Archon setup

Read774

Hi everyone, I have just purchased the archon 50 watt head and am loving the lead channel, it sounds fantastic. I was initially put off by the amp just having two channels and one being a clean channel that doesn't dirty up enough but in the UK there's a sale on the heads and it's been reduced from £999 to £699 so I decided to take a pop before the offer ended. I don't use the clean channel but need a rhythm and lead channel. I play in a melodic metal band and so need a rhythm and lead sound. I can get a great metal sound by scooping the mids and a perfect lead channel by adding the mids and adding more presence so that it punches through in a band situation however being a single channel amp I can only get one or the other. I'm interested to hear how people have worked around this on here and any recommendations on what's worked well for others. I'm running it through a 4x12 cab with two V30's and two GT12-75's in an X pattern. Thanks.

Probably the easiest solution would be an EQ pedal in the effects loop. The clean channel is also fantastic for pedals (I have MT amps, but extremely similar). Personally, for my lead tones I use a Wampler Tumnus -> Friedman Dirty Shirley -> amp, but, of course there are a million pedals out there!

Yes, that!

add an OD pedal that kicks the mids and presence up, and kick it on for solos.

If you’re tracking, just dial accordingly. If you’re playing live, find an OD that does what you want and you’re good.

Thanks I found an old ibanez jet driver lying around which I've dropped in and it's has a separate mid control on top of the traditional tone knob so I've given that a go. Whether it'll give me enough boost to get over the other guitarist is another thing! I've found a spark boost pedal that I used to have but it's Def not giving me the alleged 20db boost I was expecting, if actually anything major at all.

Probably the easiest solution would be an EQ pedal in the effects loop. The clean channel is also fantastic for pedals (I have MT amps, but extremely similar). Personally, for my lead tones I use a Wampler Tumnus -> Friedman Dirty Shirley -> amp, but, of course there are a million pedals out there!
Thanks I'll give that a go too. Best do some digging then and I'll check out those pedals you mentioned too.

Back