Compressors. Who uses them and how?

Gtrbldr

Not a new member
Title say it all. Curious who uses them and thye way you do that. Dont spare us on the details.

Reason I am asking is the contradiction I think I see with guitar players. So many posts about (picking) dynamics, subtleties in tone and before you know it: a compressor in the chain. I know a lot of guitar players who do so, however I do not get it. My picking dynamics are an essential part of my tone and playing style.

But, since I seem to be a minority I would like to pick your brains. What am I missing?

I use them at the mix board to help the acoustic guitars be a bit smoother , and a bit for the more dynamic singers .
I use them to tame the dynamics on guitar solos, but in the mix, not on the pedalboard. The one I like best is the Universal Audio LA-2A, both hardware and their UAD version (which is very good). The LA-2A was always a classic for vocal chains, and the guitar sits in that frequency range. The LA-2A works very well as a result. The great thing about the LA-2A is that you don't hear it pumping. It's a very smooth, natural compression, and it's very easy to dial in.

I like easy. The LA-2A almost always works well.

On a pedalboard, I use a compressor for styles of music that often use that kind of pedal, like country-ish stuff or funky stuff. I use it very sparingly, just to 'kiss' the peaks of the signal. I'm not big on pedal compressors, but there are a few good ones.

There's very little comparison between a good hardware rack mount or UAD compressor when tracking, and a pedal compressor. But each has its uses.

It depends on the sound you're after as well as the material. Like @Greywolf said, for the dynamic/louder singers around 3db of compression can help. With guitars if I'm using really light strings a rounded compressor can attenuate the plinkyness. If you're going for a clean sound with a good acoustic tone already coming out then it may not be necessary. And as always, how things sit in the mix make a difference and how dynamic the song is.

I'm not much help as I don't use a compressor on my board, but I'm with you. It seems some people spend a ton of money only to have the signal squashed to the point they might as well be playing a Hondo Les Paul through a Peavey Chorus amp. I understand a lot of country pickers use them and it helps get that sound, but for everything else, I don't get it. I also do understand using them during a mix-down or through the PA because it might be needed when you go through other devices. Now don't get me wrong, I may be way out of line on this and am curious to read other's comments.

I always disliked compressors used the traditional way - very first in the chain and set to squash everything after. Things changed when I read how compressors are used in the studios, and I started placing mine very last in the chain, in an fx loop after everything. In the same way László is using his, just in hardware form and on my pedalboard. The way I like to think about it is essentially as a limiter. One that will let me keep my playing dynamics and the way how the preamp stage of my amp is reacting to picking dynamics of my guitar, just keeping things uniform before the signal hits the power amp. To me, it's a form of mastering tool: Mimiks, the amp sag on low volumes too just fine.

I'm using Origin Cali76 Bass. I don't play bass; the reason I chose this compressor over the guitar version is the additional HPF control. It helps to have low frequencies uncompressed. I like my lows to be quick, and compressors tend to make them squashed and lifeless - this one doesn't. The Attack and Release are combined into one knob, too, so it's quicker to dial in—other than that, structurally, it's the same compressor as for guitar.

This article explains the use of the compressors last in the chain well https://origineffects.com/2021/09/17/tech-tips-compressors-always-first-in-the-chain/

Edit: I forgot to say - since my amp has the master volume before the FX Loop, my compressor IS my actual master volume. I set the volume of my rig with the OUT control on my Cali76.

Last edited:
I can see the use in a mix at the end of the chain to avoid spikes in output level. And I get the chickin pickin' rationale or use it as a boost.

Luckily a tube amp (or good profile or model) has a natural compression built in, at the right point in the chain, when pushing the powestage. Thus reducing the need for a compressor I think.

However to reduce plinkiness is puzzeling me: doesn't that mean the guitar is flawed to begin with?

I can see the use in a mix at the end of the chain to avoid spikes in output level. And I get the chickin pickin' rationale or use it as a boost.

Luckily a tube amp (or good profile or model) has a natural compression built in, at the right point in the chain, when pushing the powestage. Thus reducing the need for a compressor I think.

However to reduce plinkiness is puzzeling me: doesn't that mean the guitar is flawed to begin with?
No. Lots of players like to fatten and thicken up the tone of their Strat (oops...Silver Sky), especially at low volumes.

It's a pretty normal thing to do. It's also why Bill Finnigan invented the Klon.

You wouldn't even know I had it on but you'd notice when I turned it off. The Wampler EGO is very transparent and subtle.

Nashville great Brent Mason use the EGO. It's a big part his sound.

It's not your usual compressor.

Last edited:
Pretty much the way I use compression, too. It's a very good article.

Yeah, Origin's blog section is excellent, and so is their Cali76. This and Chasetone's secret preamp are always on; they became part of my amp. I don't even remember how my amp sounds without them any more. Im not sure if it's entirely a good thing, but all in all, I like the way my rig sounds

Yeah, Origin's blog section is excellent, and so is their Cali76. This and Chasetone's secret preamp are always on; they became part of my amp. I don't even remember how my amp sounds without them any more. Im not sure if it's entirely a good thing, but all in all, I like the way my rig sounds
The Cali 76 is a very, very good sounding compressor pedal. I'd have bought one, but I already had the Suhr on my board, and it's a very good sounding compressor, just not as awesome as the Cali76.

At some point I'm going to try PRS' new compressor pedal.

Title say it all. Curious who uses them and thye way you do that. Dont spare us on the details.

Reason I am asking is the contradiction I think I see with guitar players. So many posts about (picking) dynamics, subtleties in tone and before you know it: a compressor in the chain. I know a lot of guitar players who do so, however I do not get it. My picking dynamics are an essential part of my tone and playing style.

But, since I seem to be a minority I would like to pick your brains. What am I missing?
First of all, todays compressor pedals offer mix knobs and internal algorithms to maintain picking dynamics. Unless you’re maxing out the squish(compression), you can have both. Which is exactly how I use mine as a sort of compressed boost. The other day I played my amp at nearly full volume without any pedals (not at home!).
It sounded exactly like how it did with a compressor only louder and harder to control. Nowadays it is neither practical or possible to play at that kind of volume. Using a compressor makes that kind of creamy sustain possible without getting arrested.

Good guitar, good amp, purity of tone - less need for pedals.

PRS, wireless- tuner - way - amp - delay in the loop.

The Cali 76 is a very, very good sounding compressor pedal. I'd have bought one, but I already had the Suhr on my board, and it's a very good sounding compressor, just not as awesome as the Cali76.

At some point I'm going to try PRS' new compressor pedal.
I tried it and it’s very good as a compressor or a boost. It wasn’t that much better than my Keeley though so I passed on it.

Back