A Modest Proposal

László

Too Many Notes
Quite a few of the folks here have a list of their gear as part of the forum signature.

While that's often interesting, it's missing something: musical context.

There's no way we can put each others' opinions about a piece of gear in context if we have no idea of the music each of us plays - assuming it isn't stated in the post.

You and I might both have CU24s. I might play Brit-pop on mine into an AC30, you might play only funky clean licks straight into a console via a direct box. I'd get more out of you gear opinion knowing that than knowing we both play CU24s.

If I'm reading your opinion of the Gigantic Hairball Gagging Speaker Buster pedal, I'd like to know what kind of music you play so I can decide whether I should take a look at the pedal.

By the same token, if you're a metal player, wouldn't it be helpful to know that my opinion of the Cranky Substitute Teacher Overdrive isn't likely to matter one tiny bit to you because I don't play metal?

In other words, identifying our musical styles might be a good, helpful and (dare I say) considerate thing to do. So when I post this modest proposal, I'm going to update my signature and include musical styles I play.

"No one cares about your opinion anyway, Les."

"Maybe not. But I care about the context of everyone else's opinions."

"You see, Dr. Freud, I thought people would say, "Why that's a capital idea! Let's all do it!"

"Well, people want to do it. Just not that that it."

Au contraire, good doctor. I DO want to participate. But mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. So "I suck at all styles equally" seemed a bit harsh to the ol' ego.

This will be fun.

I started as a guitarist in the Tampa progressive scene - think Savatage and Crimson Glory. Then I got into death metal. We used to do keggers in the cow fields in Brandon. You'd get bands from all over the area and rock out on a flat bed. We were contemporaries with Death, Morbid Angel, Massacre, etc. Fun times.

Then I moved on to doing progressive hair metal. Imagine Poison meets Mercyful Fate. Interesting to say the least. That lasted a couple of years, then I went totally folk rock. Twelve string acoustic, two singers and a tambourine.

That band evolved into a pop hard rock band. We still wrote on acoustic but performed "fuzzed out" as the singer would say.

From there I joined a female fronted pop hard rock band. That was cool. We did a lot of road work and did a showcase for Sony. We were offered a development deal, but the singer was insulted that Sony wanted us to work with a producer to massage our material. That was disappointing.

From there I joined an outlaw country rock band. We did some shows with Devon Allman and his band. Things were getting hot with that band, but the singer broke it all up because he was expecting to make tons of $$$$ instantly with his original music. He went back to his cover band.

After that I joined a local metal band. We did a lot of road work. Sadly we never wrote new material, so after cutting an album and single with then I left. No sense in being in an original band that never writes....

From there I joined a thrash metal band as a bassist. We toured with DRI and Nuclear Assault. Fun times. I got fired because my mom got sick and I needed to take care of her. It was fine. The guitarist and I are still friends.

When mom got sick is when I started my "studio" career. What I do is not like Les. He's the real deal. In comparison, I'm like a low rent session player. I work with a lot of local singer- songwriters. I'll do anything from guitar work - usually the songwriter plays too, so my main job is to add fills and lead parts. Sometimes it's bass guitar, other times I will do drums. Sometimes I get to do a full accompaniment to a track that is only guitar/vocal or piano/vocal.

On my own, currently, I am composing an album of one track. I'm doing a space rock thing that modulates like an orchestral piece. I'll do a section and have the ending chord trail into the next by carrying the 3rd and using that to build the chord progression for the next section. Ultimately, I am aiming to do a song that will go through all the chords in a scale. I'm using lots of synths, samples, and ambient textures. So far I have two movements and am up to about 33 minutes.

Here are links to various projects....

This is the guy that was my writing partner in the folk rock band that evolved into pop rock. He's a great writer but his voice is an acquired taste.

Check out 8 days after on #SoundCloud

Here is the bandcamp for the female fronted band:

Here's a link to the metal band that never wrote new material:

And here's the link to my solo stuff.

Check out Maxhaus on #SoundCloud

Hope y'all found it interesting!!!

I'm listening to your playing and digging the heck out of what you do!

Wow re: the Maxhaus stuff. It sounds excellent. Are you on piano on the first tune?

think Savatage and Crimson Glory.

If only I knew who they were/are...
We were contemporaries with Death, Morbid Angel, Massacre, etc.
Um, don't know them either....

Imagine Poison meets Mercyful Fate.
Rescued, sorta. I've at least heard of Poison!
We toured with DRI and Nuclear Assault.
I'm clearly ignorant of what's happening, right? Because I have no clue about these bands!
Check out 8 days after on #SoundCloud
Liked it!
Here is the bandcamp for the female fronted band:
Singer was opposed to using autotune, I guess? o_O
And here's the link to my solo stuff.
This is my favorite set. I feel in addition to the piano work, I should also compliment your bass playing. It's smokin' on Roof with a View and Passion in Bb. Guitar solos are pretty sweet, too, obviously. I liked the harmony playing also. The writing is excellent and it's nicely arranged.

Hats off to you and your talent!

I'm listening to your playing and digging the heck out of what you do!

