One (low-watt) Amp to Do-It-All ....

kdlp

...or at least MOST of it.

I'm located in Alaska and as such I have an 800 mile flight/trip to put ears on an amp. As a consequence, I do a lot of YouTube listening especially since I'm in the market for a low-watt (25 or less) amp that's versatile. I've been exploring Dr. Z, Fender DRRI, Freidman, etc. and then came across the Sonzera 20. By design it's exactly what I want. By sound, I can only judge by comparing it to others via YouTube vids. I have years of experience with Deluxe Reverb's and want the clean to be in the same spectrum. I realize with different power tubes they're going to have differences. I'm not as concerned with the dirty sounds as I can dirty it up with pedals, etc.

My questions are: Is the Sonzera (when clean) as good as the DR RI or Tonemaster clean?

And what's the reliability factor? It's a loooong way to anywhere from here to get it on a bench. I know there were some reverb tank issues and they appear to be resolved. Anything else?

Thanks for any help/advise on this...

kp

Hi KP!

The newer Sonzera 20 is a great sounding amp, and I think it’d be perfect for what you’re looking for, speaking generally. I can’t say exactly how it compares to a DRRI clean, haven’t tried them side by side. Do make sure that you get one of the newer/MKII versions, the drive channel is vastly improved.

Perhaps a little off topic, but the Mesa California Tweed goes from low watt up to 40 watts. I love the clean tone. Maybe not what you’re looking for, but maybe worth a look.

I did look at the Boogie-Mesa Cal series of amps. I just hear horror stories about Mesa reliability and I read that techs hate working on them. It just strikes me as a bad combination. The 2:20 combo was 1st on my list until I started asking around.

Thanks for the suggestion…. I can’t help but think I’m missing some other builders out there. A Canadian musician suggested I check out REVV. Still looking into that one…

Perhaps a little off topic, but the Mesa California Tweed goes from low watt up to 40 watts. I love the clean tone. Maybe not what you’re looking for, but maybe worth a look.

I did look at the Boogie-Mesa Cal series of amps. I just hear horror stories about Mesa reliability and I read that techs hate working on them. It just strikes me as a bad combination. The 2:20 combo was 1st on my list until I started asking around.

Thanks for the suggestion…. I can’t help but think I’m missing some other builders out there. A Canadian musician suggested I check out REVV. Still looking into that one…
The horror stories of Mesa amps are mostly just that, stories. At least as much so as any quality amp builder. Perhaps the newer Mesa/BooGibsons might be different, but Mesa has been a high quality, reliable amp company for decades. I’ve owned and played a lot of them since the 70s, without a failure. I own a California Tweed 4:40, and it’s a great little amp with a lot of flexibility. Mesa’s Fillmore series are also a great recent series. The Lone Star series have great Fender cleans.

Because it is so far to go for repairs for you, I’d say a quality amp build is worth the investment. But if you really dig the Deluxe Reverb, it’s a great amp. No reason to look further if the tone suits you!

My criteria:

Under $2k
Tube
Good to great clean channel
Front panel controls
12” speaker
Combo format preferred

So, PRS Sonzera - Fender Princeton or Deluxe Reverb - Mesa/Boogie 2:20 - REVV D5 - used Dr Z -

I’ve ruled out 5150 - Black star - Marshall - Vox
They are not the clean sound I’m after. I prefer the 6L6 / 6V6 power tubes.

I’ve owned the same Mesa Studio 22 for thirty years and it’s never been into a repair shop.

It did about 8 years of gigging on the road, in and out of cars. Not even a blown tube.

The horror stories of Mesa amps are mostly just that, stories. At least as much so as any quality amp builder. Perhaps the newer Mesa/BooGibsons might be different, but Mesa has been a high quality, reliable amp company for decades. I’ve owned and played a lot of them since the 70s, without a failure. I own a California Tweed 4:40, and it’s a great little amp with a lot of flexibility. Mesa’s Fillmore series are also a great recent series. The Lone Star series have great Fender cleans.

Because it is so far to go for repairs for you, I’d say a quality amp build is worth the investment. But if you really dig the Deluxe Reverb, it’s a great amp. No reason to look further if the tone suits you!

It's weird that these stories about Mesa amps come up; they're internet/urban urban legend. Mesas have never given me any trouble, and I've owned a bunch.

In general, amps aren't "flavor of the month" for me. I make my living in the studio, and the gear needs to work well over the long haul. My newest amp is already 4 years old.

I've used Mesa amps since 1992, and they've been bulletproof. My son tours all over the US and the UK with a 15 year old Lone Star, and it never breaks down. More pros who have to depend on their amps have used Mesas over the years than you can shake a stick at.

For the last nine years, my two main amps have been PRS' hand-wired amps, and they're amazing, but I still do like my Mesas lot, and have had nothing but good luck with them.

The Sonzera is a nice sounding amp, but there's zero chance I'd buy an amp made in China.

