Compressors. Who uses them and how?

Compression was always a mystery. After seeing a Trey Anastasio rig rundown I built his basic rig in my Headrush. Pretty amazing how that works, having the compressor at the end of the chain.

Previous I only used it at the beginning and didn't like it so left them alone for 30 years.

This is the Two Knob compressor block from HR, based on the Ross Compressor that happened to be the same as Trey used.

Loved the Joe Frazier band, that was crazy!
Phantom, any chance you'd share your Trey rig? I just bought the Headrush and I'd love some advice.

Title say it all. Curious who uses them and thye way you do that. Dont spare us on the details.

Reason I am asking is the contradiction I think I see with guitar players. So many posts about (picking) dynamics, subtleties in tone and before you know it: a compressor in the chain. I know a lot of guitar players who do so, however I do not get it. My picking dynamics are an essential part of my tone and playing style.

But, since I seem to be a minority I would like to pick your brains. What am I missing?
The problem is that alot of guitarists don't know the correct way to use compressors, they will tell you that a compressor will make your tone suck or that a compressor will change/kill your dynamics. All of that is important incorrect. I once had a script MXR Dyna Comp and I didn't know much about compression so at that time I thought it was a horrible pedal. I sold it a couple days after I got it lol

Fast forward to the present.....
I now have 3 completed pedalboards each one has a compressor pedal. I use them as always on pedals, they enhance the clarity, sustain and overall tonal harmonics of my rig. And alot of musicians do not know that most compressor pedals include an on-board pre-amp this helps alot, you can hear The difference if you plugged into an interface.

A compressor should leave your tone and dynamics alone while making your tube amp feel like it's cranked to 11 even though it's on 2 and a half.... I've tried alot of compressors from Wampler to Carl Martin.

My Favs are:
Suhr Woodshed
Keely Mini Compressor
Suhr Koji
Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone

Of course I pre-ordered the new Philosopher's Tone 2 pedal which has a boost. I guess they're trying to compete with Wampler's Wong Compressor.

I keep it in the family and use the PRS Mary Cries. Tim Pierce can explain the benefits better than I:

Doug
Beautiful demo and great to see a compressor being used comprehensively with humbuckers. More humbucker players should be playing with a compressor to enhance their tone. They just need to learn how.

Can't wait for this!

Back