What amp? What pedals?

I had days like this with the Mark V... I know... "you don't need pedals with a Mark V!" Well, I could never get a JCM800 type sound from it that I was pleased with. Some days I liked my tone FAR better with my modified BSIAB build than anything I could get out of the amp. Other days, it didn't seem to like that or OCD. Barber Direct Drive was pretty good, but is GREAT with every other amp.

But most of my amps ROCK pedals. The Archon sounds great using it's clean channel with any number of OD and distortion pedals I have, and so does the Bogner ATMA. The Mesa TA killed with pedals. The Marks V and V25, didn't love many pedals. Oh, and the Mini Recto also did very well with pedals. My PRS H and Custom 50 both loved pedals. Of all the amps I've tried, my Mark V's were the pickiest amps on pedals, by far.

What amp? What pedals?

I had days like this with the Mark V... I know... "you don't need pedals with a Mark V!" Well, I could never get a JCM800 type sound from it that I was pleased with. Some days I liked my tone FAR better with my modified BSIAB build than anything I could get out of the amp. Other days, it didn't seem to like that or OCD. Barber Direct Drive was pretty good, but is GREAT with every other amp.

But most of my amps ROCK pedals. The Archon sounds great using it's clean channel with any number of OD and distortion pedals I have, and so does the Bogner ATMA. The Mesa TA killed with pedals. The Marks V and V25, didn't love many pedals. Oh, and the Mini Recto also did very well with pedals. My PRS H and Custom 50 both loved pedals. Of all the amps I've tried, my Mark V's were the pickiest amps on pedals, by far.
This particular time it happened to be a Wampler Euphoria and Keeley Muse that I had plugged into it. The amp is my Friedman Twin Sister. I have had these pedals plugged into it before and really liked what I was hearing. I don't know what was different this day. I have to run my pedals completely different with this amp than I do my other main amp. It doesn't need nearly the gain my other amp does and that is because my other amp is a clean only amp but is a good pedal platform. It was just a very non inspiring moment. I was actually testing out a new parametric EQ pedal and wanted to hear what I could affect in the mids of these pedals running it after them.

I have enough pedals that I should just set some up specifically for this amp and keep my main board setup for the other amp since that is the one I am used to using them with. I could honestly get away with only a couple of pedals with the TS.

I had days like this with the Mark V... I know... "you don't need pedals with a Mark V!" Well, I could never get a JCM800 type sound from it
I Don't Understand This And I See It All The Time. If A Person Wants The Specific Sound Of A Specific Amp Then Buy That Amp. Otherwise, You Are Most Likely Pissing In The Wind And Getting Wet.

I Don't Understand This And I See It All The Time. If A Person Wants The Specific Sound Of A Specific Amp Then Buy That Amp. Otherwise, You Are Most Likely Pissing In The Wind And Getting Wet.
However, in this case, we're talking about the amp billed as being able to do everything, and there is a channel in the amp designed to do "Marshall crunch." I didn't buy a Fender and try to make it sound like a Bogner. (Although those Bogner Red and Blue pedals ARE pretty good!) And I would have bought the Mark V for it's "boogie" channels even if they didn't claim to be able to do a M crunch. But this is not some hack posting "I'm so disappointed because I just can't make my Fender Acoustasonic sound exactly like my Triple Recto" post.

Sometimes yes but I’m usually forced to admit it’s me not the amp 😂
There is no question on this, it was definitely me.

@DreamTheaterRules I have been getting the itch to plug my Roadster in. I am sure that will make for an interesting day. The one Mesa amp I have and have ever owned seems to not be a super popular model, even though the Road King seems to be popular and isn't all that much different.