Last edited:
I've had my Mesa/Boogie Studio 22+ for 35 years never a problem , same with my other 2 Mesas. I'd throw a Peavey Classic 30 in there , EL84s plenty of power , clean to crunch . I miss mine , sold it to a student.

Thanks for all the Mesa-Boogie replies …. As I noted earlier here, my first choice was MB because of their Fender connection. The first negative I heard about MB was from a tech who hated working on them for the way they were put together…. Later upon layer upon layer… and if something on the bottom layer goes south, it’s a nightmare to get to. He added that in his market (Oregon) there were as many MB’s on the used market as Fender’s… according to him, that’s indicative of reliability issues given that Fender sells more product.

I’d forgotten about Peavey’s Classic 30 so thanks for that info. I liked the one I had about 20 years ago. That was my backup amp and a student decided he wanted it more than I.

I’m going to throw all this info on the wall and see what sticks…. The Chinese build on the Sonzera is a detrimental thing for me as well. I saw the aftermath of a Chinese steel car lift failure…. And I can’t tell you how many failed car components I’ve seen returned that were Chinese manufactured. If you buy the cheap stuff you get the cheap stuff.

I’ve also had my eyes opened to the used market from a few online retailers and higher end Seattle retailers…. The search goes on…

Finding good customer service might be a key thing too. I have had good luck with Sweetwater (Randy Poteete), but others have their favorites.

I found a Divided by 13 EDT on Reverb around your price point. A tube broke in transit, but it has been great. Plus Fred will email you right back if you need any help.

Mesa is definitely living off the reputation of the early Mark series amp. I stopped working on them after the DC series and my Mark Five:25 had to be repaired under warranty for a faulty ribbon cable. While I have strong opinions about ribbon cables and tube amps, my amp should have never shipped from the factory with defective ribbon cable.

It's a low dollar option but I always enjoyed the Egnater Tweaker as a great sounding, multi-toned amp. I have used the 15 and the 40. Both provided me with great cleand and enough gain that I didn't feel the need for a pedal.

They are cathode biased, allowing power tube swaps. My 15 had EL34s most of the time, but when I wanted a bigger clean I'd pop 6L6s in there.

Not on your list, but it's a cool little amp. It reacts to a variety of speakers nicely, and each guitar retains its individual character.

Egnater - "Not on your list, but it's a cool little amp. It reacts to a variety of speakers nicely, and each guitar retains its individual character".

I've heard of them, but never heard one. Thanks for the info.

---------------------------------------

Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister20. They make them in combo and head/cab configuration.

I played a 40 (a used one) and the clean tone had a fuzz-like after-tone in the upper frequencies. I don't know how to describe it .... It wasn't "bell-like". I don't know if all H & K's are that way, and again, this one I played was used. I kept turning down trying to get it to lessen but never got it to go away.

----------------------------------------

Mesa is definitely living off the reputation of the early Mark series amp. I stopped working on them after the DC series and my Mark Five:25 had to be repaired under warranty for a faulty ribbon cable.

Do you think putting silicone on ribbon cable connections helps make them sturdier? I know it wouldn't have helped in your situation, but I watched a tech backstage slide PCB boards half-way out of the cabinets and to lay down a bead of silicone on ribbon cable connections.

I really like my Supro Keeley Custom 12.
25 watts Class A with master volume that makes it perfect for home or stage. Works extremely well as a pedal platform, does not have onboard reverb but I use it with a Keeley Trem o Verb and it rivals the reverb and tremolo on my Fender Amps. At $1300 new, you can put a nice little pedalboard together with the change.

Mesa is definitely living off the reputation of the early Mark series amp. I stopped working on them after the DC series and my Mark Five:25 had to be repaired under warranty for a faulty ribbon cable. While I have strong opinions about ribbon cables and tube amps, my amp should have never shipped from the factory with defective ribbon cable.
Yeah, defective parts or poor QC is a pain, and pops up more and more even in quality brands. No major amp maker is innocent of living off their reputations; especially Fender and Marshall. Still, they do make some good amps among the less-good models, and most issues among those good models are more a single amp as opposed to the entire batch being spotty. It's hard to make generalizations, as there is always the exception that can be cited. But my experiences in the last 20 years (Road King II, Nomad, Cali Tweed, Fillmore) have evidenced great amp builds that have held up on the road, not unlike my earlier 20 years of Mark series and even the 1976 Mk I that I added last year... still a screamer, that one.

I do fully admit that I think I've bought my last new Boogie, though. My very recent dealings with them have a decidedly less customer-centric feeling than it was before the buy-out. I wish them the best, but think the Mesa/Boogie I know is now a thing of the past, even if the amps never changed. The corporate stiffness is palpable.

PRS all but quit building the CAD amps (just one that I can think of now, the DG), but I have two HX/DAs that are stellar builds. I'm sure there are others out there, and your experience with amp components would make you a good source of opinions on finding a good compromise between build quality and price for the OP. My hope was to encourage the OP not to lean too heavily on the lambasting that goes on in forums. Much of it is overblown and ill-informed... not the result of experience that can be of real benefit.

Back