Waiting For The Man

I included the fingerboard detail because I decided to have the fingerboard and headstock sport a clean, modern look. So I asked for the J-birds and eliminated even the stock model's fingerboard and headstock purfling. So you get this simple, shiny black surface, like the finish of a concert grand piano, broken up only by the headstock eagle, and the birds and frets on the fingerboard. The J-birds strike me as modern and understated.

I think the ebony rosette sets it off pretty well.

I did leave the purfling on the body because I figured why not, but I do think the guitar has a fairly uncluttered look that appeals to my personal aesthetic for an instrument.
I really liked the way you spec'd out this guitar with a focus on clean aesthetics. There of course is nothing wrong with adding bling, but I feel there's something about putting an order together that focuses on careful appointments that complement the whole. I think you knocked it out of the park!

I really liked the way you spec'd out this guitar with a focus on clean aesthetics. There of course is nothing wrong with adding bling, but I feel there's something about putting an order together that focuses on careful appointments that complement the whole. I think you knocked it out of the park!

That he did.

That is impressive! Simple (relatively speaking), tasteful, classy... Quality. A real beauty. In my opinion, too often some Private Stock builds end up being about 'how can I out-flashy the other guy?'. Not the case here. It's obvious that you had a vision and stuck with what matters most. I hope you enjoy it. Please give us a tone report?

Lloyd

Out of curiosity Les, what is that inlay material that you used? Paua? Abalone?

Thanks for the kind wishes and comments, guys!

Wow, Les! She's a stunner! I forget, do you have another Tonare?

I did. When I decided I wanted maple, I sold it and ordered this one. In retrospect, I should have kept it and ordered this one anyway!

But had I done so, a certain person in this establishment would have been very unhappy, and this way she was actually looking forward to this guitar coming.. ;)

Out of curiosity Les, what is that inlay material that you used? Paua? Abalone?

I had to check! It's green abalone. I think that's what comes on the stock model, and I liked it.

My original plan was to order it without any color stain on the maple, so it'd look to most folks like a basic, traditional small jumbo. I had this idea in my head that if I pulled something too fancy looking out of the case at a session, I'd have a lot of explaining to do! I sort of was thinking about stealth.

But when Jack discussed it with the PS team, they suggested this Smoky Blonde color instead. Gosh, I'm happy they did! And during the finishing process, they also suggested the very light burst around the edges.

As if pulling a PRS, any PRS, out of its case wouldn't result in a discussion with those present at a session! I always get questions about how I like it, or how nice it looks, etc.! Occasionally I get the snarky, "Oh another fancy PRS for Les" comment. And I've made my peace with that one!

Truth is, I'm a good player -- at that certain set of things I do -- but going beyond that small set of things, I'm not very impressed with my skills. So I have been kind of shy about pulling out an attention-getter at a session. But recently I decided that it ain't about deserve - it's about what you want. So to heck with the idea that you have to be great to somehow deserve a great guitar.

I really valued the PS team and Paul M's input, as they've put together a lot of guitars. I went with both suggestions. Sometimes ya gotta let an artist be an artist!

Last edited:
Gorgeous, almost too beautiful to play. Congrats!

I know what you mean, but in person it isn't off-putting -- you really do want to grab it and play it!

It honestly doesn't look any fancier in person than, say, a Martin 40 series, unless you look closely. Than you see the very high level of quality. But you truly do want to play it when you see it!

Back