I’m wondering if the voltage and impedance of the electricity to your outlet is changing… I spent over 40 years working at a power plant and know the grid changes in voltage and impedance over time of day/night and load on the grid. Heavily loaded or lightly loaded sections of the grid tend to get the phase angle between voltage and current out of phase. This is known as VARS ( volt amperes reactive). Sometimes voltage leads current, sometimes it lags current. Our amps may be sensitive to the change in VARS. Voltage can also drift high and low depending on excess load or light loaded sections of the grid. California has this problem so badly that Tesla Power Walls were designed and sold to produce clean and regulated AC power from a battery driven inverter at your home or business. VanHalen loved his “brown sound” from purposely lowering the voltage to his amp with a Variac, a form of adjustable transformer. Something to consider…

I’m wondering if the voltage and impedance of the electricity to your outlet is changing… I spent over 40 years working at a power plant and know the grid changes in voltage and impedance over time of day/night and load on the grid. Heavily loaded or lightly loaded sections of the grid tend to get the phase angle between voltage and current out of phase. This is known as VARS ( volt amperes reactive). Sometimes voltage leads current, sometimes it lags current. Our amps may be sensitive to the change in VARS. Voltage can also drift high and low depending on excess load or light loaded sections of the grid. California has this problem so badly that Tesla Power Walls were designed and sold to produce clean and regulated AC power from a battery driven inverter at your home or business. VanHalen loved his “brown sound” from purposely lowering the voltage to his amp with a Variac, a form of adjustable transformer. Something to consider…
This is something I hadn't even thought about. I have been in this house for almost 9 years now. I have far more power interruptions these days than I ever had back when I first moved in here. I would say it has been a lot worse the last two years. This is something that could be happening. I have a power conditioner on my recording gear that shows the voltage. It is in the same room but on a different outlet. I may have to turn that on the next time this happens to see if that may be the case.

Yes. With every Mesa amp I ever owned.
I have a Mesa Roadster. I haven't played through it in a number of years now. There is about a 50% chance that the next time I play through it, I decide it is time to sell it. I had decided to sell it once before but the market was really bad for 100 watt amps. I had all sorts of people that wanted the cabinet. I told everyone that the only way the cabinet gets sold separately is if someone want to buy only the head. Then I will decide to either sell the cabinet or keep it.

However, in this case, we're talking about the amp billed as being able to do everything, and there is a channel in the amp designed to do "Marshall crunch." I didn't buy a Fender and try to make it sound like a Bogner. (Although those Bogner Red and Blue pedals ARE pretty good!) And I would have bought the Mark V for it's "boogie" channels even if they didn't claim to be able to do a M crunch. But this is not some hack posting "I'm so disappointed because I just can't make my Fender Acoustasonic sound exactly like my Triple Recto" post.
Sounds Like That Marketing Psycho Babble Got The Best Of You. ;) Winger Would Have Known Better. ;)

I Know It Isn't Some Hack Posting Their Frustrations Over A Mesa Amp Not Sounding Like A Marshall And Using Absurd Comparisons To Make Their Point. I Get It.

I wondered about this as well... I've never done hands on research to see what the power in my home is doing, but I've definitely heard about it in the guitar community.

Another pondering... is it possible the amount of crunch you're getting from the amp itself is changing the way the pedals sound? You mentioned that your TS is not as clean as your other amp, and if the amp is breaking up when the pedal hits it, especially different amounts on different days, that could be a factor.

My amps depend on the room or space.
Outside I use a Microphone.
Inside the Tweed Deluxes or Deluxe Reverb are plenty loud enough on their own.

My left ear has 35% hearing efficiency but starts to ring even worse in crowded restaurants or noisy venues.
My right ear makes up for it. I find that by the third set, aural fatigue sets in and my tone is annoying for me.

Last edited:
I only play straight into a DV Mark Jazz amp ... and I love it everyday ... cant believe how many years I chased a good clean sound from so many amps before finding this incredibly simple and inexpensive amp. I bought it after playing my 80s Spector into Mark Bass amp for years, which sounds perfect everytime. I realize this is nutso for most guys. Even still, its funny how some days on the Jazz I do different things with the three tone knobs to suit what I think sounds good that day. On some days ... I will put a EP Boost, Looking Glass, or Waza Blues Driver in the mix.

Last edited:
Back