SE 'Paul's Guitar' - How good are they?

Eldar Vox

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and received my first PRS Silver Sky SE in Stone Blue a few days ago. I love it and am very impressed with the build quality and the shape and feel of the neck and frets. The main criticism is the controls that don't fit properly and I have ordered some copper sleeves hoping they will fix them. For the price I paid in the new year sale, I am happy.

I am thinking of buying another SE and have been looking at the 'Paul's Guitar SE'. I have some questions, please.

1. What's the general view on these guitars? Good, indifferent etc Are the other SE stoptail guitars considered to be better?

2. Is the stop tail bridge the same as the core model, or is it a copy? Some of the blurb seems to equate it with the original design, but is it an import like the s pickups made in Indonesia?
'The SE Paul's Guitar also features a PRS stoptail bridge that is engineered with curved string slots and brass inserts, designed to take full advantage of the resonant properties of the guitar. This bridge is the same machined stoptail with brass inserts as spec'd on the Core Paul's Guitar, making it the perfect choice for players who demand the ultimate in performance and tone.'
If it is an import stop tail, would it make any difference to 'upgrade' to the core version?

3. The neck is a wide fat profile, and mahogany rather than maple. What difference does this make having a mahogany neck in place of a maple neck? What sort of profile is the wide fat neck?

'Crafted from the finest materials available, the SE Paul's Guitar features a solid mahogany body with a flame maple veneer, topped with a maple top wood that is finished with a shallow violin carve. The neck is also made from mahogany and features a multi-ply construction with a wide-fat shape that is both comfortable and fast. The rosewood fretboard is adorned with classic bird inlays, while the vintage-style tuners are engineered to promote resonance and sustain.'
Thanks,

The split tones are great. As for the inherent tone of the guitar (ie how the strings vibrate, the character of the string vibration), it’s the closest SE you can get to the 25” McCarty with the single stop tail.

Great for high gain lead tones, and lower gain Hendrix-esque tones.

I had one of the originals, traded it, regretted it, then got another.

1. It's all praise on here for them. They stay in tune well, the pickups have a beautiful bloom quality to them and all around it feels like quality.

2. I've compared them both, the SE Paul's guitar was so good it got me back into PRS after years of going without. The bridge is the same from what I could tell. If it's two different shops machining the same bridge then it's still the same bridge, its well made.

3. It's not a baseball bat. But it's a good shape that I think the majority of people prefer. I found it was equally nice for rhythm playing and was not prohibitive for lead widdly widdly stuff. Mahogany for the neck is very complimentary to the make up of the guitar. I'll say I've had PRS with both maple and mahogany necks, I don't have the maple necked ones anymore.

They're great guitars. The pickups have soapbar like qualities to the sound but with the benefits of being humbuckers. I got my first one on a trade and was blown away by it. If you've got a good amp you can really dial in some some lovely, lovely tones. I'll add Ive never liked the SE pickups but found the TCI set in the SE Paul's to be an absolute cut above.

I'm editing to add that like Tonart mentioned the split sounds are fantastic. Not the regular half the volume terrible "coil split" tones on most guitars.

Also check out a SE 24 - 08. I was going to buy a Paul's but that neck doesn't suit. The sales guy just smiled and handed me the 24 - 08. They have the same pickups and both have the 2 toggles switches and 8 tones.

Also check out a SE 24 - 08. I was going to buy a Paul's but that neck doesn't suit. The sales guy just smiled and handed me the 24 - 08. They have the same pickups and both have the 2 toggles switches and 8 tones.

I don't know what it is, but I've owned both those guitars, and the pauls guitar was so much better overall. It sounded much better. Even though they are apparently the same pickups, the 24-08 sounded much harsher, the Paul's guitar sounded so creamy and beautiful. I regret selling that guitar

The neck (subjunctively) was much better for me on the Paul's guitar.

How good they are is hard to answer objectively, but I’d say it’s the standout SE model. All PRS guitars are built well and built to last so no worries there. Paul’s guitar is special because obviously it’s Paul’s personal preference and as such it’s not necessarily designed for a target buyer group. In other words, the guitar is very much a concept that should be taken as a whole. It is what it is. A clone of anything else it’s not. A modding platform it’s not, unless parts are upgraded to their core line counterparts. Unless you love it for what it is, steer clear.

Stylistically, the guitar can go anywhere IMHO. It likes a ton of gain, it likes sparky clean, anything goes. Personally I think it excels at Robben Ford’s corner of the universe, but that’s just me. If I could only have one guitar, it might be Paul’s.

One thing to watch out for is the character of the midrange. If possible A/B the guitar to one of your own that you know and like. Many PRS demo videos make me cringe because of strident midrange that I personally do not like, although usually it’s because of the amp.

2. Is the stop tail bridge the same as the core model, or is it a copy? Some of the blurb seems to equate it with the original design, but is it an import like the s pickups made in Indonesia?
'The SE Paul's Guitar also features a PRS stoptail bridge that is engineered with curved string slots and brass inserts, designed to take full advantage of the resonant properties of the guitar. This bridge is the same machined stoptail with brass inserts as spec'd on the Core Paul's Guitar, making it the perfect choice for players who demand the ultimate in performance and tone.'
If it is an import stop tail, would it make any difference to 'upgrade' to the core version?
I think in the release vid PRSh was pointing out it's an SE with a Core bridge, and mine looks exactly the same as the Core bridge. The nut is the same material as the Core also but as discussed in other threads is made overseas.

Its a great Axe!

Thanks for all the replies.
I have a mesaboogie Studio 22+ do you think it will match well with that?

I am looking to leave behind my shredding days and play more rock, blues and pop music. Bends are important to me as well as runs, legato, and rhythm .

If I buy the SE Paul’s guitar I should be well covered with the SE Silver Sky I now have.

What’s the view on finish, I know it’s personal but some colours stand the test of time better than overs and have better resale value in the long run. I am not sure about the light or dark finish on the necks and back of the guitar.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the replies.
I have a mesaboogie Studio 22+ do you think it will match well with that?

I am looking to leave behind my shredding days and play more rock, blues and pop music. Bends are important to me as well as runs, legato, and rhythm .

If I buy the SE Paul’s guitar I should be well covered with the SE Silver Sky I now have.

What’s the view on finish, I know it’s personal but some colours stand the test of time better than overs and have better resale value in the long run. I am not sure about the light or dark finish on the necks and back of the guitar.

Thanks again

PRS and Boogie is a match made in heaven, just ask @sergiodeblanc

I bought a Bugera PS1 attenuator to go with my Mesa Studio 22, which works very nicely and gives some sweeeet tones.

They are both listed as TCI-S on the website, but they have different ohm readings. Check your se2408 readings.. They should be closer to a 8515S.

I know it's confusing as can be, and makes zero sense for PRS to do that, but looks they did. It came up not too long back in a thread, and I was surprised when it was confirmed.

Yes heard that before and also they are wired and split differently. They don't make it very clear, do they.

Back