Wow re: the Maxhaus stuff. It sounds excellent. Are you on piano on the first tune?

If only I knew who they were/are...

Um, don't know them either....

Rescued, sorta. I've at least heard of Poison!

I'm clearly ignorant of what's happening, right? Because I have no clue about these bands!

Liked it!

Singer was opposed to using autotune, I guess? o_O

This is my favorite set. I feel in addition to the piano work, I should also compliment your bass playing. It's smokin' on Roof with a View and Passion in Bb. Guitar solos are pretty sweet, too, obviously. I liked the harmony playing also. The writing is excellent and it's nicely arranged.

Hats off to you and your talent!
Thank you sir!!! That means a lot coming from a pro like you.

Yes, that's me on piano. It's a newer skill set - I started getting serious with piano in 2005, taking lessons. I'm actually better versed on piano than guitar these days. That first tune, "Abraham", is for my cat. I got him the day they were going to put him down. He was a black Bombay that was a runt. The shelter charged me $5, hence the name Abraham. He was a kitten when I got him. He was a great animal friend. I cried beyond belief when I had to put him down. I still get sad thinking about it. Anyway. That song is for him.

Lol, you got it right- she hated the idea of auto tune!! I use Melodyne these days. She and I did a session a couple weeks ago. I Melodyned her this time and she was none the wiser!!

I love playing bass. Personally, I find the bass and drums to be incredibly important elements to my writing. The bass can add so much movement and excitement to a dull chord progression.

I feel very honored to have received these kind words!!

While I Like The Idea Of Musical Context I Am Not Sure It Even Matters In A Lot Of Instances So I Can Fully Disagree AND Agree. :)

A Good Delay Pedal Is A Good Delay Pedal Regardless If It Is Used In A Pop Rock Scenario Or Something Else. I Myself Welcome The Same Gear Being Used In Multiple Ways And In Multiple Styles As It Shows Me How Capable That Piece Of Gear Is. Granted...Some Things May Work Better In Certain Situations And I Get That. I Am Talking Overall Here And Not Splitting Hairs. ;)

My Concern Is It Will Cause People To Dismiss Various Pieces Of Gear Because A Person May Not Play That Style. People Will Become Pigeonholed Into A Box And That Is Of No Useful Purpose Musically To Be In That Position IMO.

All That Being Said, I Will Be The First To Admit That Certain Gear Can Cause A Player To Play Differently And Or Branch Out Into New Areas. I Find That Inspiring! I Like To Think I Give Good Gear Suggestions And I Always Talk Out Of Experience And No Fluff. Granted, My Experiences May Be Different Then Somebody Else's But It Is Solid Experience Nonetheless.

My Core Musical Foundation Is Thrash Metal. I Can Easily Get By In That Arena With A Great Amp And A Noise Gate. I Play All Kinds Of Things Predominantly In The Rock And Metal Styles. Gear Has Opened Me Up To All Kinds Of Stylistic Things And Caused Me To Venture Down Paths I May Not Have Done So Without Those Pieces (Amps, Guitars, Pedals, Etc).

While I Agree That Context Is Good, It Can Also Be Confining.

I play whatever nursery rhyme is on my current justinguitar lesson. Poorly. Sometimes the guitar sounds good. Often it doesn’t. My opinions on tone should never, ever (ever) be taken seriously by serious players. That said, I’m sure I will sometimes offer opinions on tone. Caveat Emptor.

While I Like The Idea Of Musical Context I Am Not Sure It Even Matters In A Lot Of Instances So I Can Fully Disagree AND Agree. :)

A Good Delay Pedal Is A Good Delay Pedal Regardless If It Is Used In A Pop Rock Scenario Or Something Else. I Myself Welcome The Same Gear Being Used In Multiple Ways And In Multiple Styles As It Shows Me How Capable That Piece Of Gear Is. Granted...Some Things May Work Better In Certain Situations And I Get That. I Am Talking Overall Here And Not Splitting Hairs. ;)

My Concern Is It Will Cause People To Dismiss Various Pieces Of Gear Because A Person May Not Play That Style. People Will Become Pigeonholed Into A Box And That Is Of No Useful Purpose Musically To Be In That Position IMO.

All That Being Said, I Will Be The First To Admit That Certain Gear Can Cause A Player To Play Differently And Or Branch Out Into New Areas. I Find That Inspiring! I Like To Think I Give Good Gear Suggestions And I Always Talk Out Of Experience And No Fluff. Granted, My Experiences May Be Different Then Somebody Else's But It Is Solid Experience Nonetheless.

My Core Musical Foundation Is Thrash Metal. I Can Easily Get By In That Arena With A Great Amp And A Noise Gate. I Play All Kinds Of Things Predominantly In The Rock And Metal Styles. Gear Has Opened Me Up To All Kinds Of Stylistic Things And Caused Me To Venture Down Paths I May Not Have Done So Without Those Pieces (Amps, Guitars, Pedals, Etc).

While I Agree That Context Is Good, It Can Also Be Confining.
Excellent points. Hmmm.

I'd say it's good to know context, and also good not to let context be too confining or off-putting.

Back