A Modest Proposal

This will be fun.

I started as a guitarist in the Tampa progressive scene - think Savatage and Crimson Glory. Then I got into death metal. We used to do keggers in the cow fields in Brandon. You'd get bands from all over the area and rock out on a flat bed. We were contemporaries with Death, Morbid Angel, Massacre, etc. Fun times.

Then I moved on to doing progressive hair metal. Imagine Poison meets Mercyful Fate. Interesting to say the least. That lasted a couple of years, then I went totally folk rock. Twelve string acoustic, two singers and a tambourine.

That band evolved into a pop hard rock band. We still wrote on acoustic but performed "fuzzed out" as the singer would say.

From there I joined a female fronted pop hard rock band. That was cool. We did a lot of road work and did a showcase for Sony. We were offered a development deal, but the singer was insulted that Sony wanted us to work with a producer to massage our material. That was disappointing.

From there I joined an outlaw country rock band. We did some shows with Devon Allman and his band. Things were getting hot with that band, but the singer broke it all up because he was expecting to make tons of $$$$ instantly with his original music. He went back to his cover band.

After that I joined a local metal band. We did a lot of road work. Sadly we never wrote new material, so after cutting an album and single with then I left. No sense in being in an original band that never writes....

From there I joined a thrash metal band as a bassist. We toured with DRI and Nuclear Assault. Fun times. I got fired because my mom got sick and I needed to take care of her. It was fine. The guitarist and I are still friends.

When mom got sick is when I started my "studio" career. What I do is not like Les. He's the real deal. In comparison, I'm like a low rent session player. I work with a lot of local singer- songwriters. I'll do anything from guitar work - usually the songwriter plays too, so my main job is to add fills and lead parts. Sometimes it's bass guitar, other times I will do drums. Sometimes I get to do a full accompaniment to a track that is only guitar/vocal or piano/vocal.

On my own, currently, I am composing an album of one track. I'm doing a space rock thing that modulates like an orchestral piece. I'll do a section and have the ending chord trail into the next by carrying the 3rd and using that to build the chord progression for the next section. Ultimately, I am aiming to do a song that will go through all the chords in a scale. I'm using lots of synths, samples, and ambient textures. So far I have two movements and am up to about 33 minutes.

Here are links to various projects....

This is the guy that was my writing partner in the folk rock band that evolved into pop rock. He's a great writer but his voice is an acquired taste.

Check out 8 days after on #SoundCloud

Here is the bandcamp for the female fronted band:

Here's a link to the metal band that never wrote new material:

And here's the link to my solo stuff.

Check out Maxhaus on #SoundCloud

Hope y'all found it interesting!!!
Huh! Interesting stuff. I'm surprised to find I like the heavy metal stuff. Normally I find that genre boring - it sounds to me like just "chugga, chugga, chugga" with lots of energy but no real melody. A lot of people I know are surprised that I don't like Metallica but their stuff sounds to me like what I just described.

You've got a wide range but I like most all of it. I envy your talent!

I occasionally dive into covers but mainly focus on my original music. Rock style blues is what I play the most but I love learning the old 60's-70's funk guitar. Main equipment in all this is my 99 CE and the Mesa 5:50 express plus. My pedalboard has the usual effects. Distortion pedals (3), compressor, harmoizer, etc. Sometimes I just like to take the drum machine and jam with all the different patterns. I firmly believe if you are a musician, you need to appreciate all styles of music. You don't have to like them but at appreciate the the effort to get your music out there.

Somewhat complicated for me. Les, you’ve heard my band so you know what that is all about. Yet, if I’m not playing in the band, my whole taste and tonal palette change. From Archon/SLO 100 with high output bridge humbucker(mostly) to Matchless barely overdriven Starla/SC standard soapbars/NF3.

Somewhat complicated for me. Les, you’ve heard my band so you know what that is all about. Yet, if I’m not playing in the band, my whole taste and tonal palette change. From Archon/SLO 100 with high output bridge humbucker(mostly) to Matchless barely overdriven Starla/SC standard soapbars/NF3.
Your band's music is terrific! But yes, you have excellent and eclectic taste in tone, that I know.

Ya know, I.don't know, ya know?
5ffd3e294d6d0.image.png

Ok, serious answer time. I didn't previously because I think everyone here knows, but I'll play.

My daily playlist of music runs from Hendrix and Trower to Black Sabbath and Megadeth to Kansas and Yes to Dream Theater and Circus Maximus, with a heavy dose of Van Halen and Ozzie. So, from blues rock, to metal, to thrash, to prog to hard rock.

Which will the next statement make perfect sense: I played two sets of Bluegrass in front of 2-3K people last Saturday. :p Yes, I don't play "bluegrass" but I play lead in the band. I refuse to go too far into a real bluegrass style and always told them I would not do it (I could. Don't want too! LOL) I've been trying to leave this band for 5 years with no luck. Just not my thing AT ALL, but here we are.

And what style music goes along with the change in gear?
Pretty much anything not on the heavier side of rock/metal. Blues, funk, classic rock type sounds, ambient spacey ethereal stuff. I think I mentioned in another thread that I’ve only played a plugged in electric guitar once in the last 2+ months. Mostly been playing acoustic. I’m trying to figure out what to do there, I’ve got a pile of ideas started but not finishing anything.

Back